Long Bow Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Recently been having a couple of goes with longbows at events I've been attending, people have been asking me if I shoot and I've been getting very favourable feedback so I'm encouraged to give it a go. Having made my own bows as a kid and messed about in the back garden with a composite bow I've have had a bit of practice but I'd like to do the job properly. I think the bows I tried were a 40lb draw strength which felt pretty easy to me - what advice do people have about budget (how much should I save up to get all the gear). How long will a wood bow last me? What draw strength should I get etc.

Any good Archery shops near York?

Thanks

Mike

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
I recently took up longbow shooting again after a break of ten years and I'd really recommend it. Buying a longbow is not the cheapest option however you can get them made just for you and this is the best way to go. I can give you a couple of pointers on places where to get them if you want to drop me a PM. A well-made bow should last you years, I hadn't used mine in 10 years but it shoots as if new (remember as well that longbows recovered from the Mary Rose were still able to be test fired in a lab!), draw weight etc will depend on factors such as your height and draw length so you'll need to know that before ordering a bow.

You can also buy ready made arrows but I've always found it cheaper and more satisfying to make your own. You can alos personalise them much more easily.

Hi Mike
I think draw weight should depend on your size and strength, and what feels natural to you. Most LBs I have used have been around 40 - 50 lb (at 28"), which suits me.
If well made and not abused it should last you a lifetime. Don't know the York area for shops, but you could price things online. Bickerstaffes would be a good starting point.

http://www.bickerstaffebows.co.uk/

word of advice... I also started on LB but after a couple of years went over to American Flatbows (what Americans call a longbow), which I'm know much happier with. Perhaps try to have a go with an AFB before parting with your ££? EFAA or NFAS clubs should be happy to help...

http://www.nfas.net/clubs.asp

http://www.efaafieldarcher.com/club-directory/clubs-with-14-target-courses.html

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I only shoot for recreation now, using the same bows that I had more than 15 years ago - longevity should not be an issue.

Ask around your club to have a shoot with other bows if you feel 40lb is too light - to see what weight you can manage now or how much training and effort you'd have to put into building up to a heavier target bow - about 55 to 70lb would be nearer the mark I reckon. Then you have a few choices as to how to proceed
1, buy a second hand bow - but make sure the previous owner was of similar draw length to yourself - the easiest way to break a bow is to over-draw a short one bought for a bargain price because it was too small/light for you.
2, Get a bow made for you.
3, Buy a part finished stave and finish it off how you want it.
4, Make one from scratch
5, Borrow a bow from a good friend

As Paul mentioned, it's not going to be a cheap venture but it can be a whole bunch of fun!

ATB

Ogri the trog

PS, Lucky enough to own three bows made or tillered by Ron Bickerstaffe, Pip's father!

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
So long as you don't start using that old York law about shooting Scotsmen.....

Best bet is to contact the BLBS and find a local club. (Although I checked their site & the links aren't great).

BLBS: http://www.askarts.co.uk/
The only Yorkshire club I found : http://www.scortonarrow.com/

The club members will know the good bowyers (both pros & amateurs) - join, use a few different bows & learn what draw weight/length etc suits you (as you shoot more you'll build up your string callouses & shoulder muscles which will adjust your bow requirements - although more bows the merrier tends to be the attitude).

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So long as you don't start using that old York law about shooting Scotsmen.....

Best bet is to contact the BLBS and find a local club. (Although I checked their site & the links aren't great).

BLBS: http://www.askarts.co.uk/
The only Yorkshire club I found : http://www.scortonarrow.com/

The club members will know the good bowyers (both pros & amateurs) - join, use a few different bows & learn what draw weight/length etc suits you (as you shoot more you'll build up your string callouses & shoulder muscles which will adjust your bow requirements - although more bows the merrier tends to be the attitude).

So if I join and turn up without a bow/equipment they'll have stuff on hand I can borrow? Didn't want to turn up like a complete numpty. Guess I should just give 'em a call :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I think its quite normal for archery clubs to have a waiting time before letting you loose on the field. They'll run regular beginners events or welcome days to teach the etiquette and safety procedures of the shooting line.

Frankly, Mike, I wouldn't spend any cash before you turn up as there may well be kit available through the club or discount available at certain suppliers.

As you said, give them a call.

Ogri the trog

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
From my experience (Green Hollow Bowmen, Glasgow) Ogri's right. They'll do a beginner's course to make sure you're safe (on the one I was on a woman was eventually turned away - for some reason she just couldn't couldn't pick it up enough to be safe). There was club kit to use & we used some of it (bows/arrows) for a long time before buying our own. Bracers, tabs & quivers once I'd tried a few I decided on what I wanted to use & bought my own fairly early.

I started on a club 40lb bow, moved onto a club 55lb one, then bought a 40lb carriage bow for target, then a 60lb bow for clout. Starting out you don't know how you'll develop so buying bows early isn't the best idea, as I gained in strength & learned to use my shoulders better I could not only handle the heavier bow, but I found I developed a slightly longer draw length - which made a difference to the arrows I bought as well .

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
If you go down the route of buying a professionally made longbow then as the others have said first try a club bow to find out your comfortable draw weight. For an average man a longbow of 40-50lbs should produce good repeatable form for several hours at a time. You use a completely new set of muscles loosing a bow than any other sport and if you go too heavy too soon you can do damage that may stay with you forever.

After a while your muscle and tendon strength will increase and you will find the bow you started with will become easy and a joy to shoot all day. There is nowt wrong with sticking to this bow but you may want to increase the weight or try a new discipline and this is where it can become expensive.

As I make my own bows I went up in weight from 50lbs in roughly 10lb increments to 80lbs over roughly a year whereby I hurt my shoulder as it was too soon for me and have gone back down to around 50lbs.

A Bickerstaffe bow is a good choice and cared for will last years. It's just a shame they cost so much. Building your own can reduce this cost a lot. A basic Lemonwood and Hickory Bickerstaffe bow is £295. For this money I could make at least 10 identical longbows and a couple dozen arrows but my labour is free which helps!

Good luck on your archery quest,

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE