Local weather on BCUK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I like the now layout and the gallery is great, Well done to all involved.

You know there's a, BUT. The local weather bit at the top of the home page is a good idea but at 8:02 this morning it told me that as well as being 19 degrees London was 94% humidity.

Now unless I have missed something (Bedford is out of london) or London has moved in the tropics since the begining of the week then it's busted.

I noticed yesterday that the humidity was 68% and thought that was a bit weird (I've got a humidor that works hard to maintain 70% so the cigars don't dry out). But 94% is more like Hong Kong than the UK.

It is possible that my computer is playing tricks on me so let me know what you think.

Bill

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Hmm, think you're right - says its 94% humidity here in Bradford too

It is very sticky though - one of those hellish evenings rowing yesterday, when your sweat trickles rather than evaporates and you finish the outing covered in drowned midges :yuck:

But I imagine that the fault is somewhere upstream of BCUK, which is just displaying the data its being fed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
But I imagine that the fault is somewhere upstream of BCUK, which is just displaying the data its being fed
I could be a glitch their end..... but
Weather prediction can nerver be 100% accurate, the data from your area is proably gathered from a localised weather station or reporting center.... which in theory could be a few miles away from you from your actual location.

;-)
Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I believe that these feeds are from static stations. Humidity is quite high here and the measurements I get quite reasonable, but local variations can have an effect.

Maybe someone was hurring on the sensor!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you can change the weather display to show the weather in any area, its just set to london as default

once you change it to your area it will always display the weather for your area when you log in

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Stuart said:
you can change the weather display to show the weather in any area, its just set to london as default

once you change it to your area it will always display the weather for your area when you log in
Yeah, I forgot to say that - thanks Stuart!

It's programmed with nearly 38000 locations worldwide!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've found it to be quite accurate, the weather and the humidity....I've got Chorley as my location and it's spot on. Over the weekend I was down south and I set it for my area and it was accurate again.....

For those that don't know....you can click on the weather icon bit on the left hand side and it will give you a three or five day forecast for the area you have set. You can change this in the setup of your location....

I think that we're starting to get to the point where we need to put up some new FAQ's on the site for the changes...It will go on the list!!

I'm interested to get more feedback on the weather predictions on here, for those of you that rely on it for the forecasts let us know your thoughts....

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
See it's 36% now much more like it. Someone was watering the guage this morning, or I'm with Adi and the hurring theory.

Bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE