London riots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks like the public have had enough - the largest e-petition to date (already over 100,000 signatures) suggests that:

Any persons convicted of criminal acts during the current London riots should have all financial benefits removed. No tax payer should have to contribute to those who have destroyed property, stolen from their community and shown a disregard for the country that provides for them.

...seems like this is the first to pass the hurdle for the requisite number of signatures

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/7337

Red

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone watching Fat Prescott ******* liar on Question Time? Sorry but I've been watching it on mute with the Clash on youtube playing. Only way I can bear the guy is by not hearing him. I used to respect the guy for how far he got in life and where he started, but ever since he did that TV programme about "class war" where I saw him interviewing some working class couple. They were the sort who make me feel proud of being British as they did all they could to get work, any work going no matter how short term to get on in life. They are at the breadline but are working their way out and into a better life as far as they can go. Everytime they said things that didn't meet his class war viewpoint they dubbed over the top afterwards comments by Prescott about how the class system is keeping them on their knees. That was straight after they said that class had no affect on them they just got on with their life. Then Prescott over dub says something about see how they are downtrodden working class!! That interview on that programme was revisionism about 5 seconds after the event.

Sorry I digress but anyone who is so entrenched in one view to the contradiction of the evidence they themselves came up with are not worth listening to IMHO.

BTW I really don't know why I keep watching QT as it is no longer any good. They never have the quality of yesteryear when you had the likes of Benn and Heseltine and other big political animals who have presence in a way the nondescripts on modern day's QT don't. Plus after the riots it was always going to be about that and only that. I mean there is about to be a crash in the European economy to which our economy is heavily exposed, a potential double dip and starving people around the world and we are so bothered about a bunch of scrag ends of humanity burning up their communities and looting shops for "fun" and nothing else outside of our little world!! We are on the edge of economic crash and burn again and London is leading the way in reality by torching itself. Slash and burn!!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like that guy who's convenience store got totally looted and trashed. He has been getting cards and letters with money in to help him start up again. IIRC he was the guy who got snapped looking through the broken glass of his door. He came across as a really nice guy who was part of a community that wasn't appreciated until this came along and then people kept coming in to offer support and to help clean up and get him open again whether help tidying it up or with money. He said he didn't recognise the people who came out to help him but he did well up in the interview.

What that made me think was we don't realise what we do have in our own communities until it is gone. That is why I always use the little shops in my home town (a very small town but it has a good set of shops even if there are not many). If any of them got trashed and failed to open I would miss them. Well not all of them but I do use a fair few of them. They often are run by characters but you just don't get to know them in modern life. You go in get your stuff, pay up then go. Noone really stops to talk to shop staff in these smaller local shops these days. Well little village shops perhaps but not towns or suburb shops.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've no local shops so to speak. One little corner shop the the chap is nice but the range is limited and grocery prices are extremely high. He gets by selling cheap beer, cider and rolling papers.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
I see the main parties have resumed hostilities. So much for a united front against thuggery. Milliband is calling for a public inquiry, Cameron is going to get tough on the broken parts of Britain and has engaged a tough American Supercop, and Clegg is on holiday in Pontins or somewhere. When are they going to get that we don't give a flying something for their ludicrous party political point scoring, but do want them to give powers to those that need them?

My guess is that if there is an inquiry, David Starkey won't be asked to chair it:) Mores the pity.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'm hovering over the 'thread locked' button here
Some posts are getting very close to political rants
As you know politics are not allowed on this bushcraft forum as it is one of the easiest ways to cause arguments and ill feeling.
The riots are important events though and that's the only reason why this thread hasn't been closed by now.
Please show us that the decision to keep this thread open was the correct one.

Thanks for your consideration

Mark

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thanks for keeping it open, I enjoyed the catch up on the Barber what a character and the stories of folk pulling together as communities. A friend sent me this speech yesterday written in 1972 I hope it doesn't come across as too political/religious, seems like a lot of good sense to me.

"Profit is the sole criterion used by the establishment to evaluate economic activity.....I must ask the politicians who favour these proposals – where and how in your calculations did you quantify the value of a community? Of community life? Of a sense of belonging? Of the feeling of identification? "
http://www.senscot.net/view_art.php?viewid=9900

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE