Looking for a backpack -

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Folks,

I'm currently looking for a new backpack for hill walking welcome advice/opinions.
What I'm after is something in the 25-30 litre size range, lighter than my bomb-proof Karrimor Sabre 30 that I use for bushcraft, and preferably not mega-expensive (say, up to £50 tops) as it will most likely only see 10-20 days use per year.
Any suggestions?

Dave

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Not wishing to be repetitive but hows about a highlander forces 25 or 33? They certainly fit into the non-mega-expensive range. Not sure how they fare in weight against the sabre 30 but mine is fine.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Get yourself one of the old leather and canvas swedish army packs. Mine cost 12 quid delivered to my door and has become a firm favourite. I can't remember the last time I used my LK 35.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That's similar to the one I have, I've got the M1939 version which has a metal frame and leather straps all over. That is the salt and pepper canvas version; yes I've become a geek on them since trawling the internet looking for the M1935! Still can't find it! :rolleyes:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I thought he was looking to go lighter? :theyareon

:p

I can weigh mine if you like, but it isn't heavy, has the old time look and is a classic in its' own right. Plus, they are so cheap that if you wreck it (dunno how, but there you go!) you can replace it for next to nowt.

1.5 kg, or 3 pounds-ish!

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Folks,

I'm currently looking for a new backpack for hill walking welcome advice/opinions.
What I'm after is something in the 25-30 litre size range, lighter than my bomb-proof Karrimor Sabre 30 that I use for bushcraft, and preferably not mega-expensive (say, up to £50 tops) as it will most likely only see 10-20 days use per year.
Any suggestions?

Dave

I you aren't going to be carrying anything heavy then how about an Alpkit Gourdon.

Very simple no frills lightweight pack. Comes in both 25L (£17.50 inc VAT) and 35L (£20 inc VAT). Its basically a roll top dry bag with a very simple back system attached to it (also has a transparent window so you can see what is in the pack and a hydration bladder pouch).

I've been hankering after one of these for a while. However the jungle drums indicate that they are going to produce them in olive green/sand in the near future as they've had so many requests from the forces.

Although at only £20 I could be tempted earlier!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
HPIM3180.jpg

Are you telling me you don't want something as stylish and retro as this? It could make an erupting volcano look sub zero cool!

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
HPIM3180.jpg

Are you telling me you don't want something as stylish and retro as this? It could make an erupting volcano look sub zero cool!

Thats exactly the reason why i have just "traded " for one of these.
Thanks again Matt :p
I saw them on the web and remembered seeing them in my "youth" on the hills and thought I just have to have one of them. i must be getting old as in my "youth" i would not have been seen dead with one and have had a couple of alpkits gourdons.

Greg

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
There is actually some outfit somewhere making replicas of these.

http://www.acquiremag.com/style/bags-accessories/psycho-bunny-wwii-swedish-army.php

And look at the price :eek: All for a psycho bunny badge.

But unfortunately not doing the M35 version.
Closest I've found is a modern kakadu traders rucksack in canvas, brass and rawhide.

I don't even think they've made them, it looks to me like they've just bunged a badge on a surplus bag and hoiked the price up! I see the originals going for stupid money on eBay. Folk need to learn to shop about a bit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE