Local police

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
spamel said:
Is it true a pregnant woman can pee in a bobbys' helmet if she is caught short? If so, do you have to wear a helmet/cap to make an arrest, another myth I've heard in the past!

If both the above are true, I'd hate to be in your shoes trying to nab a young scrote just after dealing with a pregnant woman who was about to pee herself!! :yuck:

:D

No offense meant at all, just a bit of humour!! I do appreciate the job the police do, I just wish you had more Judge Dredd like powers! :naughty:

No & No :D

The helmet has a vent in the top so the wee would run out over her shoes anyway. :umbrella:

Don't have to be wearing a hat - could do it naked if need be! :eek:

"Lay down your weapons and prepare to be judged!" :AR15firin

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Surrey Yeoman said:
No & No :D

The helmet has a vent in the top so the wee would run out over her shoes anyway. :umbrella:

Don't have to be wearing a hat - could do it naked if need be! :eek:

"Lay down your weapns and prepare to be judged!" :AR15firin

Yeoman :cop:

respect is due...

the police that pulled me from a car crash years ago have my grattitude for the rest of my life.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My Father was a policeman and my Son's God Father is one too, they aren't all bad but like with any job you get the ones who let the power go to their heads, and its those guys who give the job a bad name.:rolleyes:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Surrey Yeomanry,

thanks for the reply, a little gentle ribbing never hurt anyone (unlike a fall down the stairs!) Just kidding.

What i really meant by integrity being compromised was, have you ever been in a position where you have had to arrest/ caution etc a person for doing something that is against the law but you actually agree with. I was just thinking about a situation where you may have been on a patrol with someone who 'detains' an individual for something that you may not have done if you had been by yourself because, in your heart you felt they were doing nothing wrong?

From my perspective, i've not had a bad first hand experience with the constabulary, however, i do volunteer work for a local Youth Offending Team and (bearing in mind who tells me!) the stories you hear (particularly about community enforcement officers) is shocking.

Still, it is unwise to tar everyone with the same brush. I for one am not the type of person to get drunk and look for a fight wearing desert boots, jeans, Union Jack t-shirt and a helly hansen fleece/ North Face Nuptse, but the local populace think it must be in my job description! :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Jedadiah said:
I for one am not the type of person to get drunk and look for a fight wearing desert boots, jeans, Union Jack t-shirt and a helly hansen fleece/ North Face Nuptse, but the local populace think it must be in my job description! :D

Yup, definitely a squaddie, he mentioned brothel creepers!!

:D

ship

Tenderfoot
Nov 27, 2005
NE UK
Right, over the last 30 or so yrs iv,e had a fair few dealings with the boy,s in blue,
so here goes:
13yr old, me n me mate arrested at a local football derby for, "using foul and abusive langauge where a breach of the peace MAY of been occasioned" whilst surrounded by 100,s of "grown ups doin the same thing", so thrown in the back of a sherpa van by a 40ish yr old sarge and after asking me mate his name n address 3 times and not getting an answer, he give him a belting right hook, needless to say he got an answer pretty damn soon after, and i didn,t need to asked twice ;)

one side of the coin

the other side

16 yr old, playing the silly b*gger on me moped, popped a wheelie, went over the back, no. plate off as well as the backlight, wnt to the g/friends (nearby) and put the plate back on with tie wraps, flapped about a bit but it was on, as for the light, i put a push bike rear lamp on, (no brake light) yea you guessed, got pulled going home bout m/nite, the bobby checked the bike from front to back and by the time he,d got to no. plate n rear light he already had me for no tax n a bald tyre, when he got to checking the brake light i explained, politely, what had happened, he laughed and congratuled me on my ingenuity and sent me on my way, and indeed followed me home, he also said that i had a week to sort things and after a week, if he seen me he,d pull me and do me for the lot.

good cop/bad cop :rolleyes:

ship(not a bad boy really)

i could tell more, but i can,t type quick :cool:

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Jedadiah said:
Hi Surrey Yeomanry,

thanks for the reply, a little gentle ribbing never hurt anyone (unlike a fall down the stairs!) Just kidding.

What i really meant by integrity being compromised was, have you ever been in a position where you have had to arrest/ caution etc a person for doing something that is against the law but you actually agree with. I was just thinking about a situation where you may have been on a patrol with someone who 'detains' an individual for something that you may not have done if you had been by yourself because, in your heart you felt they were doing nothing wrong?

From my perspective, i've not had a bad first hand experience with the constabulary, however, i do volunteer work for a local Youth Offending Team and (bearing in mind who tells me!) the stories you hear (particularly about community enforcement officers) is shocking.

No offence taken at all Jed! :)

To answer your integrity question, the answer is still no. I honestly can't recall any event such as you describe above.

As for the horror stories from the young offenders you work with, all I can say is take them with a BIG pinch of salt!

As an example, I was once sitting in the waiting area of a local Magistrates Court waiting to give evidence. I should have been on a day off, so I elected to go in "plain" clothes and do some shopping afterwards and not claim any pay for the day. Sitting a couple of seats down from me was the young lad I'd arrested for burglary. He didn't recognise me or didn't see me and was chatting to his mate. He was going on about how the copper that nicked him (me) was a right B'stard and how he's been knocked around and how I'd given him a right good kicking. I let him rant on for a bit before I introduced myself. Straight away he went as red as a beetroot and clammed up. His mate was giving me the evil eye. I spoke to the lad and asked him when exactly it was that I'd given him the kicking as I couldn't remember. Was it before or after I'd given him a tissue because he was crying, or was it after I gave him a fag before we went into Custody to book him in?

Another example was years ago in the late 80's. I did a school visit to a school in Tooting, southwest London. The class was almost exclusively young black teenagers aged 14 /15. When I walked in there was much muttering and sucking of teeth and an atmosphere of outright hostility. It got to the question and answer part of the visit and one lad stood up and asked me why the "Babylon" were always beating up the "Brothers." I turned the question around and asked him if he'd even been beaten up by the police? After an embarrassed silence he said no. I asked the class - 30 odd strong - if any of them had even ben beaten up by the police? The answer was no. Had anyone in their familiy ever been beaten up by the police? Again the answer was no. So, asks I, who do you know who's actually ever been beaten up by the police? Guess what, the answer was no-one!

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Lo all,

Just my 2 pennies worth - having once been a bobby and seen it from both sides....

The fact is that Yoeman (funnily enough I bumped into him on my Bushcraft Fundamental!) is, it must be said, one of the nicest blokes, policeman or not, I've met.

In addition, one must remember that for 95% of the time policemen and women are in the front line where they receive abuse, threats, violence and general :censored: from a small minority, but whilst doing so generally keep the rest of us safe and quite unaware of the general "stuff" that actually goes on in society.

As in any company or service, there are great people and there are not so great people, just like the rest of life I suppose!

I have the greatest admiration for those who are made of the stuff that allows them to put up with it!!

As a footnote, I've seen Dave skin a rabbit quicker than anyone I've known, so don't mess with him! I'm certain he could do the same with you! :D

Have fun, keep safe, and don't forget to smile!

Phil

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
ship said:
Right, over the last 30 or so yrs iv,e had a fair few dealings with the boy,s in blue,
so here goes:
13yr old, me n me mate arrested at a local football derby for, "using foul and abusive langauge where a breach of the peace MAY of been occasioned" whilst surrounded by 100,s of "grown ups doin the same thing", so thrown in the back of a sherpa van by a 40ish yr old sarge and after asking me mate his name n address 3 times and not getting an answer, he give him a belting right hook, needless to say he got an answer pretty damn soon after, and i didn,t need to asked twice ;)

Hi Ship,

Hope you got your moped fixed!

Couple of thoughts on your tale above.

1. Adults shouting profanities at a footie match could perhaps be accepted as the norm, but 13 year-olds...................whatever would your mam say!!

2. A belting right hook? I thought that was the standard greeting on Tyneside 20 years ago? Not condoning that sort of thing at all, but I bet the next time your mate was asked for his name and address by a bizzie, he stumped it up quick time!

Stay safe!

Broke

Mar 20, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
I've not had problems in the past 2 years since I started this bushcraft stuff...unless you count when the neighbors called the fire department on me a few weeks back when I had a large fire going in my BBQ grill (where I do all my bushcraft fire experiments). The neighbors looked a little embarrassed when the fireman told them, "It's just a barbeque." I think my neighbors couldn't see me tending the grill around the corner of my house, they could only see the flaming bbq pit. Regardless, by the time the fire department arrived, my fire had already burned down to only coals.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
...............and thanks for the kind comments Phil!

Now I've never skinned a human (yet) - stuffed a few beavers in my time though! :naughty:

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey Surrey Yeoman,

thanks for the reply, i am always equipped with a big 'ol bag of salt when i am working with young offenders (and their families) and have a good idea that what i am told, invariably is sour grapes and boasting. It's the young people who mess up once and get caught (as young people do) full of remorse, genuinely regretful etc who tell me some amazing things about the treatment they get from certain officers and it is backed up by their families.

Of course i cannot go into specifics but it seems to me that the police force are like Muslims.

No, No, hear me out first. What i'm saying is that the well deserved noble reputation of the majority is sullied by a minority within. Extremists i suppose, who, through some misguided mind set, think they do what they do for the greater good.

And of course, the 'gentlemen' of the press are never slow to exploit this, but then, the same could be said of them i suppose. :rolleyes:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Rebel said:
Better not mention my last encounter with a community police officer in Richmond. :rant:

I took his name and station and will be reporting him to his superiors.

I wouldn't waste your time you'll get nowhere. I was bundle into a car some years ago quite roughly by 4 plain clothes officers in an un-marked car because they thought I was a burglar :cussing: I was pushing my bike home up a hill on my way home from a pub and had a ruck-sack on so of course I looked like a burglar :confused: Anyway I got bundled into the car and taken down to the station, questioned and when they realised they'd got the wrong man, because I'd had a few drinks they decided to caution me for being drunk and disorderly which is complete crap because I was simply making my way home minding my own business and was merry but not bothering anybody in anyway. Anyway I lost my bike as it was left on the floor as they bundled me into the car. Anyway I tried to complain and got completely no where it was a waste of time. Very angry :cussing:

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
falling rain said:
I wouldn't waste your time you'll get nowhere. I was bundle into a car some years ago quite roughly by 4 plain clothes officers in an un-marked car because they thought I was a burglar :cussing: I was pushing my bike home up a hill on my way home from a pub and had a ruck-sack on so of course I looked like a burglar :confused: Anyway I got bundled into the car and taken down to the station, questioned and when they realised they'd got the wrong man, because I'd had a few drinks they decided to caution me for being drunk and disorderly which is complete crap because I was simply making my way home minding my own business and was merry but not bothering anybody in anyway. Anyway I lost my bike as it was left on the floor as they bundled me into the car. Anyway I tried to complain and got completely no where it was a waste of time. Very angry :cussing:

Hi FR,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience and please try not to let it affect the way you respond if you're ever approached by a copper again.

How long ago are we talking about? All I can say is that complaints are taken much more seriously nowadays and the investigation process for complaints IS independent and if a complaint is found to be substantiated an officer WILL be disciplined. Complaints are now supervised by the IPCC which, despite what the press may say, IS independent and has real (and very large) teeth!

Yes, police officers still do the bulk of the investigation work into complaints, but I have to say that "Professional Standards" as they are called nowadays scare the pants off me and seem to be staffed by people who's sole purpose in life seems to be to get ordinary coppers sacked!

Another thing is that the proof required for a complaint to be substantiated is much less than it used to be; Guilty on the balance of probabilities, rather than beyond a reasonable doubt (the criminal standard) now applies.

Johnboy06

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2006
Ellesmere Port
Well i think its like any profession im sure u get nice understanding police and complete idiots too. Iv met both types. Iv only ever had one encounter in the country tho. We had gone lamping for rabits with air rifles with all permission and liscences in place. when we had finished we went back to the car and there was a couple bobbys standing there. We must have looked rather strange with rifles and full camo gear on lol. But they were pleasant enuf looked at our liscences and let us go on our way. They said they had had a few phonecalls about strange red light in the field lol (our lamps). So i suppose in their defense if they get calls from people who dont understand what there seeing theyve gotta investigate not their fault at the end of the day.

Met some right pratts tho too lol but thats always bin in urban areas :D

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
falling rain said:
... Anyway I lost my bike as it was left on the floor as they bundled me into the car. Anyway I tried to complain and got completely no where it was a waste of time. Very angry :cussing:
I know I would be very annoyed at that scenario and personally I would expect them to cough up for a new bike! After all it was there actions that got your bike stolen, shame about that.

I've had a few dealings with the police, all seemed very nice and polite.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Surrey Yeoman said:
Richmond, Surrey or Richmond, N.Yorks? Police Officer or Police Community Support Officer?

Just Curious!

Richmond borough of London. It was a community support officer.

Ironic that he gave me a lot of hassle and wasted my time for nothing because my wife and I work quite closely with the community support officers in my local area and they know me by name. A lot of the local police know me and my family too from community events that we are involved in.

I realize that this chap wasn't well-trained and was being over zealous when he stopped me and he had no discernment at all. The support officers in my area are much better trained and supervised and I have a lot of respect for them.

I don't want to get him in trouble so much as want to keep him out of trouble. Not everybody is as patient and polite as I am.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE