Loft insulation

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Hi
Just insulated my loft with recycled plastic bottles insulation
Its non itch like glass fiber and rockwool and and the insulating properties are more than rockwool and fiber glass
Rockwool is R3. ? and plastic bottles are R5
Went to a local supermarket and found a Bed Duvet made from green recycled plastic bottles
looks as if the insulation could be used for under hammock insulation for you do it yourself kit makers
Any one seen or tried it
Mick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think a lot of fleece material and insulating fibres are made from recycled plastics now, fleece for sure as I watched one of those How it's Made programmes about it once.

I'd never seen the ratings before though.

What was the roof insulation like ? Did it look like doss bag filling ?

Doing the loft is on my to do list this summer so I'll have a look at that stuff

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Loft insulation looked like fiber glass style,I was coverd with throw away boiler suit and mask and gloves as the old insulation i removed was fiber glass but did not get any itching
It took some tearing to part it to fit under center bar
It is more expensive than fiber glass
Look for deals when B+Q sell it half price
Mick

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
All Local councils give grants for loft insulation, IIRC it covers most or all of the material costs. They are obliged to do it to meet CO2 targets in their region and much of the funding comes from the Power companies who sometimes run their own subsidy schemes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE