Looking for a big, heavy seax blade blank.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi all
having overdosed on museums of a late I have taken a hankering after large/ long seax. Since it will have to come out if my pin money realistically I'm after a blade I can finish, handle and sheath myself. There's some finished absolute beauts out there but because of the amount of work that's gone into them naturally they all cost more than I can afford.

Anyroad, not one to be put off by reality, what I'm after is something I can use as a machete/farming implement but can be used with anglo-saxon / Anglo-Norse / late Roman era Germanic auxiliary costume. Say at least 20 inch blade, nice long heavy tang, quite a wide blade. I've never taken to the broken back shape so what I would be after is the more continental/Frankish shape, anything between a drop point and a spear point, single edge and maybe a fuller near the back.

So does anyone have such a thing laying about unloved? If folk could advise how much such a thing would be or what sort of trade would be involved that would be appreciated.

Call it my midlife crisis but I'd really like a short sword sized knife!

ATB

Tom

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i may be able to make something for you :) I've not made anything quite that long yet, so it will be an interesting challenge. It will depend on your budget though, a blade like that won't be a cheap thing to make

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I got a look at a seax knife that you made when I was at the moot Dave . May I say it was stunning and the sheath had loads of brass or copper fittings.
The guy who brought it was having fun with it carving spoons . :thumbup:

Paddytray .;

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Oh no! My Y chromosome is Saxon. This thread is no use for someone who thinks 3 knives is too many.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
As the owner of a more modest Dave Budd Seax I can only say that Dave is the way to go here.
I use it as much as I use my Green Man pro.
Fantastic blade that has more than stood the test of time ( and use!)

Good luck.

c.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi Dave
I really wish I could afford one of your knives as they are great and come highly recommended and are worth every penny but unfortunately Herself would then use it on me and sell whats left of me for spares!

Looking around the net it would seam I am deluding myself thinking I could get something made as a one off by someone who really knows what they are doing on the shoestring budget I have.

Thanks for the input folks.

ATb

Tom

Nanashi

Sep 22, 2013
Finland
Hi,

there is a Finnish web shop that has reasonably priced seax style blanks, not quite short sword sized but thought you might be interested...
http://www.varusteleka.com/pictures/25549.jpg
Blade is around 9,5 inches long and the total length is almost 17 inches.
The linked image is from their site so you can find it from there (the language can be changed to English).

They designed the blade themselves and originally sold it with a rubber handle and now they also offer this DIY version.
I have the ready-made version and it is a great chopper and decent for wood carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE