Living

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baldscot

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
glasgow
Bushcraft / camping is my hobby, something i enjoy after work and family commitments allow.

Surely bushcraft and camping can be combined - i only manage to get mates to come along because i ask if they want to come camping. If i asked them to come bushcrafting, i'd get laughed out the room. While we're camping, i practice some bushcraft skills, which they enjoy seeing and occassionally trying.

We / I only go for 1,2 or 3 nights due to work / family so, if you insist on a label then i'm a weekend camper (although i work shifts so sometimes get out mid-week, is there a term for people like me?)

In terms of this site - i haven't posted much as i haven't got much to pass on in terms of knowledge, but i have been both educated and inspired by many of the posts. As i enjoy it, i became a member, if i didn't - i would have closed the page, not start a debate which would have meant returning to the site.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Break down the word bushcraft, bush as in outdoor away from home and craft as in a creative or useful activity.
It's what you make it and how much time you can afford to give it and should never be categorised in to what the first post almost reads as I do bushcraft you do not. It's an experience on a personal level.

I see the key point of this site is to learn, share skills and experiences, you always have something new to learn.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Is this a site for weekend campers?.."

That is about all I have time for these days.

"...Or am I at the wrong site?..."

Possibly, only you can answer that question.

Out of curiosity (and repeating southey's question), what do you eat day to day? Are you trying to live of the land? After the six weeks out and about how malnourished are you? Do you weigh yourself pre-departure and again on your return?

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I sniff the beginnings of a locked thread... :D

I don't get to camp out much because of work and family commitments. I don't claim to be an expert or able to live off the land but from being on here and meeting various people, I've learnt a few useful and interesting skills that I wouldn't have come across in my day to day life/work. Your initial posting about gutting fish/skinning rabbits as "a given" implies that you were never taught how to do it but had some innate ability. I've been taught how to gut fish (mackerel) but have never been shown how to skin a rabbit - I'm sure I could probably do it from the videos I've seen but it's not something my father taught me.

Pistachios... priceless :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - I envy your skills level and the contacts you have.
I just do not have the contacts with landowners to get the permissions needed to live off the land like you do!
I can get a few perms to take the odd bird or bunny in my local area - but to walk for 6 weeks and never get off your permitted "living off the land" perms - boy are you lucky!
And in Scotland as well!
I hope you have Beenn keeping well on your travels :)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Bushcraft can let us reconnect with the world around us and some of it can be brought in to enrich our daily lives, I for one enjoy the 21st century and feel privileged to be able to take the best from the stone age, the iron age and the information age to build a balanced life.

This is simply a fantastic summing up of what bushcraft means to me, I'm just not that eloquent to be able to say it. May I steal it please.

i think most members here unless lucky enough to work in the industry could be termed part timers when it comes to bushcraft.
A combination of work commitments, social obligations be it partner children elderly relatives or such like mean we can only get to do our HOBBY in free time, i know if i asked Lady of tanith if i could go away for 6 weeks to wander the countryside living off the land i would be told in no uncertain terms what she thought of my idea.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Woodowl,I am sorry you do not have a understanding of how most people live in this country of ours,it would be almost impossible to live off the land the way you describe as it would be against the law,I grew up in N.Z and Australia,solo camped,backpacked all over New Zealand and Australia,worked when i wanted,hunted deer and boar with a bow/firearm,trapped possum and rabbits,lived on trout and fresh water crayfish,learnt the edible plants from the Maoris.I often wonder how I would have lived my life if my parents hadnt emigrated to Australia,when I was six.Not everyone has a hunger to get away from civilization or just live in the great outdoors,its just good for the majority to fullfill a passion to learn skills and get time with people with similar interests.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Kephart doesnt really differenchiate between ordinary camping and woodcraft.

I dont get out much; I am a student and need lots of time in order to laze, after all.

But these things affect me in day to day living, how I use things, see things, understand things...

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Kephart doesnt really differenchiate between ordinary camping and woodcraft.

I dont get out much; I am a student and need lots of time in order to laze, after all.

But these things affect me in day to day living, how I use things, see things, understand things...

I think you've put it perfectly Tengu....however, woodowl seems to have gone quiet, I was looking forward to the photos he mentioned earlier......

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Woodowl,I am sorry you do not have a understanding of how most people live in this country of ours,it would be almost impossible to live off the land the way you describe as it would be against the law,I grew up in N.Z and Australia,solo camped,backpacked all over New Zealand and Australia,worked when i wanted,hunted deer and boar with a bow/firearm,trapped possum and rabbits,lived on trout and fresh water crayfish,learnt the edible plants from the Maoris.I often wonder how I would have lived my life if my parents hadnt emigrated to Australia,when I was six.Not everyone has a hunger to get away from civilization or just live in the great outdoors,its just good for the majority to fullfill a passion to learn skills and get time with people with similar interests.

I totally agree with you, I spent a long time in NZ, and did loads of bushcraft things, even before it was called bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE