Lizard ID

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Whilst tidying up one of my woodpile's i came across this tiny lizard? it was early morning and i take it he was sluggish due to not having warmed up yet, i picked it up place it on sheet of paper with a ten pence next to it for scale, then put it safely in the pile of wood for next year, checked on it later and it had gone, i usually get frog's and toads under my log pile's but never come across one of these before, anyone know what it is, on its underside it was pale brown with a reddish stripe running its full lenght.

First pic is of me moving it and scale pick

lizard001.jpg

Second pick is in next years wood pile.

lizard005.jpg

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
FYI mate newts are a protected species. When it comes to certain types you are not allowed to interfere with them in any way. I have them breeding in the ponds in my garden, I think they are great and the kids love em. They will spend the winter in a log pile as they are only aquatic in the spring and early summer.

Mart.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Mart id heard newt's where protected(didnt know about no interference in any way) but i though it was safer to move it to a pile of logs im not going to be using this year, (only 20ft from one being used) as i was chopping, sorting,and clearing the other pile to make room for some bags of coal, and it would have stood a large chance of getting squashed.

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Quite right mate better to be safe than sorry. Off the top of my head i think its the great crested newts that are most protected. I've read that garden ponds are becoming a safe haven for newts as more and more land is f---ed up by modern farming methods.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
It's just the Great Crested Newt that has the full protection (not even allowed to handle them without a DEFRA license).

Smooth and Palmate Newts just have basic protection, i.e., you're not allowed to deliberately harm or kill them and you're not allowed to sell them as pets, etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE