Looking for replacement froe handles

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Hi all,

As per the title I am looking for a replacement froe handle for my ray Iles froe.
I have a very small split developing and I don't think it will take much abuse.
My google foo has failed me and though I could make my own (in fact I probably will do a few for spares) I have no seasoned wood to hand and would have to make them from green.

Anyway does anyone know of anywhere that sells replacement handles even if slightly oversized that I can trim down?

Cheers, Hamster

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Make one with green Ash, the worse that can happen would be that you might have to re-do the wedge if it shrank a lot.......................

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Make one with green Ash, the worse that can happen would be that you might have to re-do the wedge if it shrank a lot.......................

None of the froes I have use wedges, they are just friction fitted like a pick axe handle or a tomahawk so even easier to make.

You could pick up a replacement axe/pick axe/mattock handle in hickory from somewhere like b&q and just whittle it down until its the right size and length.

Hope that helps :)

Bam. :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use a bit of eucalyptus for mine - it's a round branch and took very little work to fit - doesn't have to, it doesn't take the same stresses as an axe would

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
None of the froes I have use wedges, they are just friction fitted like a pick axe handle or a tomahawk so even easier to make.

You could pick up a replacement axe/pick axe/mattock handle in hickory from somewhere like b&q and just whittle it down until its the right size and length.

Hope that helps :)

Bam. :)

Even better! just leave plenty of room at the fat end and it'll slip further down as the wood shrinks. I learn something every day on this forum :)

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
Thanks guys, I may grab a pick handle and mod it as a quick fix. I am going to make a few spares myself but think I will need to season them as I don't think green wood would handle, excuse the pun, stress of the levering when splitting larger things like planks and squaring off logs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE