Loch Fyne rhodie bashing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Been out at Scotties for the last week and a half helping with some clearing.
Here's the main infestation on a photo taken last summer.

Rhodies_01.jpg

On the whole we were using the Lever & Mulch method, the gist of which is:

Take one typical rhodie(if such a thing exists).

LF_FEB_01.jpg

Cut the main stems just below where they crown out into multiple branches, tidy off then haul about on the remaining metre or two of trunk until the roots give up letting you rip out the rootball.

You're left with a dismantled rhodie.....

LF_FEB_02.jpg

...and whatever roots may have broken off and been left behind. Individually they were pulling out quite easily.

LF_FEB_03.jpg

Then you lay the leafy parts of the plant as a mulch layer where it once stood...

LF_FEB_05.jpg

...and weigh it down with the rootball and trunks. Theoretically with last years seeds covered and the roots high and dry the jobs's a good 'un.

LF_FEB_06.jpg

OK, now do it again - a thousand times.
(this's day one, the bottom of the low patch)

LF_FEB_07.jpg

It's not a bad life though really.

LF_FEB_08.jpg

A few days later, looking down to the now massacred low patch.

LF_FEB_09.jpg

We had two dry days in the time we were there. The first was spent drying gear and relaxing, we worked the other and I got the camera out and took a wander around the high patch.

LF_FEB_PAN_01.jpg

LF_FEB_PAN_02.jpg

LF_FEB_PAN_03.jpg

LF_FEB_PAN_04.jpg

LF_FEB_PAN_05.jpg

Don't have any photos of the heart of the high patch. Scott was making the most of the dry and going at that area with a chainsaw and poison. There were thirty-odd year(and more) whole trees rolling down the hillside so we left him to it and steered well clear.

Home sweet home.

LF_FEB_10.jpg

A soggy snap from the paddle out yesterday.

LF_FEB_011.jpg

Job's not done but to be honest we were beat. The constant wet and lack of evening light made it hard to relax from the work which got tougher(and farther up the hill) every day. The high patch hides slabs and bluffs and each day clambering around became dodgier and slippier and we were getting tired...

....so a week or so r&r then back to it.
All rhodies must die after all.
It's funny how strong the feeling grows. At first it's howking the odd yearling in passing on the path, after a week it was detouring across 50m of heather to do the same, by the end of the trip we were spotting them in neighbours gardens that we'd passed a hundred times before and not even noticed.

:)
Josh

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I take my hat off to you doing that job :approve:
It's a bit of a shame that it's not more easily accessible because folks would come along for the day to help out, but it's just not practical for a day or even two for most folks.

Is there anything else that should thrive there in place of the rhoddies......how did they get there anyway ?

Thanks for the photos :D

cheers,
M

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Orrrible things rodies and good on you kicking them out. Hard work that and the woods pretty hard so even tougher goingl, then add a big hill!
Job well done that and lovely to see the proper colour of the hills when you where done.

Death to all rodies!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, looking forward already to seeing it next year. :)

How did they get there? Good chance the whole area spread from the "daddy". I seen it roll down the hill and would hazard a guess at forty years old or so(will count the rings on the stump). Has been sat there high and proud pouring out seed for all those years.
The surrounding area's bad. Half of Kintyre's infested. Daddy could have blown in from any number of places, most likely someone's bloody garden.

I know what you're meaning Toddy, we're on a five year plan and will be up and down yon hill any number of times. In a way it'd be the ideal candidate for a planting plan....
....but then you're into deer control. One job spirals off into another.... :rolleyes:

Right now seek-and-destroy is the game. We'll be back up to tidy the horrendous pile that used to be the high patch but that can be done when the sun is shining.
Next spring will be catching what we miss, dealing with surviving rootballs and plucking seedlings.
After that things should fizzle out until there simply aren't any there.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well done chaps, sorry I couldn't make it this time but I hope you've saved some rhodies for me to pull up next time

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Ach them be baby Rhodies... Ones we had to deal with were an average or 10m long, usually 4+inches girth.. lol although one or two were around 80 years old and over a foot and a half in diameter. Ardentinny is now nearly clear of them.. in places anyway.. :))

Good too see other areas being bashed too.. :)

Kill All Rhodies.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Good work fellas, they're a pet hate of mine. They're sods to the land and horrible tangled monsters to clear. I never get cross with a big old mess of them on difficult ground, it's a recipe for an injury. Just plod on systematically, as you've done.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Some serious work put in there, i gather it is an invasive species, what was it like for ticks up there?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Ticks there are no worse than anywhere else roundabout. Yeah, they're definately around, whether you pick them up is just your luck...
At that time of the year there are no midges or clegs though... :approve:
...and more to the point the bracken's down. Only time of the year you can really see anything.

Was trying to remember if I'd picked up ticks thon trip then remembered I was in my waterproofs just about the whole time. Dry trousers with neoprene boot and chest seals - about as tick proof as it comes. :)

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Ticks there are no worse than anywhere else roundabout. Yeah, they're definately around, whether you pick them up is just your luck...
At that time of the year there are no midges or clegs though... :approve:
...and more to the point the bracken's down. Only time of the year you can really see anything.

Was trying to remember if I'd picked up ticks thon trip then remembered I was in my waterproofs just about the whole time. Dry trousers with neoprene boot and chest seals - about as tick proof as it comes. :)

Sounds very like how i expect i'll be clad when travelling about the lochs, i am also planning to treat all my gear and clothing with this before i leave the city, i say planning as it has not arrived in the post yet, also got a 50% deet formula and wilmas nordic summer, also plan to seal the ankles and wrists as best i can, got o'tom tick twisters just incase

71v0v%2BMF-oL._SL1500_.jpg

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have a 24oz bottle dispatched last week, bookmarking that link just in case

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE