Looking for a pickup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
I have read the isuzu rodeo thread which looks to be good any experience or thoughts on the Navara they seem to eat half shafts had a couple of hilux's but they went pop so avoiding toyota any other recommendations?

dave

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Before getting my Rodeo i talked a a few garages that I know and work on pickups a lot (I'm fairly rural here) they all said that the Isuzu was rock solid and rarely had problems, they said to stay away from the navaras (actually quite scathing of them when I said I was thinking about one of them), they seemed indifferent to the fords, but didn't really say anything bad about them, they generally didn't like the L200's, thinking them not as good as they're cracked up to be.

I'm happy with my Rodeo, drives well, looks fine (although you could get a post 06/07 probably if you shop about so different shape.

£7k will get you a nice second hand pickup.

I picked up a double cab and that's got good legroom, there's enough room behind my seat for an adult and it's right back.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I've had an 03 L200 double cab for nearly 4 years now, Have just spent £300 on new front wheel bearings, front discs and pads, and new rear brake shoes, + mot, and regular servicing, not bad for the time I've had it. Are you sure you need a 4x4?

bbdave

Forager
Feb 19, 2007
Teignmouth,Devon
Based on what I've read so far the Navara is a bag of nails the ford and L200 seem ok and the isuzu seems bomb proof but not many around on the market I guess that tells a story

dave

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If i can hang on till June hopefully about £7000. i need a good compromise between truck and car to keep both parties happy.

Dave

Best compromise is a full sized 4 door, 6 passenger pick-up.

Not with UK fuel prices it isn't!

The only other real "compromise" is some sort of sport utility. Most of them I know of don't really have that great a mileage either. A full sized 4 door pick-up (4 wheel drive) with a diesel engine gets about 18-20 mpg with US gallons (about 21 -24 MPG with a British gallon) Maybe 10% better with 2 wheel drive. Not great by any means but probably not much worse than a capable sport utility.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The only other real "compromise" is some sort of sport utility. Most of them I know of don't really have that great a mileage either. A full sized 4 door pick-up (4 wheel drive) with a diesel engine gets about 18-20 mpg with US gallons (about 21 -24 MPG with a British gallon) Maybe 10% better with 2 wheel drive. Not great by any means but probably not much worse than a capable sport utility.

That is truly dire mileage. I had a 20yr old long wheelbase landrover with permanent four wheel drive. On short runs it did 24mpg, on longer runs over 30mpg.
Any newish 4wd vehicle should be capable of over 40mpg. A newish pickup driven gently should get over 50mpg.

Petrol in the uk is currently over £5 (about $7.36) per uk gallon.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is truly dire mileage. I had a 20yr old long wheelbase landrover with permanent four wheel drive. On short runs it did 24mpg, on longer runs over 30mpg.
Any newish 4wd vehicle should be capable of over 40mpg. A newish pickup driven gently should get over 50mpg........

I wish that were true. But a true pick-up is rarely ever "driven gently." The newer ones here with "active fuel management" (a gasoline engine shutting down 4 of the 8 cylinders when at a no load highway speed) do indeed get up to 30 or 35 mpg. But the purpose of a pick-up isn't to drive without a load at highway speeds. Those same trucks with a 9000 pound trailer behind them on mud roads are only gonna get 15 to 20 mpg or less at best.A diesel will do better at maintaining mileage levels in spite of load conditions.

A mini truck (the size of a Nissan Navara there or Frontier here) will get better mileage but it won't really be able to perform a full days work like a full sized truck.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is truly dire mileage. I had a 20yr old long wheelbase landrover with permanent four wheel drive. On short runs it did 24mpg, on longer runs over 30mpg......

My conversion to allow for British gallons being larger is slightly flawed in my above posts but not much. I should have added 25% to the US mileage but only added 20%; in all honesty though that would only have added another mile or two to the result. I assume you mean per British gallon? If so converting backwards means you only got about 19 mpg with US gallons. That really ain't far from what I quoted for a 10 year old 3/4 ton diesel 4WD. Full size 4 door-6 passenger pickup (Ford F-250) with a towing capacity of around or a bit over 12,000 pounds.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If so converting backwards means you only got about 19 mpg with US gallons. That really ain't far from what I quoted for a 10 year old 3/4 ton diesel 4WD. Full size 4 door-6 passenger pickup (Ford F-250) with a towing capacity of around or a bit over 12,000 pounds.
A long wheelbase landrover is a bigger,heavier vehicle than that. Mine was a model from the 80s and being full-time 4WD not fuel efficient.

You yanks just put unnecessarily large engines in your vehicles :p

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A long wheelbase landrover is a bigger,heavier vehicle than that. Mine was a model from the 80s and being full-time 4WD not fuel efficient.

You yanks just put unnecessarily large engines in your vehicles :p

The weight I quoted (12,000) was for the towing capacity. The 3/4 ton is a reference to a weight rating system used here for trucks, not the actual vehicle weight (a land rover is only rated as a 1/4 ton vehicle) Also looks like I was under-rating those towing weights a bit (I was doing from memory) The current weights listed for said F-250 are as follows:
-vehicle cargo weight = 4280lbs (cargo only; not including actual vehicle weight)
-towing capacity = 16,800lbs

"unnecessarily large engines?" I suppose that depends. If you're just going to tool around town or haul light cargo loads then probably so. On the other hand if you're actually going to use it as a truck (towing a full size mobile home, a combination 4 horse trailer with cowboy quarters, a flatbed trailer with medium heavy equipment such as a smallish crawler tractor, etc.) not really. Smaller engines just don't give the oomph and tend to wear out much sooner. Toy trucks just don't cut it for real work. Y'all get around it by using larger trucks instead of pick-ups for the heavier hauling. To be perfectly honest our larger pick-ups are really those same larger trucks with a pick-up bed. An F-25 and larger can be (and often are) had with flatbeds or commercial bodies or specialized bodies for vehicle recovery.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE