long nets

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Anyone ever use these? I use them a lot, and guess what? you don't have to feed them, house them, clean them out or check them for ticks or fleas! Still got my five ferrets though, but circumstances have changed and I'm now without transport, except my old bike, so it's local area's only now! I've sold all my purse nets, over 250 and all hand made by myself, my long netting basket, and my ferret locator now resides in Northern Ireland, courtesy of Ebay, and I just use the long nets and the snares! I walk or cycle everywhere now, and have lost two and a half stones since the car was sold last Christmas.I missed it at first obviously, well you would after always having one for the last thirty years, but now I don't have to worry about tax, insurance, m.o.t. fuel, maintenance, tyres etc! I use the traditional long netting methods and can get 150 yards of nets and pins in a bag slung over my shoulder whilst the fibreglass poles fit in a long quiver that also goes over my shoulder.I now long net on my own after being let down by 'a mate' who regularly came with me in my car until I sold it, he has his own car, but doesn't like to get it 'dirty'! Working alone is quite therapeutic in it's own way, and of course it makes you much more self reliant! I use between 50 and a 150 yards of net depending on what area I'm doing. The catch rate can be variable obviously, I once caught 17 rabbits in a 50 yard stretch, and the following night 3 rabbits in a 120 yard stretch. I hear a lot of tales about people who sell their rabbits to the butcher and make a good living from it, most of it is complete bull****! Even professionals would be hard pressed to do this, people who do it for a hobby have no chance. Years ago I ferreted an equine property on the outskirts of Birmingham at a place called Hollywood, near Wythall, just off junc 3 of the M42 in case anyone wants to look it up ;) It was the first time the owner had ever had it ferreted in over twenty years of owning it. I took 52 rabbits in one mornings work, and it was a mission to carry them back to my car five fields away. I had many more over the next few years before moving away, but the point I'm trying to make is that to take that amount on a regular basis at £1.00 a rabbit you would need to have many acres of prime ground and a lot of butchers willing to take all your catch! Game dealers want rabbits for next to nothing, one in Sussex offered me 40p a carcase if it was cleaned and on a polystyrene tray and cling wrapped ready to be sold on, :lmao:
He should have been a comedian rather than a game dealer! Sorry to go on a bit, but it will give you an idea or two being the inventive and resourceful lot you seem to be, it might just prompt someone to give it a go, and it's useful to have another weapon in your armoury! ;)

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Ah, longnetting and mates.

A friend of mine once took a 'mate' out with him, set up the net, then his mate promptly found a herd of cows and drove them straight through the net.

Jay-Jay

May 11, 2006
Thetford
Ah yes, something i have been thinking about for a while but have no experience of at all. Is it practical for a begginer on his own? As i have a lovely place to shoot but could do with a bit more culling than my hunting skills allow. :AR15firin

jack sparrow

Feb 23, 2007
Warwickshire
God snerper are you stalking me :D

Jay-Jay you can now get a longnet system called a quickset, search on google for it, this can easily be used by one person, and is a lot easier to use for a first timer than the traditional method, as its already set up and is stored in a basket that hangs around your neck, with all the poles at the correct distance and height, they even have the correct amount of bag to them.

YIS
JS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE