Looking for Flint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 31, 2013
Guer, France
Allo everyone,
I'm currently living in the region of Brittany, France a hop across the English Channel of the UK and I'm having trouble finding flint. I know what it should look like and where it is likely to be found. I've checked geographical maps and I know there is sedimentary rock in this area (village of Guer) but I haven't seen anything in construction sites, streams, or on roads. Advice or help anyone?:eek::news:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hey Ochre, welcome to BCUK mate. I'm just up the road from you in Normandy (though I'm currently in the UK for the Christmas season).

I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but up on the D-Day beaches you'll find some flint. As ateallthepies and HillBill said if you can find chalk you'll find flint. On Boxing day I was walking along the Margate coast in East Kent and saw loads of it in the chalky cliffs there.

Good luck with the search buddy.

Dec 31, 2013
Guer, France
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll try to head up to the Normandy beaches the next vacation and right now chalk is my obsession:D Sounds like England has much better supplies of flint and I might have to visit, happy hunting:)

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
I live near the South Downs and volunteer at Butser Ancient Farm. There are hundreds of flint nodules lying in piles. I could perhaps send some over to you?

Any chance you could send some up my way as not much flint around here.I would pay for postage.
Jazz

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I have a chalk quarry on my permission. Lots of un excavated flint
Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can't help thinking about how and why flint must have been traded back in the various stone ages. There would be some people who needed it but struggled to find it in their own areas and others with it going spare so, presumably it will have been fairly common to use it almost as currency?

Steve

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
In North America, lithic materials (knappable stone) were traded from coast to coast. I am sure the same happened on your side of the pond. Arrow points have actually been found here that had been knapped from English flint. Most likely sourced from ballast material from early sailing ships. We can still find English flint on our beaches.
Woody

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
In North America, lithic materials (knappable stone) were traded from coast to coast. I am sure the same happened on your side of the pond. Arrow points have actually been found here that had been knapped from English flint. Most likely sourced from ballast material from early sailing ships. We can still find English flint on our beaches.
Woody
That's fascinating. It's crazy to think how much the sea farers have dumped over the side of the centuries, it could be an archeologists nightmare or dream come true in years to come.

Remember to be carefully if you're napping when in the bush, leave a coin in the area you are in if you aren't sure you have collected all the shards or tools used :)

Paul W

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 5, 2005
SE London
I can't help thinking about how and why flint must have been traded back in the various stone ages. There would be some people who needed it but struggled to find it in their own areas and others with it going spare so, presumably it will have been fairly common to use it almost as currency?

Steve

There are parts of Europe with no flint as well as parts abundant in it. England for example is full of flint but it's rare in Scotland, Scandinavia has a lot of flint, but none in Finland,Germany and Austria have little flint while France is full of the stuff. So flint got traded a lot, I heard a report but have been unable to confirm it that English flint got traded as far a Russia during the stone age.

However the big prehistoric trade was the obsidian trade. Flint was common but obsidian rare and of great value, it travelled great distances from source. It's believed Catalhoyuk in Turkey the 9000 year old Neolithic proto-city was built largely on the obsidian trade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE