Locating the gouch on a trank???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm talking making mittens :D .

I'm in the process of beginning to make a set of winter mitts (leather with rabbit fur liners) and I'm wondering whether there is anyone who's able to help explain a couple of things?
I'm right at the beginning and I'm stuck already :eek: - I'm trying to work out the correct position/size/shape of the gouch (thumb hole) on the trank (front/rear pads of the mitts) and how to work out the relative dimensions of the thumb piece. I could probably learn a lot if I bodged it (sorry Bodge :sad6: ), but I really don't want to waste a good bit of leather if I make a right royal mess.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Could you make some out of some scrap material just a tester. Then once you`re happy with the templates start on the leather

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've made gloves and mittens before.
Don't know if I can help, but I'll try if you like.
Did you buy a patttern, and if so which one, or are you making one for yourself ?

What's the problem with the proportions ?

cheers,
Toddy

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
An 'Oh, so typical' move! Ask a question and then, with an accidental click of the mouse, I find what *might* be the answer :cool: .

Don't know if I can help, but I'll try if you like.

Having said that I might have found the answer, I may still call on you're expertise if (more likely 'When') I get stuck (If that's O.K).

Did you buy a patttern, and if so which one, or are you making one for yourself ?

No pattern. I'm working by eye and what feels appropriate/right/correct to make a basic design/pattern. It may not be the easiest way, but it' give a level of satisfaction when it finally comes together :D .

What's the problem with the proportions ?

The problem was that I realised that I had no real idea where to put the hole, how big to make it and absolutely no idea how to form the thumb at all :eek:

Sounds like a Dr Seuss book to me...

:lmao: :eek:

Could you make some out of some scrap material just a tester. Then once you`re happy with the templates start on the leather

That's what I was considering. I guestimated that I'd need a four inch square for each attempt (for both bits) and that was off putting :yikes: . As it turns out the guestimate was about right :D .

Thanks for the help so far.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I found that there are a few ways of doing it.
However, if you tailor the thumb it gives greater degree of comfort and more dexterity; I've purposely gone for a design which should allow me to keep them on during cold weather and, when needs be, still grip tools safely.
Without the gouch, or alternative tailoring for the thumb, any movement of the thumb would cause the whole of the mitt to move about on the hand. Gripping anything would cause the material at the back to pull in the dirction of the thumb movement whilst, simutaneously bunching up at the front; the former could cause discomfort as it stretches and pulls over the skin on the back of the hand and the latter could cause poor grip - and, with prolonged use, both could cause friction hotspots on the hands and excessive wear to the mitts :( .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
They're not perfect, but I'm quite please with my first attempt at a pair of mitts.

The outers

The liners.
One is inside out to show the fur.

Measure twice - cut once! I did just that ... and still put the gouch in the wrong place :eek: .
Pic shows the repair.

Having used the mitts I've found that they give a neutral warmth. I don't like having overly warm hands and am surprised at how comfortable these are.
Another benefit is that your grip is unaffected and so you can wear them whilst working - I purposely went for a design that would allow me to do this, but used a 'wary' eye as to whether the design was truely work friendly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE