Looking for a sewing machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Swmbo ain't all that happy about me using her machine for leather working...... Can't blame her the one she has isn't designed for leather or thick woolen blankets. I however know nothing about what to look for! Any advice or pointers appreciated.

Orric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I would suggest that you look for something like a Singer or a Jones or Pfaff or Brother, but make sure it's got a metal body. The plastic ones end up falling apart they go eggy coloured and crumble :sigh: while the older sixties and early seventies machines are still in really good nick and modern enough to easily get spares 'and' they're considered old fashioned enough to buy cheaply :D

All you really need is a machine that will sew forward, backwards and do a zigzag stitch. Anything else for basic sturdy sewing really isn't needed.

There are a lot of much more expensive machines out there, as well as really, really good older ones, but the cheap end of modern is pretty clunkery and the really, really good older ones (hand or treadle) are awkward to store in modern homes.

See if you can find one with it's case still in good condition. I've got two and they're brilliant :)

cheers,
Toddy

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
I helped out at an auction last week, and there three old type singers there. They each went for around £20!

Shouldn't be hard to find a decent one for a good price.

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
Hi there I have hand cranked singer I found on ebay broken, but there are loads of videos on youtube on how to tread and repair and also lots of spares on ebay too.
the benefit I find is you can go nice and slow when stitching leather so the needles won't snap as often. I found stitching wet leather easier to do, and it will shrink and tighten up

But with anything complicated you will need a wife to turn the handle for you lol

the only problem with getting a rare model is availability of parts

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Depends, it really does.
Depends on it's condition, and how much work it needs, how easy it is to obtain spares, etc.,
It can be all too easily an expensive frustration, tbh.

If you're not going to be sewing thick leather then something like this would be more practical.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-s...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item43bf68bbfd

This one is considered the ultimate reliable machine.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-M...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item4176bc9fe5

and better yet, this is a Merit....think Singer on steroids :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item3a84cbbe66
atb,
Mary

Last edited:
I have a singer 185k and it is very good, I think the best one for upholstery (thats not purpose built) is a singer slant needle, it was made in germany but the only problem with it is you can fit most of your hand under it. I will get the number of it this week as I have loaned it to someone.

A tough and very good machine is a bernina 700, it does have a nylon gear but my one has been running since i nicked it from school 20 odd years ago and I have made some coats and the leather piping for a library chair I did up.

You can find them on ebay but also look around local community centres who do jumble sales, when a local snuffs it we were always getting them handed in when I ran them, i got an almost perfect singer 15 that way, it still had the factory grease on it.

Firebow Swagger

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2013
United Kingdom/Essex
The best part of an old singer is stripping it down,cleaning and rebuilding it , sounds kinda sad but they are mechanically amazing ..and we dont have guns to strip in the UK :lmao:
I can't quite do it blindfolded yet

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Keep an eye on charity shops - often see Singers + Jones machines. Singer machines are easier to get leather needles for - you can get them for Jones, just more of a faff. I've got a 1907 Jones + a 1950's Singer, both hand crank + both £25, both in full working order. One from a charity shop, one from a junk/vintage shop.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can find a good hand crank, they'll go through almost anything, but you have only one hand to guide whatever you're working with under the needle.....I learned to sew on one since I couldn't reach the treadle on the other machine.
Someone got a bargain on the Merritt though, if it's in as minted condition as advertised.

Servicing ? I leave that to the menfolks :eek: I just use the machines :) but even the newer singers are interesting inside :D

Bernina's are good, but they get more credence than I think they deserve because they're the ones who have the contracts for the HE at schools. They are the 'familiar' name to a lot of those who want to sew. Expensive, especially compared to others available nowadays.

cheers,
Toddy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just saw this Singer 201k on ebay with a video of it in action. Pretty impressive stuff it was sewing through

[video=youtube;7cd-rZYuO_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cd-rZYuO_Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I don't know how I've missed this thread, but I would recommend the 201k head and shoulders above most machines available for the money. The one linked to by Mesquite looks to me to be in great condition and that is no money at all for a machine that'll last as long as it's used; that one is worth paying good money for.

I've used 201's for some years and for the kind of thing we on this forum who are not expert will use them for, they are unbeatable and very forgiving of the novice.......................atb mac

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Look on freecycle, I picked up a pfaff a couple of years ago, early 80's job in mint condition, as it was free I wont cry if it dies

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I've got my Granny's old hand-cranked Singer somewhere, if you're interested I can dig it out and have a look at it, it was working about 20 years ago and was about 80 years old then so there's no reason it would have fallen to bits in the meantime.

PM me if interested and I'll begin the search.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a good machine - he thinks the foot pedal is missing but it's not, it's a knee operated model and if the bar to operate it is not present I have one! Somebody should have this one for sure - it also says he'll post if you
arrange a courier..................atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE