Lofoten Islands in winter.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I fancy a trip to Lofoten next winter, I'd like to plan a trip that allows people to partake in various activities during the day (e.g. skiing, mountaineering, chilling out etc) but where we can share a camping location at night. Has anybody here been there in the winter? If so, what's it like regarding shops, transport, weather etc?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Speak with Wayland :D He's even on the heritage centre's website :D

I met folks from there at an Archaeology conference......I hope you like fish :rolleyes:

cheers,
M

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I know that Gary has spent a lot of time there in the summer, I was wondering if it is still geared up for tourists in the winter.

Bob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Email and ask; they speak good English I found.
Felt kind of offensive that I didn't know a word of their language, yet they could all speak English.

There's a very helpful tourist board, one of their reps was at the conference too.
I kind of got the impression that the islands were sort of in a similar situation to our outer Hebrides re transport and tourists.

cheers,
M

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The shops are open in winter as in summer. Bus transport may even be better in winter as many bus routes are primarily for school children and thus not running in summer.
The weather in winter could be good or ****e, mostly ****e. You can experience several types of weather the same day. You could wake up to rain, dine in sunshine an go to bed in a blizzard. Thats what makes it interesting to live here.
Here is some info: http://www.lofoten.info/?set_lang=en

From January to April many fishermen from all over the country come to Lofoten to participate in "Lofotfiske", the traditional, yearly fishing on spawning cod. And in march the World championship cod fishing is arranged: http://www.vmiskreifiske.no/?lang=en

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE