Local police

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Surrey Yeoman said:
Another thing is that the proof required for a complaint to be substantiated is much less than it used to be; Guilty on the balance of probabilities, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard) now applies.

That is very interesting. The same now applies to doctors as well. The inevitable result is that some completely innocent doctors and police officers will be unfairly deprived of their jobs, livelihoods and reputations.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’ve spent the biggest part of my life playing “rent a cop”, I’ve worked as a bouncer, retail security, commercial security, industrial security, dispatch, and community security. I’ve had dealings with nearly every rank of policeman/woman/person. And can happily say in 20 years I’ve only met one bad/indifferent copper. Considering I’ve been to court nearly 20 times and dealt with dozens of arrests, I think that my experience is not uncommon for my industry. The one bad copper was recognised by his own force and kicked out (medical retirement rather than prison).
Only a few weeks ago I was pulled over by a “stop team” they asked me lots of questions, and asked me to open my boot, but they were fine about the BoB with the three knives, and the axe. I explained what I had them for, and got in to a discussion of stainless over carbon steel. After the “ministry man” tested my diesel for red dye, a nice WPC pointed out that one of my tyres was only just legal, and told me that there was a diversion on my intended route (and how to avoid it)
I did see a almost impossible occurrence only a few months ago, two police men walking, yes walking, as in not in a car :eek:

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
Like most I've had good and bad experiences with the police, with regard to an air rifle.

To fully understand the situation, there is a bit of backstory. One of our neighbors kept multiple animals; she just didn't keep any of them healthy. One of her dogs found it's way into our garden, looking worse for wear and unable to walk, so my mum took it to the RSPCA. After that this neighbor decided to call the police every time I was using my air rifle in my back garden.

The first time the police came round they where very polite; explained that someone had reported a "youth with a gun" and that they where forced to investigate. They where happy and on their way in under 2 minutes.

Another time however, two different officers showed up and where really quite aggressive; threatening me with being arrested, saying that she'd found pellets on her land. I asked to see these pellets (knowing I'd never fired in the direction of her house), but the only response I got was "don't do it again, or we'll be back!".... something tells me the officers just fancied playing with me :cussing:

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Rebel said:
Richmond borough of London. It was a community support officer.

Ironic that he gave me a lot of hassle and wasted my time for nothing because my wife and I work quite closely with the community support officers in my local area and they know me by name. A lot of the local police know me and my family too from community events that we are involved in.

I realize that this chap wasn't well-trained and was being over zealous when he stopped me and he had no discernment at all. The support officers in my area are much better trained and supervised and I have a lot of respect for them.

I don't want to get him in trouble so much as want to keep him out of trouble. Not everybody is as patient and polite as I am.

Rebel,

Thanks for coming back to me and pointing out that the individual concerned was not a policeman, but a Police Community Support Officer (PCSO).

Alas, the PCSOs are still in their formative years and it remains to be seen if they will still be around in 10 years time - I suspect they will be, but only because they're cheaper than a "real" policeman. Like many things that the Government have introduced, they were introduced with great fanfare and huge sums of taxpayer's cash were thown at the idea. Alas, in the rush to recruit them some big mistakes were made and some people were employed who, to be frank, weren't fit to be employed at all, never mind put out on the street in a quasi-police uniform and role. I'm pleased to say that in my force most of the unsuitable ones have been weeded out and we're left with some very dedicated and caring individuals. That said, I'd rather more "real" policemen & women had been employed.

As I said to Falling Rain a bit further back, Please try not to let it affect how you react next time you're approached by a policeman or a PCSO.

Cheers

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Surrey Yeoman said:
Hi FR,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and please try not to let it affect the way you respond if you're ever approached by a copper again.

How long ago are we talking about? All I can say is that complaints are taken much more seriously nowadays and the investigation process for complaints IS independent and if a complaint is found to be substantiated an officer WILL be disciplined. Complaints are now supervised by the IPCC which, despite what the press may say, IS independent and has real (and very large) teeth!

Yes, police officers still do the bulk of the investigation work into complaints, but I have to say that "Professional Standards" as they are called nowadays scare the pants off me and seem to be staffed by people who's sole purpose in life seems to be to get ordinary coppers sacked!

Another thing is that the proof required for a complaint to be substantiated is much less than it used to be; Guilty on the balance of probabilities, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard) now applies.

It wouldn't affect me at all but they unnecessarily heavy handed. If I WAS the burlglar than I deserve everything I get. I'm wise enough to know that there is good and bad everywhere. I have a freind whos a sergeant in the police and realise that not every one is the same. I'm glad to hear they've improved the procedure.

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
Surrey Yeoman said:
Hi Ship,

Hope you got your moped fixed!

Couple of thoughts on your tale above.

1. Adults shouting profanities at a footie match could perhaps be accepted as the norm, but 13 year-olds...................whatever would your mam say!!

2. A belting right hook? I thought that was the standard greeting on Tyneside 20 years ago? Not condoning that sort of thing at all, but I bet the next time your mate was asked for his name and address by a bizzie, he stumped it up quick time!

Stay safe!

1. you should have heard the profanities from me mother when she found out i was off to juvenile court :D but she paid the fine for me God bless her :rolleyes:

2. Hartlepool is Teesside and the standard greeting is as above then followed by a swift nut and knee in the nuts, wer,e a friendly bunch :cool:

serious now,
from about 1976-84 i was a bit of a b*gger, always in bother and arrested, both rightfully and wrongfully more times than i care to remember, so i was obviously runnuing with the wrong crowd, but i can honestly :puppy_dog say that apart from being on the recieving end and also seeing others get a sharp jab or kidney/rabbit/stomach punch or knee in the nuts, i never heard of anyone getting a good beating of the Police.
Looking back I and those like me deserved all we got and more, but back then bad lad that i was, i still had some respect for the bobbies, even more so now i,m 43 with 2 kids and a very Victorian attitude to parenting :D .

Yeoman, you and your fellow proffesionals do a grand job in an ever more difficult and constrained world and for that i thank you all :You_Rock_

Regards,
ship

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'd like to think that if you were in trouble as a youth, at least you were keeping the coppers' training up to standard!! We can't have them sat around doing nothing all day!

:D

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
spamel said:
I'd like to think that if you were in trouble as a youth, at least you were keeping the coppers' training up to standard!! We can't have them sat around doing nothing all day!

:D

Spamel my friend, my mis-spent youth was more about my training rather than the coppers, i wanted to join the army :p

ship :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE