Living long periods outdoors, Hygiene & washing clothes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...p.s to the man in the mountings both the washing & shower method can be done in you r shelter & by fetching your water from a water source, not that hard to work out so you wont need to freez outsides numpty !

Yes fair enough if you're camping alone. But what I mentioned was Winter deer camp such as when I still lived in Neveada. That's normally 3 or 6 men & women sharing a small wall tent. And not always with a stove in the tent (without one it's almost the same 12-30 degrees inside the tent.
In any case I'm not stripping to take a shower in front of my daughter. Nor do I think she or any of the others would appreciate the soapy water on the tent floor.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahaha what a crazy thread!, I wear woollen underclothes which don't need anywhere as much washing, and im happy to get my outer clothes very worn before they get washed but when I do I plan a stop by a water source and use the same soap bar that ill use to wash myself, don see the point of taking extra kit along for the task,

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"bod & rik uk if you cant understand simple instructions layed out in black & white thats your fault not mine" Well it is your fault as your post made no sense, it was not coherent, pehaps you had just woken up from a deep sleep who knows. I would also suggest you refrain from saying you would drag people off for a wash because if tried you really could get into trouble.

While I'm at it, don't you try and impose your standards on others, if you don't like what others do then don't camp with them its as simple as that.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
[video=youtube;f0CVl853HUg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0CVl853HUg[/video]

Flat rock, scrubbing brush and a bar of soap - job done.

Another alternative is the military way of washing your clothes with them on. Then strip off and do yourself.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I cant believe how ungrateful some folks are for a perfectly tried & tested method of cleaning ones self & clothes being posted out to only give more options & ideas of useful tips for the out doors ! To want to shoot some one down in flames for passing on knowledge tells me one thing , you are the type off people that says misery , jelouse & loud mouths hiding behind you computer !
bod & rik uk if you cant understand simple instructions layed out in black & white thats your fault not mine ! Odd bod if its the fun part its called a sense off humar ! Then again i get carma off you saying you take life to seroiuse & a snob if im right being politicaly correct always.
Santaman did not one time did i mention hiking with these or carrying water ! stop putting words into peoples mouths . you are the type to a new comer lets contradict & make an idiot off . like your idea to the long time members as you state . my solar shower bag is the same as the bin liner being tied togeather & heated by putting in a sun spot so you like the full time meber but not mine ? & i was referring to a base camp where gear & kit was dropped off & water fetched. your a joke !!!
The photo was fun i couldnt stop laughing my self having a sense of humar , wouldn`t like to think it had a message saying all who has bushcraft skills are stupid for having life saving knowledge , which im sure you didnt & meant well for a chuckle !
The rest were positive with good ideas & interesting to hear , i myself remember one bath a week as 3 brothers & 3 sisters had to make best use off the coal fire heating system too. Very little in material terms back in those days.& not to forget its true a little dirty does stop you from being less imune to disease . muther preached it all her life & a nurse at that but theirs difference from just being filthy & no hygiene principles which does the opposite to your health inviting all sorts off germs. By washing when needed is important to health.
Now wonder what the arrogant negative know all smart alecs are going to say , just see them going over evry line for an excuse for an argument ! well before you do il have words with you & leave this site & take my passing knowledge to better forums if this is what this forum is all about ! no wonder people prefer to just read it from the out side & not sign- up . smart alecs a plenty on here santa man sooki bottom , i want to make friends with the full time members dont go about it by bringing me down right !
If it takes me to put a link up here shuting up the doubters that this is a popular way off washing clothes with out electricity & used in the outdoors i have more than a few films using this method !!!
p.s to the man in the mountings both the washing & shower method can be done in you r shelter & by fetching your water from a water source, not that hard to work out so you wont need to freez outsides numpty !

one of the funnest posts i've read in a long time....

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Hey.

I think Northern wilderness has a good point and a viable method.

He has said previously that he's interested in living outdoors permantly so his method is a good one, if your living outdoors for a long period of time then it's entirely plausible you would have the equipment to use the method. The method mentioned is probably a better way of washing clothes than the black bag method when living outdoors long term.

I for one will thank Northernwilderness for sharing this and hope you continue to share.

Also if i can make sense of a post then anyone can, who cares if it's not perfectly coherent, there are many reasons it may not be.

When Northernwilderness joined up he was looking for advice on various things and he stated hed share all he knows in return. Which is a great thing and the great thing especially of this forum.

So thankyou Northernwilderness

PS

It's cool to disagree with somoene but it's really a poor show to put someone down for trying to share knowledge with folks.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
We used John Fenna's method to make a swimming pool in the garden when we were kids! Well, it was milk crates rather than logs, but the same idea - happy days :)

I've also found a metal mug of a pint or so (as for canteens and waterbottles) to be a good size for washing. You can heat it up and with a little bit of flannel give yourself a strip wash quite easily, and it will hold a pair of boxers and a pair of socks too. Never really bothered with the soap that much when out and about, just letting it soak and ringing it out gets the worst of it out, and it means no rinsing or leftover soap suds. I even got myself a 2nd mug just for this that lives on my spare waterbottle, since I don't much like drinking brews that taste of shaved off stubble and sweaty socks!

Never found myself washing outer clothes when outdoors, have done 2 weeks in the same set before and not having a freshly laundered jacket and trousers for every day of a trip isn't going to kill me off. And if it's just for a weekend or so, then I'll probably not even worry about washing or shaving at all - it's not a fashion contest you know :p

Bucket showers et al can be workable if you're in a faraway spot without hot water service for some reason (a cabin with a dodgy boiler for example) but it's in no way portable, private or a good idea for cooler climes!

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hey.

I think Northern wilderness has a good point and a viable method.

He has said previously that he's interested in living outdoors permantly so his method is a good one, if your living outdoors for a long period of time then it's entirely plausible you would have the equipment to use the method. The method mentioned is probably a better way of washing clothes than the black bag method when living outdoors long term.

I for one will thank Northernwilderness for sharing this and hope you continue to share.

Also if i can make sense of a post then anyone can, who cares if it's not perfectly coherent, there are many reasons it may not be.

When Northernwilderness joined up he was looking for advice on various things and he stated hed share all he knows in return. Which is a great thing and the great thing especially of this forum.

So thankyou Northernwilderness

PS

It's cool to disagree with somoene but it's really a poor show to put someone down for trying to share knowledge with folks.

+1 on all points.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We used John Fenna's method to make a swimming pool in the garden when we were kids! Well, it was milk crates rather than logs, but the same idea - happy days :)...

LOL. We used sandbags and construction bisqueen in Desert Storm. It was about 8 or 10 feet square and a foot or so deep. I was baptized (immersion) in it. Me and a Para from the 101st.

Aug 16, 2011
rik uk - It was a figure of speach when i said id throw them in ! your the only one that didnt under stand the procedure whilst every one else did ! you`v been arrogant both times now & dont threaten me ok ! bug out my thread your getting (blocked) from the hundreds off good tips iv got to share & make good disussions for your attitude !
santa man (paras) got my respect their my best friend is still their , it was just the way you assumed this was for trecking, could of asked in a civval manner what type off camping does this suite it makes for better discussions no harm done bud. john fennas was a good one with minimum kit & suite trecking .
If i know something works i wont be patronized not at my expense ! if im incorrect you will see that im thankful for putting right & i agree its good to disagree makes it all the more interesting like sc/wanderer says & thank you , good to know got descent folks on here willing to stand up & be counted when something is not right cheers as it kept me from leaving as its what i came on to do .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now do not take this the wrong way :)
Some folk may find your unique style of written English a little hard to follow and not all of the comments you are having issues with are attacks on you (at least - not as I read them) but just comments :)
Chill and share my friend - but some may find your writings hard to follow :)

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I have had no success with those solar shower (black bag things) either in the West of Scotland or in the height of summer here in the tropical paradise of the English Midlands even after a full day to warm up. Has anyone mastered it?
Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have had no success with those solar shower (black bag things) either in the West of Scotland or in the height of summer here in the tropical paradise of the English Midlands even after a full day to warm up. Has anyone mastered it?
Alan
South Africa only for my successes here....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Solar showers in the UK? No, they may get tepid. I did have solar hot water when I lived on Cyprus and that worked very well when the temperature was 25c - 40c but in the cooler months we have to use the electric immersion heater.

John is right, some don't understand your writing style but I do know I don't like
"rik uk - It was a figure of speach when i said id throw them in ! your the only one that didnt under stand the procedure whilst every one else did ! you`v been arrogant both times now & dont threaten me ok" load of bullocks there, I did not threaten you as such, I threatened anyone who even attempted to throw me in water for a wash, not a threat really, more an absolute promise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE