Living

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
Having spent some time reading the contents a number of Bushcraft sites, I find myself wondering what it is really all about? I am back at home after six weeks walking and living as, I feel, life should be. Is this a site for weekend campers? I have seen many postings of "how to catch a fish, skin a rabbit" etc but are these skills not way of life and taken as given?Or am I at the wrong site? Off walking again next Tuesday to see the Autumn in beautiful Scotland.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It's a site that doesn't pigeonhole people's habits but celebrates the diversity of opportunities and experiences we all have - be that weekend campers or full time explorers. We all have something to share and something to learn.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
"I am back at home after six weeks walking and living as, I feel, life should be."

Well if that is life as it should be then you should go live it. I don't know what you were doing but was it sustainable long term? Would you still enjoy it if you did it for 3 years? When I was 18 my best mates dad sold up and bought a boat in the Bahamas, dived for fish for his dinner every day moored somewhere new to sleep every night. I thought it sounded like paradise but 10 years later he was back living in a flat in Kings Lynn.

Bushcraft can let us reconnect with the world around us and some of it can be brought in to enrich our daily lives, I for one enjoy the 21st century and feel privileged to be able to take the best from the stone age, the iron age and the information age to build a balanced life.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It's a site that doesn't pigeonhole people's habits but celebrates the diversity of opportunities and experiences we all have - be that weekend campers or full time explorers. We all have something to share and something to learn.

a combination of a hard day, red wine, and the late hour has stripped me of any vague pretence of elequence. thanks for saying what i was thinking :)

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
Fair call but is all the other stuff bushcraft? I can see your point and think its good to get every one all booked up and so on, but is cooking a shop caught fish on a gas grill in a country carpark really such a chalenge? My first job was as a pool attendant and part of my job was to teach children to swim. They gave a badge for swimimg 5 meters. I wonder sometimes how many of those kids might have fallen out of a boat and thought "hey I'm ok I have a badge" then 100 meters from land.............!!!!!!!!

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
Robin, I had a strange look from the young lady in St Fagans today when I asked " is that one of Robin Woods Bowls?" the big round house was closed though!!! If we want to learn what has all but been lost then it must be all or nothing?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They gave a badge for swimimg 5 meters. I wonder sometimes how many of those kids might have fallen out of a boat and thought "hey I'm ok I have a badge" then 100 meters from land.............!!!!!!!!

The purpose of the 5m badge is to motivate the child to keep going.
Why does everything have to be a challenge?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Fair call but is all the other stuff bushcraft? I can see your point and think its good to get every one all booked up and so on, but is cooking a shop caught fish on a gas grill in a country carpark really such a chalenge? My first job was as a pool attendant and part of my job was to teach children to swim. They gave a badge for swimimg 5 meters. I wonder sometimes how many of those kids might have fallen out of a boat and thought "hey I'm ok I have a badge" then 100 meters from land.............!!!!!!!!

Well if the point is "if it doesn't help you survive in the harshest environment there's no point" I would disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed as a teenager working my way through Richard Mabey's "food for free". It taught me a lot about my local environment, helped me connect with it on a deeper level, and also made me realise that it's a lot easier buying your food from a farmer. I gained huge respect for "primitive" cultures that lived off the land but I also realised that we are privileged to be able to live any life we choose. You want to be a pirate? go smuggle drugs in the Caribbean, you want to be a hunter gatherer? there are places on this earth where you can go and do that but not the UK. And don't expect to have internet access and healthcare.

Last edited by a moderator:

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
I as for as little as I can from your world. I go back and see my sisters family when I can (I am on their PC now) and I, once in a while talk to a bank, again for my sistres sake. And it can and is being done in the UK I know I do it.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Robin, I had a strange look from the young lady in St Fagans today when I asked " is that one of Robin Woods Bowls?" the big round house was closed though!!! If we want to learn what has all but been lost then it must be all or nothing?
I don't think I have done St Fagans any bowls in the past though I do have a bunch of Iron Age replica bowls half made for them at the moment. I was very tempted to go down there today for the carpenters fellowship Frame event which is always great. This year the folk from Neeman tools are there http://www.neemantools.com/en/gallery/bearded-eye-broad-axe I would drive a long way to handle an axe of that quality but sadly have been playing too much so have to work all weekend.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I as for as little as I can from your world. I go back and see my sisters family when I can (I am on their PC now) and I, once in a while talk to a bank, again for my sistres sake. And it can and is being done in the UK I know I do it.

Good for you. Meanwhile I have to keep a roof over my kids heads which demands I work at least 9 to 5:30 every week day. So even if it was possible to be a hunter gatherer in the UK, whilst staying above the law. It wouldn't keep my kids warm, healthy or educated.

Weekend camper and proud.

woodowl

Dec 29, 2011
Glamorgan
The young lady had a look at a clipboard an said it was your work. It was the new house that has been brought from Penbroroke, very nice building too.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I dint think you'd have much time for bird watching if you are having to live from the land for prolonged with out any kind of outside support such as taking from farmed stocks, could you give us a break down of your diet over a couple of days, how far do you travel, what areas are you doing this in? Sounds great.do you use any metal kit what clothes are you using? Modern materials or skins?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE