Looking a piece of riven ash

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The middle son has recieved the replica viking bearded axe head that he had made and I now need to aquire a suitable piece of ash to make a straight handle for it.

It's a live blade and will be used for bushcraft as well as for display with his Dark Ages kit (He's insisted I leave the forge marks on, which I find painful, but its his and I'm in a minority of one on the issue). The eye is quiet long and narrow, about a inch by 2.25 and we'd like it to be about 30 inches long when finished, although I appreciate it may end up as little as 24 if their are balance issues.

More than willing to buy or trade and happy to cut my own if someone knows where they are cutting/trimming ash in the Rossendale Valley.

Cheers!

Tom

Heres a pic

axehead.jpg

5 inch cutting edge, 1 lb 12.5 oz

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you were a little closer nay bother. I fear postage and packing would not make it worth your while. I would not recommend an evening strole and a pruning saw, shame on you. :rolleyes:

Bark stripped roughed out and in a warm room it would be ready in a couple weeks max.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hey tb - If you can make it to Lincolnshire, come to my place and pick a tree - I'll lend you a crosscut saw and a froe

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks. It looks like I will have to wait until the end of August and were at the In laws cottage on the side of Sugar Loaf Mt. The farmer lets them gather wood and thin out saplings so I can go walkies with a saw legitimately!

Oops while I was labourously pecking that out on the wifes ipad with sausage like fingers there were two more post!

Cheers Red. Unfortunately the nearest i'll be getting to you is Retford in a couple of weeks, but thanks for the offer, you're a Gent.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Cheers folks. It looks like I will have to wait until the end of August and were at the In laws cottage on the side of Sugar Loaf Mt. The farmer lets them gather wood and thin out saplings so I can go walkies with a saw legitimately!

Oops while I was labourously pecking that out on the wifes ipad with sausage like fingers there were two more post!

Cheers Red. Unfortunately the nearest i'll be getting to you is Retford in a couple of weeks, but thanks for the offer, you're a Gent.

ATB

Tom

Nice project, good looking head. If you're traveling to Retford from Lancashire you may be passing close to me (s33 7za). I have green or part dried cleft sections you would be welcome to either for free.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the offer Dave but I don't think I'll be getting to to any of the get togethers.

Robin, S33 is Edale right? at some point soon I'll be taking the lads to see where I did a winter walling on the Snake and to my home town, Chesterfield so I will certainly take you up on your kind offer. If I may I will pm you closer to the date to see when it will be convenient for you.

Thanks all for your input!

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
OK it wasnt riven but the grain was excellent so when someone offerd me a old ash pick axe handle we grabbed it and I cut it down to size and used the section we shortend it by to make a wedge and generally thinned it off some.

TedsAxe.jpg

Its rather long at 33 inches and fatter than I would have had it it but he was the boss on this one. I've soaked the head in linseed oil etc for a day so the heads on good and tight and shouldnt shrink much.

Cheers!

Tom

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
i have got a big ish ash log drying down the wood been cut since nov last year, thinking about bringing it up to the house soon as got a few handles to make.should be plenty if you require a length. also theres loads of ash about. you said about retford, i live just outside at east markham.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks fo the offer but we have been and gone to Retford and don't know when we will next be visiting.

On the way home we swung passed the Abbeydale industrial hamlet in Sheffield which as well as being a great free place to visit had in the shop a load of Trevor Ablett penknives and herself insisted on getting me on so that's that box ticked! To pass the time on the drive home I googled how much it was on websites and unless I am very much mistaken we got it for 10 quid less than current RRP, which is nice....

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE