Loch Awe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Loch Awe 

Hey all,

Just returned from a trip to Loch Awe for 4 days and it was wonderful. We decided some months ago to plan a trip to the lochs and with a lot of advice and help from Woodsmoke we formulated a plan to Hammock for 3 nights and just take it easy with a little fishing and a paddle.

We put in at the north end of the loch and the weather was stunning blue skies warm and with a lovely breeze. We headed for the black islands and checked out a few others on route. The loch was quiet and the view of the castles and surrounding mountains were stunning.

DSC00225.jpg

meandianscotlandjune07010.jpg

We finally found an island that met all our of expectations and was completely empty  We landed and got the canoe out of the and un packed which was nice to get out for a stretch but the Midgies were on patrol so quickly covered up a little and got the various potions and sprays out. After closer inspection we decided to camp on the highest ground of the island and there were small signs of a prior camp so this coupled with more of a breeze was perfic :D So much so we used it as a base and just canoed around for the next few days.

meandianscotlandjune07012.jpg

When unpacked we secured the canoe and strung up the camp although I admit not being used to using a net on my hammock it did take a lot of headscratching to get it perfect (cheers Magikelly for the net by the way saved my *** literally) lol.

meandianscotlandjune07004-1.jpg

There was a question recently about how good hammocks were and I can now seriously couch for their credentials. Namely off the floor, better air circulation, swingability, easy midgie net use and just damn comfy and lazy lol
We also tried a type of fire that I have always seen in books but never actually remembered to trial. It was one of the best configurations I have used for a day fire ie cooking boiling and very self sustaining.

DSC00199.jpg

Loved the water here but caught bugger though it was the best fishing I have had in years oh and if you happen across the same island there should be a nice stash of split ash and a surprise under the split logs ;)

Visited all of the neighbouring islands and had a great time so gonna wind it up before people start to drift off if not already lol few pics to go ;)

meandianscotlandjune07005-1.jpg

meandianscotlandjune07015.jpg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
You were lucky with that weather, always rained when I have been there....Beautiful part of the world, isn't it. Thanks for sharing.....

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
NE of Oban, it's a three legged loch, rather narrow and has a few islands. Mainly FC land and access around the southern half. Nestling below the mighty Ben Cruachan and it's seven peaks.

Tayvallich and the Faery Iles and Loch Sween are further south but still worth the trip.

Nick

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
You may surprised how hot and dry it can be up here.:)

Nick

Actually no, was up around fort william a few years back and had the only radio station we could get, Nevis radio....( what an experence that was....) anyway, the presenter was saying about how hot it was and that he had never experenced it this hot before...It made us laugh at the time because it was about 10 degrees hotter back here...
I have been lucky with the weather in Scotland a few times and when its like that, there is nowhere else in the world I would rather be....

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
If you go up to Loch Ore there is a very good wiskey shop at Loch Fyne, All sorts of different wiskeys they have a bottle in there tat is £15000 its one of two in the world. Very nice staff in there they will let you try some of the wiskeys if you ask. Its worth getting a bottle of their own wiskey that they brew in Loch Fyne it will see you through your camping trip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE