Loch lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Im planning a trip to loch lomond next year with my dad and my brother, im planning to buy a canoe, so this is a 2 parter!

I would like to be away from the crowds as much as possible and im also looking for a good fishing spot and somewhere i can setup a small camp, any suggestions?

Also the canadian style canoes i've looked at seem like they could carry 2 people well, but what about a 3rd person? The size i have checked out has been around 15ft'ers. Will i struggle to get gear / 3 people in that size? I'ts worth adding that we will be traveling very light.

Thanks guys

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Hehe good cuz im a total noob when it comes to canoes :p have been torturing myself on ebay for awhile now looking at what i cant afford ect!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Me too, I keep looking at the inflatables though. I probably wouldn`t use one enough to warrant a properly crafted one.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
well im setting myself a limit of 500, i saw a disgusting mint green one last week for 300, was a 15ft in what looked good condition, apart from the nasty colour! my brother owns a bodyshop though, so im looking for something that needs a little tlc!

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Matt
I bought my canoe off Ebay for £500 so there are bargains. I used it recently to do a trip to Loch Lomond from Balmaha and camped out for three days. I found the weekend busy with cabin cruisers and the odd jetski. However on Monday they were all gone and was able to watch from the canoe at close quarters, Fallow Deer, Wallabys and a hunting Peregrine falcon. There was no (human) noise either. So I will do Monday through Thursday next time.
Alan

PS
I'll see you on SOTP. There are a number of Friendly locals on there. I'm in Walsall. Let me know when you get sorted and perhaps we can have a paddle together?

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Sounds good to me, i do wana check out wallaby island! I've google earthed the loch a few times and i seem to be drawn to the north end of the loch, thats prolly me just wanting to get away from all the launches at the south end though lol

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Re the third seat.

If your mostly needing a canoe for 2 or even 3 people, you'd be better with a 16 ft boat or bigger. 15 ft is a popular option for tandems which are going to be often used solo.

Some canoes have a centre seat such as the 15 .5 ft Coleman. In canoeman's slang it's known as a duffer seat (I guess the implication is the occupant is not competent to paddle...) If one is not fitted you can fit temporary or permanent duffer seats. Do not remove a thwart or yoke unless you replace it with something similarly rigid such as a seat or kneeling thwart.

You will lose a little freeboard with three people in it. This is another reason to go with a bigger canoe.
As w00dsmoke says, if you post over on Song of the Paddle I'm sure the membership will try and advise.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE