Loch awe questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hi guys,
A couple of my friends and I are thinking about taking a wild camping trip up to Scotland this summer - and I was wondering some things!!
After some research I'm thinking of either Loch Etive or Loch Awe, as they seem quite accessible but not really busy.

But some questions:
- How busy are these in summer? Say August-ish?
- I know it's possible to hire canoes at Loch Awe - d'you know if it's possible to hire these for like a week at a time, or just by the day (I fancy those islands!)
- Is lighting fires ok? I've read various things about this.
- From what I've read on here and a bit elsewhere - we'd just need to buy permits there to be able to fish?
- How much woodland is camp-able around there (Loch Awe)? I'll have a hammock and tarp, although might take a tent as well just in case there's not much around, while my friends will probably have tents.
- I think (I may be totally wrong here!) it's possible to access Loch Awe by train?

I'm fairly sure I had more questions, but I can't remember them :rolleyes:.
Anyway any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks guys!

Loch Awe, you'll love it or loathe it. It can be a very wild and windy place even in August. A few train stops close by. Follow the outdoor access code, plenty hammocking/camp spots.
The honey pot areas have a fragile ecology. Getting ruined in places by so called fishermen and bushcrafters weilding canoes, saws and axes leaving a trail of firepits and shelters and knee high stumps. Amazing history if your prepared to look it up. Cruachan is well worth a visit but you do need to book it in advance as it's filled with hourdes in the summer.

Some of the local village shops are straight out of the league of gentlemen but basic supllies can be bought there, permits for fishing can be had in them too. Bailliffs do check.

WS

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Thanks guys :) Dwardo I've seen your review of it before, it really does look amazing :rolleyes:
Woodsmoke, what d'you mean about loving it or loathing it? That's worrying :eek:
D'you think it would be feasible to go out there for a week and camp along the shore with occasional fishing/wandering, without much disturbance?
Alternately, we were thinking to get away from any crowds, maybe we could just stop off along a river/stream somewhere.. It's all very difficult!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE