Long Distance Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Bert333, I wouldn't use your pack.You seem to be stuck on the ground,is it that heavy?LOL

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Swede,Where do you put you pack when you take it off?I find that after walking for a day that I need to take it off and put it down to get out the things I need,The ground seems to be the most handy thing to use as there is always some nearby.
I take your point about waterproofness but feel that a harder wearing pack will take more abrasion than a lightweight one.Less abrasion wear means it will last longer and be more waterproof than one that wears through easily.

I put it down gently on the ground. I don't dump it, which to me sound like a harsh treatment. A harder wearing pack is a bit of a misnomer, how do you measure durability? How often do you use your bigger packs? How long do they last? One of my most used packs is a framepack I got from my father, wich he bought in the seventies, I have changed some straps on it, but it's still in good knick. It is made of a fabric which has the same denier as my lightweight pack. IMHO it is straps and buckles that fails first, long before the fabric is worn out.

And still, my packs gets used every other weekend or so, let's say 50 days per year, and looking at my old framepack I would say that it would take me a lifetime or so to wear out my light weight pack. If I treat it correctly, and do regular maintenance and exchange buckles, bungies, buckels and such.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I used that one in pic below when I walked the Santiago de Compostela trail

Now that is a long distance walk :D

This is me, wearing my Crux, having completed the 1700 KM of the Santiago de Compostela trail...

fistera.jpg

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
My kit is purchased with the main requirement being that I don't have to worry about where or how I put it ,wether it rains or not or will it be okay if I do this.I go out to enjoy myself not worry about my kit so all of it is hardwearing,but also as light as I feel comfortable with.As for measuring durability if it doesn't wear out then it's durable.Your pack is obviously durable whereas the straps and buckles are not,Perhaps they had been subjected to harsh treatment.Although I don't know how harsh you'd have to be to wear out a strap or break a buckle as I've never done either.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Bert333, I wouldn't use your pack.You seem to be stuck on the ground,is it that heavy?LOL

Yep- very funny Sapper :lmao: I was plumb knackered- I had to stop of a day due to an inflamed ankle and my water ran out - I was sure glad to find this and my pack helped me on the way down!!
But here is the secret of this fab bag IMHO air channels and it adjusts to the size of your spine
DSCN1917.jpg

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Even Sandbenders pack is too heavy,he's got to hang on to that fence to keep upright.LOL
I like the back system on your pack Bert333,I think a well fitting pack is the most impotant bit of kit you can buy.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You are making me so envious and giving me itchy feet.

Your pack is still heavy though ,you look knackered,but happy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE