Looking for leads on a machete blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Most machetes are 2 or 3mm thick at the spine. A 5mm thick machete would weigh a ton and be a pig to use for any length of time. Some of the shorter ones are a little thicker but they are mostly thin. Also keep in mind that many swords, even some of the longer ones, were often only 3 - 4mm thick.

cletus

Sep 9, 2010
leeds
what about using an old leaf spring mate.got a couple of bits in workshop if that any good no charge.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Thanks for your replies.

I already have the one I posted the like too but for my purposes the blade isn't thick enough.

Cletus thanks for your offer of a leaf spring but actually having ago at making one is way out of my league.

Xunil, your right most machetes are only 2/3mm thick but the Martindale golok is 4mm but for what I want it for is the wrong shape but the thickness was ideal. I have an original 1860ish naval cutlass bayonet under the bed and that has at least 5mm thick spine and not that bad to hold even though its about 80cm long. I did have a victorian police sword and I think that had a similar spine thickness as the cutlass.

My idea was to have a usable machete sized knife suitable for 15th century re-enactment (not on the battle field I hasten to add :))

I did think I had a lead on an ebay seller but he wont supply to UK ebay members; he was from Birmingham! Heinnie Haynes had a good coat of looking at and so did Ronnies but nothing there that jumped out at me.

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
ka-bar is coming with a new machete, should be out around may.
14" long, 4,2mm thick and its called the grass machete.
i think it will have a US price of around 50-60$

and swords customisations are very fun, here is my first project:
before:
SH2203.jpg

so far:
6.jpg

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
your better of getting yourself a bit of steel and making one. starting with a machete limits you for the size and thickness you want, is more expensive, and harder to cut because it will already be tempered...#
get a bit of 01 tool steel form cromwells, or a leaf spring. if you can make a machete into a sword you can just as easily make one from a bit of steel, it requires the same tools.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
All I was going to do was change the handle if the machete was the same blade style that I wanted.

I have found the the one that looks like what I want but cant' buy it off ebay as the rules won't allow him to sell to uk members. Pants or what!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE