Look what my cat found..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
Saw my cat poking something amongst some plant pots earlier, thought she'd found a mouse until I saw this little fella hop out :)

sezehevu.jpg

7ajeze2a.jpg

Lovely little thing, sat on my hand/arm for a few mins, had it's pic taken then I offered it a bit of water and popped it into next doors garden (completely over grown with weeds so plenty of cover) where it happily hopped off away from beanie :)

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My cat used to steal frog spawn from next door's pond and deposit it on the kitchen floor. I filled a butler sink in the garden with water and before long there were tadpoles and then froglets everywhere. That just reminded me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been redding out the meadowsweet around the small front ponds....and disturbed a huge great frog :D
Something happy about knowing there are frogs and toads in the garden :D
I have nothing near as good photos as your's though.

cheers,
M

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
I'd love to have a pond with frogs and toads in :) My grandma and grandad had a big frog in their pond for quite a while, it used to sit in an old "shoe" ornament :)

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
omg that is quite possibly the cutest little thing ever! :)

reminds me of one I found at Canon Hall once, sat having a picnic with my mum and best mate and a teeny tiny little frog hopped onto our blanket.. it was the size of my thumb nail :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
image.jpg

I think there one of the canniest little creatures ever, just make me smile for no apparent reason. The little fella in the photo was wandering around the kitchen last summer :).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a brilliant excuse not to cut the grass when they're that size though :D

Same with the newtlings just out of the pond....this one is on a slate coffee mug coaster that's under 10cms across.
Himself took it a fortnight ago just outside the back door :D
14401191718_3d1817f466_z.jpg

14401214919_43ef8bc9cc_z.jpg

14401194408_ef8abe7394_z.jpg

14401147860_51c3eb966b_z.jpg

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of my neighbours keeps a rather posh looking pond in his garden (mine is allowed to be pretty wild :D) and it's not that unusual to see him with a bucket of water and newts heading down to the burn :rolleyes: The newts apparantly like the rather expensive posh food he feeds his posh fish :D :D

We just find we have to be careful lifting pots in the garden. I just wish they'd take a notion to slugs and snails.

atb,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aww a cute wee puddock, very cute. The roads ad fields 'round here seem to move with them after a rainy spell and can make driving pretty slow as you try to avoid the masses. Quite a history in folklore and some good poetry too.

The Puddock
[h=2]Poem[/h]A puddock sat by the lochan's brim,
An' he thocht there was never a puddock like him.
He sat on his hurdies, he waggled his legs,
An' cockit his heid as he glowered throu' the seggs.
The bigsy wee cratur' was feelin' that prood,
He gapit his mou' an' he croakit oot lood:
"Gin ye'd a' like tae see a richt puddock," quo' he,
"Ye'll never, I'll sweer, get a better nor me.
I've fem'lies an' wives an' a weel-plenished hame,
Wi' drink for my thrapple an' meat for my wame.
The lasses aye thocht me a fine strappin' chiel,
An' I ken I'm a rale bonny singer as weel.
I'm nae gaun tae blaw, but th' truth I maun tell-
I believe I'm the verra MacPuddock himsel'." ...

A heron was hungry an' needin' tae sup,
Sae he nabbit th' puddock and gollup't him up;
Syne runkled his feathers: "A peer thing," quo' he,
"But - puddocks is nae fat they eesed tae be."
John M. Caie

Cheers for posting Squishy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We do not get frogs or newts in our garden - but we have a couple of toads... one lives in the woodshed and another in our compost bins
004.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My Granny had a Toad's nest under the rhubarb. It was a half buried clay plant pot in a damp shady bit. Granny reckoned that for the leaving it in peace the toad did a grand job on the slugs :D

I spotted the puddock and got HWMBLT to come and take a couple of photos; I thought the one showing the world through a puddock's eyes was really good, and should go into this month's photo competition....the close-up theme one, but himself's not sure it's good enough :rolleyes:
See men ? sometimes they take this whole perfection thing too far :)

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Are there Natterjacks on Methyr Mawr dunes?I love natterjacks...Anyone who thinks toads are ugly should admire a natterjack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE