Loch Tay meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Preferred date for a Meet up at The Scottish Crannog Centre, Loch Tay.

• 26th to 29th October 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 2nd to 5th November 2007

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • 9th to 12th November 2007

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 16th to 19th November 2007

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • 23rd to 26th November 2007

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 30th November to 3rd December 2007

Votes: 9 34.6%

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Potential dates for a meet up at Loch Tay near the Crannog.
I'll copy over some of the info from the previous Loch Achray thread onto this one.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Relevant info :)

http://www.crannog.co.uk/docs/crannog_centre/events_diary_autumn.html

Okaay, the group who went last time did good. They loved us
Actually I think it was as much the things we did, and do, that they really liked, and they'd like more please

There's a piece of land on the opposite side of the loch that will eventually become an Archaeological Research Centre but at present it's available through a keyed access barrier to us at an arranged meet. The alternative is the narrower foreshore alongside the road leading to the crannog itself.
Think lightly wooded foreshore but with good parking nearby, and you won't be far wrong on the site. No problem with fires or water, and if a few hardy souls get busy on the log boats we'll have more than ample firewood too
It's a gigantic loch, there's enough room to spread out and use the site as a central meeting area if wanted. The oldest creature in Europe lives just around the corner at Fortingall. http://www.perthshirebigtreecountry....ndex.asp?pg=26

In the height of the tourist season it might not be as pleasant as might be but by the start of Autumn it's quiet and peaceful again......
Oh, and the Crannog folk would like archery too this time if possible , flint knapping would also go down well. I'll find out about fishing licence stuff, and we've been promised a fire night on the crannog; the impromptu concert last time was very good indeed.......

cheers.
Toddy

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
VERY JEALOUS.

Loved the crannog when we visited last Summer. We were lucky enough to have choosen a day to visit when they had a "concert by firelight" in the crannog to. Was very good.

Wish I could come back up, but a) am out of annual leave and b) its a LONG way to go for a weekend.

Don't forget to post lots of pictures if/when it goes ahead.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I'm not going to vote on a date, but I'll really try and get up whenever it's decided on. I might even stay for a week or two and do some voluntary work.

I missed the last one and definitely want to make the next.

Eric

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I'm easy, I can do any date, and I could stay longer if warthog fancies a bit of company.
anyone want to take a bottle of stags breath off my hands? I've got a few spares. :D

Gailainne

Life Member
I think I would like to say all of the above, but unfortunately, I dont think I would get away with it, however I'm easy on any of the dates, and could stay longer, I need a break from the Project, and this sounds perfect :D

Graham your a bad man, where did you get "Stags Breath", the hassle Goose and Spam had to get some, did you get down to Delamere that weekend ?.

Mary is the canoe projects still on ? I really fancy trying that.

Regards

Stephen

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
sure Graham sounds likethe start of a plan :)
could even bring my canoe up this time :rolleyes:
I would be up for sampling stags breath to ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, all sounds good. No particular date preferences here either...

Book it and they will come! :)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
The link in Mary's post above to the oldest living organism in Europe doesn't work.
Here's what it refers to.

Church of Scotland

In the geographical heart of Scotland stands the oldest living organism in Europe. The Fortingall Yew (Taxus baccata) has been guesstimated at anything between 3000 and 9000 years old. The tree sits in the corner of the churchyard of Fortingall village kirk and is surrounded by a wall and railings, which serve to protect it.

93532_Fortingall%20yew%20%A9%20Archie%20Miles.jpg

A major heritage tree of international important, what you see today are the relics and offspring of the original, which was recorded in 1769 as having a girth of 17 metres (65.5 ft). Steeped in history and folklore, prior to the introduction of Christianity, yew trees were regarded as the ‘tree of eternity’. Often long-lived, they have a habit of starting to grow again as they reach their 500th year.

Little remains of the original tree. Natural deterioration and vandalism over many years has reduced this once vast specimen to two surviving fragments. The remaining live growth, however, is in a healthy condition and continues to thrive.

Visit any time of year.

Here's the link Fortingall

I visited it a few weeks ago and while I couldn't give the tree a hug, I did shake hands with it (ovehanging branch). I was quite a spiritual experience touching something still living after 7000 years.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That tree was in the Trees that made Britain programme, following two amazing blokes from Kew as they go round Britain getting drunk and occasionally looking at a tree or two! Brilliant programme!

Stephen, I have a supplier now! 16 quid a bottle if I get four at a time, couriered to my door. I don't even have to go outside to get it! :D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Pretty much any date would suit me too, bit I voted on one anyway :)

This will be my first meet so not sure what the etiquette is (ok so I use that word knowing I'll get a ribbing but you know what I mean!!) :D What were the things we did last time that they liked and will we be doing them again??

As a bit of a noob, I can't contribute much, I can make charcloth, arrows and knock up a fairly mean trebuchet but would be more than happy to help out doing anything I can.

Also my 10 year old son is interested in coming along, he's well behaved, looked after and can clean up his own behind :D so would it be OK to bring him along?

Cheers,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're a pretty laid back bunch :)
Most of us make things, wander and camp kind of solitary, while a meet up like this is a social thing.
I like people, and that includes little ones; if we can't teach our children to be calmly social and civil then we're doing us *all* a great dis-service; that means that they need to be part of things, but with a tacit acknowledgment that adult conversation has it's place too and that bedtime is a good concept ;)

I hoping to re-acquire a parachute; I reckon that'd make a good central gathering area under some sort of cover if needed. Our usual activities include a barter blanket and I have no problem if someone wants to sell stuff; just keep it low key.
I've been seriously thinking about sort of arranging some craft workshops each day; cordage, firemaking, leatherwork, trapping, archery, diy clothing, pouches, campfire cooking, fungi, sharpening, show and tell knifeage :rolleyes: :D , liqueur making, sloe gins and the like, simple basketry, flint knapping, tracking, plant recognition.......the potential is there among us, but just how organised do we want to be?

There's a toilet on the site but it's small and septic tanked. It's not an issue when there are only half a dozen folks but if the numbers keep growing I'll see about hiring a porta loo from Perth and ask everyone to chip in a few quid to help cover the cost. Maybe one of the larger disabled ones for comforts sake.

Any comments ? Happy to discuss :D

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'm easy on dates but like the sound of the food and drink fair. Swayed my vote straight away.:)

I'll bring my string jig for the cordage workshop to play with. Have been making quite a few recently and find it nice and theraputic. Can't believe I bought bowstrings for all that time.

.......the potential is there among us, but just how organised do we want to be?
Please Toddy, family forum, shouldn't be using language like that.
Just kidding, organise away.:p Might cut down on the number of things folk miss by going on random paddles.

Some things are more ongoing activities like the archery and the show & tell sharp thingies:rolleyes: :D .
If I'm doing a knapping demo I'd rather do it early in the weekend to give others time to have a shot themselves after.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I can probably provide some archery equipment (depending on transport arrangements) and a decent supply of homemade booze, and I'd like to have a shot at a bit of basketry and some knapping.

Fungi might be a tall order - it's been a pretty rubbish season so far (as far as I can tell anyway) and by the time you're getting into November the best could well be over. You never know though... If it's there, I could probably be prevailed upon to do a "Fungi for Dummies" kinda thing (I'm not good enough to do "Fungi for Smarties", but I think for beginners there's a lot to be said for not getting too involved. ;))

Gailainne

Life Member
This sounds better and better, my cars smaller than Grahams (used to be) so I can t bring much in the way of tools, but is there a list of stuff needed ?, unfortunately mine are all modern, and most need a power supply, but happy to bring whatever I can squeeze in

:red: Are we there yet ? :red: Now ? :red: NOW ? :red:

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE