Log burner advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
I am about to move house to a lovely rural home the only issue is it's oil fired central heating.
I want to install a log burner when we move it so I get to heat my home cheaply and with FIRE using my AXE to split the logs.
I guess the best type world be a log burner that also heats the water in the radiators too.
I basically need any advice on company's makes and your opinions.
I was kinda forced to sell my boat due to the move and am going to use the money to buy my 30th birthday present a log burner. So I don't want a cheep useless burner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There is no problem running radiators from a log burner with a back boiler.

Quality makes include

Esse, Morso, Clearview, Charnwood, Villager and Jotul.

I like Esse the best

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've had a few wood burners and every cast iron one has failed in some way or other. I've been using a Hunter 8 stove (mild steel) for the past ten years and the only parts that get replaced are the bricks and fire bars. I won't have another cast iron stove. Makes that have let me down include Aga, Rayburn, Jotul, Esse and Coalbrookdale.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I can recommend the Clearview stoves. I have a pioneer 400 and it's fantastic.
All woodburners are only as good as the fuel though so dry seasoned logs a must. I find I'm always thinking about next years wood, getting it cut split and stored to ensure a regular supply. And when you think you have enough wood, double it you will be surprised at how much you use!
good luck.
David.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I have a morso, can't fault it. Only one I've ever used, owned. There's nothing like coming home to a 'real' fire. As said, season your wood properly, store it properly, and you won't go wrong. It really is a joy, not a chore to own and use one at home. Best of luck.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I heat my house & boiler with a fairly big Aarrow wood burner. It's coming up on 30 years old and, touch wood, has been no problem at all. I seen a few newer installations in friend's houses and it seems wood burners are getting smaller and more efficient all the time.

Dave

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thankyou for all the help I am really excited about the prospect of this happening. I am going to try and get a boiler/ wood burner and heat the house along side the oil fired boiler to save money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
have you considered getting a ''multi-fuel'' stove instead of a ''woodburner'' stove, a multi-fuel gives you the option of using a varietly of fuels whereas the woodburner does not, there is a big difference between the two types, i have a multi-fuel stove myself.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I think we have the system you're after. The aarrow stove is a multi fuel, which also heats the water for the central heating & hot water. There is some electronics (installed about 2 years ago now) which in simple terms, when you wind up the thermostat checks to see if the stove is hot, if it isn't it fires up the regular oil burning boiler. I don't recall the details of it, but can find out for you if you like. It was installed by a local company near Cambridge.

Dave

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I have an aga, it is quite old, multi fuel, does 9 radiators [one of which has to be permenatly on with no off controls whatsoever to act as a heat escape or the system may get too hot - apparently] the radiators which are the other side of the house take sometime to warm up mind. Does domestic hot water via 90l tank. - It is meant to do up to 11 radiators but I think that's being a little too optimistic of the manufactures...

I like the look of the esse ones because you have a glass door to the fire box, the aga has a solid door so when I sit [a rare occurance] in the kitchen I can't see the lovely flames...

My wife was looking on the internet and there are some very interesting looking solid fuel stove/ cookers/ domestic water heaters around. The only down side for me is I HAVE to have my aga on as it is the only source of heating and cooking for the house so it can get a bit hot in the summer - but then that's what doors and windows are for :)

Are you looking for this to be just for heating on it's own, heating radiators, heating radiators & domestic hot water [for washing/ baths etc]? Is this to be the only source of heating for the house or as a supplement?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I certainly agree to go "multi fuel" rather than woodburner. Multifuel is MUCH easier to keep the house warm with overnight or when working on the land. I can keep ours going for 8 hours or so on wood - but its a struggle. I can easily go 18 hours with smokeless

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Certainly keep the multifuel option if you can including oil. We tend to use smokeless fuel in the tent woodburner, saves on wood and stays 'in' overnight and it will do the same at home. A bag of smokeless at camp will run for a full winter weekend.

Burn wood by all means but if its a first for you (at home) you'll be surprised how much you can go through. A scoop or two of smokeless at night and damp it down then in the morning life is simpler.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
we're just having a Charnwood C4 multifuel installed now, but the Charnwood range also include a back boiler option. We didn't go that route due to cost of plumbing into the existing system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE