Loch Achray Meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Is a September/October meet likely?
If so any suggestion of dates would be good so swmbo can sign my leave sheet request:rolleyes: :D
I'm not sounding too desperate am I?;) :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I'm interested. How about one at the end of september and another at the end of october? Make it more likely that folk can make it to one at least.

Can't help with a date, I'm easy, just another weekend galavant, sooner the better, 22nd of Sept?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you think we could make the end of October one at Loch Tay instead? Beautiful place, loo and shower available :rolleyes: ideal site for canoes, masses of trees, logboats to be made, crannog to be visited......

cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Input anyone? Good? Bad? Too far? Not enough midgies?

I think Toddy's idea is a great one.
Was sörry not to make it a wee while ago, had hurt myself and missed a lot that weekend. Think that taking the crannog tour would make an excellent sideline for a meet and the loch(and river;)) would keep the paddlers happy for a few days.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Sounds like a plan to me! :) Achray has its benefits, but it's not the greatest camp site it the world. Or even in Scotland...

What's the deal with the woodland in the area of the Crannog Centre? Suitable for a bunch of axe-wielding maniacs?

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Needn't be the end of October, can be any time that suits Toddy and the folk at the crannog. I was just chucking dates about for the sake of it.

Gnarly, erm, perhaps, personaly I'm toying with joining the underblaket buy this time:).

Think it's all cool for the woods Dunc. Reports from the last visit sounded ideal.

Don't know what the arrangements are but I'm happy to pay camping fees if there are any and if a bunch of us pay for the tour it could work out to be quite a good arrangement for the crannog too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Okaay, the group who went last time did good :approve: They loved us :grouphug:
Actually I think it was as much the things we did, and do, that they really liked, and they'd like more please :cool:

There's a piece of land on the oppostie side of the loch that will eventually become an Archaeological Research Centre but at present it's available through a keyed access barrier to us at an arranged meet. The alternative is the narrower foreshore alongside the road leading to the crannog itself.
Think lightly wooded foreshore but with good parking nearby, and you won't be far wrong on the site. No problem with fires or water, and if a few hardy souls get busy on the log boats we'll have more than ample firewood too :)
It's a gigantic loch, there's enough room to spread out and use the site as a central meeting area if wanted. The oldest creature in Europe lives just around the corner at Fortingall. http://www.perthshirebigtreecountry.co.uk/index.asp?pg=26

In the height of the tourist season it might not be as pleasant as might be but by the start of Autumn it's quiet and peaceful again.
I went up on Monday with Eric Methven and he just about wanted to move in :D
Oh, and the Crannog folk would like archery too this time if possible :rolleyes: :D , flint knapping would also go down well. I'll find out about fishing licence stuff, and we've been promised a fire night on the crannog; the impromptu concert last time was very good indeed.

Right now is the middle of the underwater archaeology digging season, but when that's by I'll get hold of folks and start firming up dates. If there's a particularly suitable weekend I'll aim for that.

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE