Long Bushcraft walk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Over the years I have walked across Scotland, from west to east, east to west, several times, including winter. Usually I have stayed in bothies or camped. Strikes me that in might be interesting to do it again and practice Bushcraft skills along the way. Can take anything from a few days to a few weeks, all depends on the time available. Has anyone else done this? :rolleyes:

Dan

Oct 12, 2004
Canterbury
My mate and I were wild camping through Scotland on our way to John O'Groats from Land's End. From Milngavie we followed the West Highland Way, from Fort Bill went along the Great Glen way to Inverness and from there we stayed on the East coast.
Although, because we had a limited timescale we didn't have much of a chance to practice too much bushcraft.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
just wondering how long does it take to walk from lands end to john o groats ?
leon

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
It's nearer a couple of months (or more) unless you really push it. Just the coast to coast is normally 12 days.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
leon-b said:
just wondering how long does it take to walk from lands end to john o groats ?
leon

It's just short of 900 miles by road. So depending on how scenic your route was it could be as much as 1200 miles. I'd calculate an average of 100 miles a week so about 3 months should do it.

I started planning a route some years ago but decided to walk across the Alps instead. I'd still do it if i had the time though.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was 14yrs old I walked (and wild camped) from Malaig on the west coast to Calender along the West Highland Way with my Father. It was the most memorable time that I spent with him. I have wanted to go back and do it again since my Father passed away but haven't had the chance, to do it it bushcraft style would be absolutely brilliant!

Note to one's self - START BL***Y PLANNING!!!

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Greg said:
When I was 14yrs old I walked (and wild camped) from Malaig on the west coast to Calender along the West Highland Way with my Father. It was the most memorable time that I spent with him. I have wanted to go back and do it again since my Father passed away but haven't had the chance, to do it it bushcraft style would be absolutely brilliant!

Note to one's self - START BL***Y PLANNING!!!
I think everyone should do something like that. I did with my father and have walked in Nepal with one of my sons and in the Azores with the other. It's not the place that matters but the opportunity to share such a rich experience. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
fred gordon said:
I think everyone should do something like that. I did with my father and have walked in Nepal with one of my sons and in the Azores with the other. It's not the place that matters but the opportunity to share such a rich experience. :)

I completely agree with you Fred, its all in the memories!:)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The reason I wanted to learn 'bushcraft' was so that I could go on longish trips and use the skills to help me along the way.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE