Looking for a lightweight waterproof jacket.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Hi folks as the title says I'm looking for a lightweight waterproof jacket. Nothing to expensive. In an ideal world I'd get the keela munro jacket but there is only a month or so of winter left and I think the Keela munro is to warm for spring and summer. Camo jackets are definitely out.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Thanks guys, I was expecting more suggestions than this. I had a look at some reviews for the jackets on amazon, a lot of the reviews were surprising negative. So I think I'm going to hang tight and search around for a while.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My usual summer one is a Paramo.
Its an over the head but good water and windproofing and packs pretty small
for a real jacket.The one that's in my bag all the time is a Montane Featherlite
: very light but not that good on wind & water-proof.
Check out the Paramo range.
Cheers , Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks guys, I was expecting more suggestions than this. I had a look at some reviews for the jackets on amazon, a lot of the reviews were surprising negative. So I think I'm going to hang tight and search around for a while.

There was another thread last week I think on the same subject so perhaps this is why you've had so little response, have a look at that thread there may be something mentioned that suits your needs

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Mountain Hardwear do a light weight shell which hard to beat for the price. They pack away small, never leaked (with proofing and care) and have under arm vent zips. Mine has two map sized chest pockets which are mesh backed and can be opened for venting. Cotswolds usually has them in the sale at this time of year for less than £100, but they don't retail much above this unless you buy their more technical stuff.

Just checked currently £60 in their sale in plenty of sizes. Not the exact model I have but a good jacket for the price and much better than regatta's or craghoppers retailing new at that price!
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/mountain-hardwear-mens-epic-shell-jacket-11111191?id_colour=97

Also have to admit I am surprised it is only 10,000mm waterproof. Unless mine is more than this (an older version) then it has never leaked- even in heavy Scottish rain!

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
There was another thread last week I think on the same subject so perhaps this is why you've had so little response, have a look at that thread there may be something mentioned that suits your needs

I did see the thread that you were talking about before, I think the coats being talked about in the thread are too heavyweight for summer and too expensive.

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
So in the end I decided to go for a regatta packaway II jacket and pants and also a shedrain umbrella. I only just bought the regatta gear so haven't tested it yet but the umbrella I have tested and it's very good, it has a wide span and it folds down great. I don't see the regatta as a long term fix but who knows it might do all the things I need it to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE