Looking for a poncho......recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Evening all,

i'm looking for a cheapish light weight poncho thats hard wearing that packs down small for when i go fishing, something thats big / roomy enough to go over the chair as well when i sit down.

looked at the 58 patern one and it looks ok for 12 quid, does anyone have any first hand recommendations ?

Last edited:

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Nothing wrong with 58 pattern at that price. The American ones are thinner and pack down smaller but are probably twice the price. Twelve quid is not bad at all.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Make sure the 58 one isn't delaminating. I have a soft spot for these ponchos, but lighweight they aint! THe US Army ones are excellent bits of gear, lighter than the 58 ones but still do the business. Many like the Dutch ones too. Endicotts tend to have a petty good range in normally.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
I have a couple of what were sold as British. One is very thick and tarpsuliny (it's a word! :) ) the other is thinner and hangs better.
The best I've tried is the Italian one, its durable, thin and packs down into a small enough ball that it'll fit in a coat pocket. Just a shame its camo rather than green (not hugely keen on wearing camo gear)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a Snugpak poncho on here for a good price, packs down well, keeps the rain nicely on soggy canoe trips.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Evening all,
i'm looking for a cheapish light weight poncho thats hard wearing that packs down small for when i go fishing, something thats big / roomy enough to go over the chair as well when i sit down.

looked at the 58 patern one and it looks ok for 12 quid, does anyone have any first hand recommendations ?

I spent the later part of the nineties wandering around Europe using a 58 pattern poncho as my rainwear and shelter, I still have it, some of the proofing has started to peel but it still does the job. However there do seem to be some newer knock offs going around which don't seem to be as well made, but at just over a tenner it'll be worth a punt I reckon.

They are quite heavy and they don't pack down that small though.

Poncho's are more popular in Germany, Austria etc. If you fancy navigating around some of the German online outdoor/hunting shops there are many to choose from.

Based on Shewie's recommendation I have just looked up the Snugpak Poncho, it looks pretty good. :)

:)

Last edited:

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
Just ordered a poncho from eBay "UAE special forces issue" it's listed as... It is in a desert marpat fabric which I know is not for everyone. I will put a small review up here when it arrives.

Anyone seen the hazard 4 poncho? It's a bit extreme but the kit whores are gonna love it.

matt.gp

Apr 24, 2013
North England
The photos from eBay don't say much but I have spoken to the seller and he seems a good fella!

eteqesez.jpg

tene9ynu.jpg

Incidentally I don't see any USMC logo's in the pattern...

yterusat.jpg

So defo not a marine pattern fabric ever issued in us forces. I don't even know if this camo was used by other militaries? Any camo geeks care to add to my ramblings lol?

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I'd say that was a commercial product. Imitation desert MARPT. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, I have a flecktarn poncho off eBay and its never let me down. You can always reproof them. I find the 58 just too heavy with no real benefits. Dutch dpm ones very good too.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got three ponchos and used them all at various times. I should downsize I suppose. Why do I need three?

My first was a German issue one that I got in the early 80's which was rather heavy but solidly made, the only problem I found was condensation build up on my chest when I had the waist cords tied snugly.
The second one was a olive green US army issue, I think. But that rustled like a pile of dried leaves in autumn, but it's lighter than the German issue one.
Lastly I traded a drawknife with Tengu a couple for years ago for a recent US issue poncho in cammo and that ticked all the boxes for me. Light, durable and not too noisy when walking while wearing it.

Later I bought a poncho liner from a seller here at BCUK and I was amazed at how warm it is when used as a blanket. Over this past winter I would wrap myself up in it in the front room of this sieve of a house I'm currently renting with draughts blowing through from every direction, it reflected my body heat back at me like a silver survival blanket and I was as snug as a proverbial bug. I've since modded the poncho liner with a zip so I can poke my head through it and wear it under the poncho should I choose to, though I haven't done so yet.

I know you've bought the poncho already Robbi, but that liner is a nice investment too and weighs almost nothing. I'm well pleased with mine.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
There are loads of used ponchos around, but unless you can see them before you buy them it's difficult to assess their waterproofing.

I have four or five, all were used when I bought them. A couple were very poor and eventually (I hope) the old waterproofing will have completely fallen off so I can re-proof them. For the moment I put up with the leaks and the bits of polyurethane that flake off everywhere.

None of mine are long enough to cover my legs well, so I get wet legs even if the rain doesn't get through elsewhere.

The lightweight ones aren't much good in thorns and brambles and they blow around something shocking in the wind, it's like wearing a thin skirt.

My favourites are the heavyweight ones but they're too hot for walking any distance.

All in all I'm not a great fan. They do have a place but that's not often where I am.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE