Looking for a pickup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
back to the op.
before i picked up the D-Max, i had a couple of issues i needed to sort out on my disco. in the garage was a Navarra, which had such severe chassis rot that the axles were pulling away from each other. the garage was astounded and were trying to refuse to allow the car to go home on the grounds of safety.
i've had the D-max for a month now and totally love it (although gutted that my company have just ordered 25 of them for as fleet vehicles for utility tree work. still, shows they liked them or got a good deal, lol).
Go for a ranger or rodeo and find the lowest mileage one you can for what you need to spend. ignore all the bells and whistles.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My 2005 2.5TD gets 24-25 mpg. They are not efficient at all!

Average here for a pickup is high 20s early 30s mpg

Dave

Yeah. Those numbers sound realistic for the larger British gallon and a smaller engine on a smaller pic-up (I assume y'all aren't talking about a full sized F-150 or equivalent?) That's about the mileage I used to get with my 1982 Toyota long bed with a 2 liter gasoline engine.

I was well pleased with that truck as a light 4WD pick-up and had no mechanical problems with it. I did some 4-wheeling with it in the southern Nevada desert and the Texas Hill Country before being sent to England. While stationed there, a friend in borrowed it for some 4-wheeling in Wales while I was out of country on leave and seemed happy with it. I never used it as a heavy duty hauler; nothing more than transporting a friend's motorcycle and a couple of GF's furniture.

Unfortunately another yank (and new in country) hit me head on as he was driving the wrong side of the road. I veered into the lefthand ditch to avoid him but he veered into it as well (his instincts had him veering to his right-my left) After that it never was the same again and I wound up selling it.

I haven't owned a Toyota since then though so I've no recent personal experience with Toyota; only know (through the news) that they've been subject to a number of recalls in recent years.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What are you planning on using it for? Heavy work? (heavy loads and/or heavy trailers) Or light personal use? (soft-roading/minor 4-wheeling, light loads, small trailer, etc.)

Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
My Nissan Terrano - 2.7 litre diesel - did 40mpg driving on roads. It had the right pump so I added 1/3 free cleaned used chip fat = 60mpg. I'd still have it but a farm fell on it during a storm.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My Nissan Terrano - 2.7 litre diesel - did 40mpg driving on roads. It had the right pump so I added 1/3 free cleaned used chip fat = 60mpg. I'd still have it but a farm fell on it during a storm.

What kind of load?

Getting 36.8 mpg from my rodeo at the mo so I'm pleased with that...

Tony, I'm guessing that's also a small diesel engine? And again, what kind of load are you hauling?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Small diesels in a pickup or 4WD are pretty common here, santaman. the Landy I owned was only 70hp but could pull tons, just gear down and keep it steady. Lowest gear was slower than walking pace at full revs.
It's just a different approach.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Small diesels in a pickup or 4WD are pretty common here, santaman. the Landy I owned was only 70hp but could pull tons, just gear down and keep it steady. Lowest gear was slower than walking pace at full revs.
It's just a different approach.

I agree and I wish they were more available here as well; particularly in light use farm and recreational use trucks.

That said, the mere abililty to "pull" a load isn't enough on it's own. The towing vehicle also needs to be heavy enough to stop said load at highway speeds. Especially in light of one of the more common uses for a truck over here; pulling a large fifth wheel RV (not necessarily a requirement there)

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
3.0lt engine about 400lb of stuff is all, wood, camping gear etc.

Thanks. That sounds like what I'd like to be able to do in a Jeep. They keep spreading rumors that they'll offer the diesel "next year" but never follow up.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I am looking to use it for a variety of things daily work commute camping,canoe,fishing transport I drive onto the beach low tide to fetch and carry from my boat engine,fuel,crab pot etc.
I have been told anything that smells of oil,petrol,fish,bait or seaside and wet gear like waders and sailing gear stays outside and the inside can be kept nice and clean for pleasant journeys.
i have always used my car for this except the beach driving and I must admit it has a distinct bouquet. I always have rope or mooring chain or some such gear being driven round so a pick up seems to tick the boxes.

I think the isuzu is the way to go the Navara seems designed to eat half shafts clutches and axles.

dave

fellows

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2015
Dorset
I have a rodeo, have had it for 2.5 years and have had no issues at all. Not even a set of tyres yet. If u look after them, they look after you. My friens has one of 8 years and has only paid for consumables. Steer clear of Nivaras and L200s they are money pits. Also my service mechanic loves my truck as there is mountains of space under the hood.

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE