Living in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Here in Coventry, there was Mr Tuesday, who lived for many years in Wainbody Woods South, it is now called Mr Tuesday's wood.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Political advancement may smell like following the book. In the real world, these people have elected to
follow a very benign path with a minimalist footprint on the landscape. They are a wholesale embarassment
to the establishment because they demonstrate that it can be done. Not by 10's of thousands, but it can be done.
Relax. Leave them alone. Most times, that seems what they wanted.

I can sneak in there, leave salt, flour, sugar, baking powder, lard and a chocolate treat and be gone faster than Houdini.
They know it was me, I always leave exactly the same things in the same weather- and bear-proof place.
No, I don't need to visit and neither do they.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yes. We have lots of them. Take a hard look at the BC coast from Knight up past Bute and Toba inlets. Follow the Inside Passage up beyond Prince of Wales Island,
up beyond Haida Gwaii. You won't starve. The real deal is that the landform rises 60 degrees out of the ocean = there is not a flat place to sit.
You can research a few flat-land camps up there but the demand is very high.
Plus, most forestry camps are enormous assemblages of floating log islands, chained together. Schools, house, you name it.
The chainsaw repair people live on barges and they cruise up and down the coast from one camp to another. Weird way to live but they all happy.

Inland where I live, there are spectacular campsites with rushing water mountain creeks. Just show up and do your thing.
23K up the Holmes has flat room for maybe 8-12 families. Beforee the snow flies, of course, the bears, blacks and grizz, are still out.
They will spoil your trip no matter what you think you can do.

So, you do your bushcraft stuff in my back yard. 9' x 12' tent that you can stand in. Electricity. Indoor bathroom. Indoor sleeping in the cold.
I kill as many grouse as possible while we tour the place. Nikon 82mm Prostaff spotting scope to look for goats & sheep.
Roasted breast of Ruffed Grouse with pomegranate and curried pecan stuffing, cinnamon peach glaze.
I don't think you will spit it out.

Mar 20, 2015
EU
It took a while for my reply to be approved it seems, but for those who have missed, here it is: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130487&p=1628824#post1628824

I didn't want to reply to anything else after I wrote that. Anyway, now I will reply to the rest of the posts. I really appreciate all the attention this has gotten!

-

To the OP..why not just buy a van..and boondock? you are mobile.......you can get out of the way.....park up, immobilize van........toddle off for a day or 16.....

Unfortunately I have no idea how to drive. I have never sat at the wheel. Ever. Getting the license would also cost around $1000 (maybe around $900 - not sure), which is way too costly. And I will have no use for that license because I won't have a car here.

Going to one of the aforementioned countries and buying a van if I knew how to drive is a great idea though. I won't even have to pay much for gas because it would mostly be stationary. Anyway, great idea, but not for me, unfortunately.

If you get bored after a few weeks camping. Will the same not happen, after months in isolation?
Good luck what ever you do.

This is something I would appreciate opinions or thoughts on. Thing is, I see having little to do when camping. I don't think camping is my thing because as I see it, you set up camp and you go to near locations to hunt and forage, then come back with a rabbit, skin, cook it, etc.. I don't think it would interest me personally (maybe for a couple of days, but not more than that, and preferably with someone else), because there is really no end-goal to it. So the way I see it, camping is out.

As for hiking, I would likely be walking for 24-36h, then sleep for 6-8 and keep going, taking pictures all the time. But the problem with that is that I would - as many have said - have serious problems carrying stuff around. Without a serious distraction and overly high amounts of energy, I should be carrying not more than 20kg, preferably up to 10kg, which is impossible considering I wouldn't be foraging, trapping and hunting. In other words, I could go hiking for a few days only, then I would have to go back to civilization, which means limited range of where I can go and a lot of wasted time coming back before I can explore something else. Unless I missed something or anyone has suggestions, hiking seems to be out as well unfortunately.

Now if we come back to the idea that I had originally, I planned to stock up supplies at a picked spot, bring a tent or a sleeping bag and work there for long hours. Cutting trees, building a house. When I'd run out of supplies, I've had planned to come back and bring some, maybe go twice even for longer period before having to come back. The beauty of this plan was that I would a) have something to do and wouldn't get bored because there is an end-goal to it - build a house, b) I wouldn't waste much time because I would have a big stock of supplies, and c) If I needed a rest, I could take a walk and take pictures or I could write. And after the house is done, I have a place to live for a while and I can walk and take pictures there, I can explore, I can take short hiking trips, and most importantly I can write without distractions. In the meantime I would have also gotten the much-needed time to think and sort everything out.

As I understand this is quite different from what most of you guys are interested in, unfortunately. But I think you can draw conclusions from these 3 descriptions, and I hope to get some feedback/ideas/etc. on this.

Two week solo trip overland, no-resupply (no hunting-trapping-fishing or foraging), bowsaw, big axe plus sharpening gear and say 30ft of heavy duty rope...
Anybody here care to give a ballpark figure for the pack weight and how far they could carry it every day. It may help pull a dream into sharper reality.

Well starting with just your water at 3ltr per day there is 42 kilo (even at 2ltr per day min recommended liquid intake you are talking 28 kilo) it's already heavier than any rucksack i'd wanna carry for a long time, your large axe is easy 2-3 kilo, bowsaw another 1-2 kilo, sleeping kit 2 kilo min (sleeping bag, bivvi and mat), I can't imagine the weight of tinned food for 2 weeks i wouldn't even wanna carry that back from the supermarket, you're gonna want a lot of food and water as building a wood structure is no kind of light labour and carrying all your kit is no easy chore either so we are talking easy 3-4000 kcals per day needed minimum, if it's cold even more.

When out living wild for 2-3 weeks i take around 5-7 kilo of dried food and 1 kilo of that is dried meats like biltong/salted pork or regular beef jerky, this is when i know i am gonna be able to get my hands on plenty of fish and the hope of the odd small game like rabbits, if these aren't a sure thing and i am living on just the food i take then it is easy 10 kilo of dried foods and 3 kilo of that is dried meats (the rest is pasta, rice, muesli, couscous, freeze dried vegetables, stock cubes, fruit jerky, nuts and raisins and other dried fruits) and that is just for 2-3 weeks swanning around a couple of Scottish lochs mid summer taking it easy, i don't carry any water except my most recently filtered litre and my rucksack still easy ends up around 20 kilo as i am not carrying an axe or bowsaw.

For 2 weeks you're gonna want changes of clothing??
Cooking kit?
Possibles??
Personally i'd easy go through a kilo of teabags in 2 weeks :lmao: A kilo of muesli and a kilo min of dried milk to go with both.
Rucksack is gonna be about 2 kilo
However much bogroll for 2 weeks + your toilet kit and washkit??
Knife and medkit?

Am i missing anything? Anyone adding this up?

Suppose you could lighten the load with a titanium spork :p i'm making jokes here but seriously what you are suggesting is no easy feat even to people with a good base of skillsets suitable for the task

Well, I was planning to possibly make a couple of trips, but that definitely is more than I anticipated, as I haven't thought in detail about what I'd have to carry. Though it would be quite a bit less than what you named, I don't even eat so good at home (or sometimes have other necessities), not to mention somewhere where I should be living less 'fancy'. I think my current living arrangements are much worse than those of a 'casual' person. So... take that into account.

Food 12 kg Dry food for 14 days based on Paul Kirtley's excellent blog post here [I'd double the amount of tea and coffe as well :lmao:]
Axe 3 kg
Bowsaw 1 kg being generous ... blade only construct frame for it onsite
Sleep System 2 kg do-able but would require an expensive down bag (my synthetic winter bag plus Gortex bivvy is just under 3kg but only good down to -5C)
Tarp/BASHA 1 kg as you need some cover till a more permanant shelter is ready, can double as hammock

Backpack 3 kg Vulcan III big enough for all the gear.

At this point you're carrying 22kg or just short of 50lbs and will have to learn how to walk all over again.
Then there's this lot...

Knife + multitool
Flashlight + spare batteries
Cordage/Rope
Spare clothing - it's always heavier than you think
Cooking pot(s) + drinking mug
Backup stove (gas/meths/hexi) + Fuel for a couple of days. Optional but often a real lifesaver.
Water bottle(s) 3-4 litres to be carried unless following a stream
Hygiene kit - Crotch rot kills so wash your balls or scratch them off it's your choice.
First aid kit - carrying this much gear you will get blisters
Fire Stating Kit
camera gear - plus charger if it's a digital camera

Hmm. I have walked with ~15kg on my back in a very uncomfortable backpack for about a week, ~2h each day, and I could've went on for an hour or so more. I haven't stopped even for a minute, I was constantly walking in a fast pace, and I only ate a few slices of bread and some butter each day. But yes, it is uncomfortable and 20-25kg would be harder, not to mention a difficult terrain, not asphalt.

Also, why would I need a charger in the forest? There's no electricity. And a charger weights 100g, probably less, at least mine. Also, I don't have any camera gear, just the camera with a 18-55mm lens, I can't afford to buy more. Not that it matters though, just a comment.

When out and about, even in very remote areas, I often see evidence of semi-permanent shelters - they REALLY stick out. So if I'm staying for a while, I adapt/make a hidden shelter, dugout, cave, or tree-house concealed in eg a holly tree - thick foliage & evergreen.

But that's closer to civilization than a day or two walk, right? Or if it isn't, does anybody really care enough to call the government or some other authority to tell them "hey there's a guy who built a small ugly-looking shack and he's living there, I can hear loud typewriter going off from a distance. Come and get him outta the thickness of the forest because he's on your land!" I don't know, it just seems stupid to me. I know there are super-moral people who I'd irk with this, but I don't know. Personally I wouldn't care. I would think that it's really cool that someone built a house there and lives there. I'd wanna go and say hi to the guy, see what kind of personality he has. I don't know, that's just my thoughts on this, would be interested in more realistic/based on what's actually happening feedback.

The member countries of the European Union have differing systems regarding residency, some like Germany are happy for any European citizen to live there for any period of time (presuming they are law abiding and support themselves). Others will require you to seek a residency permit if you plan to remain more than three months, that often entails proving that you can support yourself.

If you attempt to set up camp in a remote area the locals (and there are always locals) won't be happy and will alert the police or rangers. If you look like a homeless person, are in possession of axes and knives and are constructing a shelter on state or private land you will be arrested.

UK prisons aren't much fun but the Prisons further east and north are not places you want to stay.

The legal systems in many of these countries will require you to remain in prison until they can put you in front of a judge, if you are lucky that might be only a few weeks.

Do you speak any other European languages?

As an alternative to your somewhat fanciful notion of carving out a little bit of wilderness for yourself I would suggest seeking out some of the more remote 'off the grid' communities that can be found in Europe, most would be happy to have someone with building skills to lend a hand and quite a few are spread over larger areas so finding and building a quiet space for yourself wouldn't be impossible.

Good luck.

Hmm. What about areas 30-40km away from any city? I doubt there'd be any locals living in the forests.

I do not speak any other European languages. The only useful language that I speak is English.

What kind of communities are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about such, but I'm rather interested. Though if you're talking about remote communities like hippie communes (best example I can give - sorry), I highly doubt that I would fit in. Firstly and most importantly because I'm not a community-oriented person. I'm very private and I'm only interested in being either with a partner or alone, unless it's a job. Then still I don't do all the "brother" thing that most people seem to be into. Being a "part of something" especially if there's some kind of a "leader" is just not in my blood. Anyway, I'm really not sure what kind of communities you're talking about, so I'd be interested to find out more.

Bringing enough stuff into the woods to build even a small house would attract attention, unless you have a friend with a helicopter who can airlift it all in in one go.

From some of your comments it sounds like counselling or meditation might help. It's not chance that humans live together in groups

Some people like groups, some don't. It's not a counseling or meditation thing. Some people just don't like groups, while others even lose the sense of self (or don't have it in the first place) because that's how desperately they want to "belong." As for me, I don't need or even want to belong to something, and for now I just want to get away from here for a while, and eventually I want to permanently move to some other country, which may not necessarily be related to this 'dream'.

It has been suggested to me that my allotment shed may technically fall foul of planning regulations because it is too tall, but it is unlikely that it will ever be discovered even by satellite.
Here in Coventry, there was Mr Tuesday, who lived for many years in Wainbody Woods South, it is now called Mr Tuesday's wood.

Very interesting. Would be curious to find out more about your "arrangement."

Political advancement may smell like following the book. In the real world, these people have elected to
follow a very benign path with a minimalist footprint on the landscape. They are a wholesale embarassment
to the establishment because they demonstrate that it can be done. Not by 10's of thousands, but it can be done.
Relax. Leave them alone. Most times, that seems what they wanted.

I can sneak in there, leave salt, flour, sugar, baking powder, lard and a chocolate treat and be gone faster than Houdini.
They know it was me, I always leave exactly the same things in the same weather- and bear-proof place.
No, I don't need to visit and neither do they.

Yes. We have lots of them. Take a hard look at the BC coast from Knight up past Bute and Toba inlets. Follow the Inside Passage up beyond Prince of Wales Island,
up beyond Haida Gwaii. You won't starve. The real deal is that the landform rises 60 degrees out of the ocean = there is not a flat place to sit.
You can research a few flat-land camps up there but the demand is very high.
Plus, most forestry camps are enormous assemblages of floating log islands, chained together. Schools, house, you name it.
The chainsaw repair people live on barges and they cruise up and down the coast from one camp to another. Weird way to live but they all happy.

Inland where I live, there are spectacular campsites with rushing water mountain creeks. Just show up and do your thing.
23K up the Holmes has flat room for maybe 8-12 families. Beforee the snow flies, of course, the bears, blacks and grizz, are still out.
They will spoil your trip no matter what you think you can do.

So, you do your bushcraft stuff in my back yard. 9' x 12' tent that you can stand in. Electricity. Indoor bathroom. Indoor sleeping in the cold.
I kill as many grouse as possible while we tour the place. Nikon 82mm Prostaff spotting scope to look for goats & sheep.
Roasted breast of Ruffed Grouse with pomegranate and curried pecan stuffing, cinnamon peach glaze.
I don't think you will spit it out.

I find your posts very poetic and strangely pleasant to read.

-

Seems like this forum has a nice community.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...would anybody truly go to the far wilderness, and if they would - would they truly care about some strange guy building a small house?..."

Yes. Yes they would.

"...I don't care if it's legal or not as long as I could get away with it..."

Perhaps not, but BCUK does care, promoting illegal activity is against the forum rules, I would suggest you read them before you make any more posts.

Mar 20, 2015
EU
Perhaps not, but BCUK does care, promoting illegal activity is against the forum rules, I would suggest you read them before you make any more posts.

Since you are a moderator, from your post I presume that you didn't approve of the post I wrote. Perhaps you can remove the part that violates forum rules and post the rest of it? I spent a while writing it.

As for promoting illegal activity, I'm not promoting anything, I'm not telling "go and build illegal shelters" to anybody, I'm not even saying that it's a good (or a bad for that matter) thing, or a smart (or stupid) thing to do. It's my personal opinion that I apply strictly to myself that I expressed. I'm not telling anybody to do anything illegal. It's none of my business what others are doing nor do I have any reason to tell others what to do, nor does anything I wrote sound like I would tell anybody what to do. That's not my intention under pretty much any circumstances, which stretches beyond this forum or online activity.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...As for promoting illegal activity, I'm not promoting anything..."

Simply by stating that you "don't care if it's legal or not" counts as promoting illegal activity. I'd suggest that you take the time to read the forum rules before posting anything else.

Guidance for members:

Abide by the decisions of the moderators, do not argue or challenge them on the forums. If you disagree with a decision contact them or admin via PM and state clearly and politely your concerns and they will be dealt with. An alternative is to use the report post function with an explanation. Anyone being argumentative, rude or a consistent nuisance will be carded or banned.

Forum subject matter

Some subjects should be avoided on bushcraft uk. Firstly any subject that the moderators say is not appropriate should not be discussed...legal systems...members are expected to follow guidance given by moderators and other members that know the ropes.

Mar 20, 2015
EU
Simply by stating that you "don't care if it's legal or not" counts as promoting illegal activity. I'd suggest that you take the time to read the forum rules before posting anything else.

Guidance for members:

Abide by the decisions of the moderators, do not argue or challenge them on the forums. If you disagree with a decision contact them or admin via PM and state clearly and politely your concerns and they will be dealt with. An alternative is to use the report post function with an explanation. Anyone being argumentative, rude or a consistent nuisance will be carded or banned.

Forum subject matter

Some subjects should be avoided on bushcraft uk. Firstly any subject that the moderators say is not appropriate should not be discussed...legal systems...members are expected to follow guidance given by moderators and other members that know the ropes.

I'm not arguing, I'm explaining my state of mind and the intentions that I had by writing what I wrote, since you clearly misunderstood that. And I do not count expressing a personal opinion that is completely unrelated from anybody else's state of mind, nor is designed to influence anybody in any way whatsoever, as promotion; I'm not encouraging it in any way. If it counts, it only counts in your book, and be it as it may, you are a moderator, so you can explain your interpretation and remove that part, instead of removing an entire post that I spent over half an hour writing. My interpretation is clearly different and much more literal/factual than yours is, hence explanation would have been a much nicer way to deal with the issue that in my eyes is still non-existent (and you nor anybody else will convince me otherwise because that is not what "promoting" means); however I will not post my opinion regarding legalities from now on, because you are the judge, hence my interpretation doesn't matter to you.

I'm risking to get banned by posting this, since you - by following your emotions instead of your head - may interpret this as me arguing with the rules or you, even though what I'm doing is explaining that my interpretation is different, which essentially means that I was simply unable to understand the rules in the same way that you understand them.

I take it that you are unable to publish the rest of the post that you have deleted(?) instead of removing the controversial part (one sentence), so if I won't get banned, I'll rewrite the reply. This time - now knowing your interpretation of this particular rule which is clearly different from mine - I will not include my personal opinion regarding legalities that was never designed to promote anything and in my eyes cannot be considered as promoting unless I'm some sort of a leader who is followed by a group of people.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Since you are a moderator, from your post I presume that you didn't approve of the post I wrote. Perhaps you can remove the part that violates forum rules and post the rest of it? I spent a while writing it.

As for promoting illegal activity, I'm not promoting anything,. I'm not telling anybody to do anything illegal. It's none of my business what others are doing nor do I have any reason to tell others what to do, nor does anything I wrote sound like I would tell anybody what to do. That's not my intention under pretty much any circumstances, which stretches beyond this forum or online activity.

Treehugger, i mean treecraft, its not just your posts that promote illegal activity that upset people....( and believe me, they DO promote it.)
WE and I use that term loosly, to encompass all users of this forum.......don't really want to hear a story of some (kid, young adult, dreamer, old guy ) delete as appropriate, that wanders, runs off into the great wild yonder only to have some poor sod discover his bones years later.
By what you write, you are woefully inadequate in skills, and equipment to do what you 'dream' of doing.... I am 52, have been practicing 'bushcraft' most of my life and i still would not want to attempt to do what you 'dream' of doing.

drop it down a gear...accept your limitations, which it is very clear are a lot.....you are hugeley and i mean hugeley underskilled, and under educated to do what you think you can.

Harsh words? I hope so! Do yourself a favour....accept advice. accept it graciously. Death is a one way deal. starvation or illness in the back of beyond is not funny, heroic ...its tragic....its sad....because you didnt HAVE to be there.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
There was ''Fred '' (real name Josef Stawinoga) the Wolverhampton tramp, i used to see him all the time, he lived for 30 years on the central reservation of the ring road, the council let him live there and actually bought him new tents and supplied him with meals on wheels. He became very well known and quite a celebrity even though he had nothing to do with anybody, he appeared on the programme ''Heir Hunters'' after his death as he never claimed benefits or his pension.

He was mentioned recently in a program on Radio 4. As were others that live in similar setups.

When I am out and about, I've often come across a cheapo tent in the woods, where someone is obvious living in there, rather than having a night out. It's usually a 15 quid tent from tesco or similar. I know where they are, and I try to avoid those areas when out bivvying myself. For every 2-3 I see, there are probably another 1 or 2 that I don't see.

I don't have an issue with them doing that, but if someone started building a cabin, I might start to question it.

A 20x10m cabin is *HUGE*. that is enclosing an area of 200 square meters. Make it 2m tall inside, and that's a 400m³ volume. How much wood would you need to burn to heat that sort of space? So aside from the fact you would need to fell some massive trees to build such a cabin, you would then have to clear an even bigger area of the smaller stuff just to heat it.

This brings us onto the next question. Are you intending to build a cabin with 20m long walls with timber you've carried yourself? How big a log do you think you can hump through the woods? In my line of work I lift a lot of 51kg casks, and am happy carrying a 35kg keg in each hand. But, on a recent coppicing trip, it took two of us to carry a length of chestnut measuring 1' diameter by about 6' long. Now think about trying to build a cabin and how much timber that will require, how big it will be and how you will move it.

A more realistic idea might be a 3m x 3.6m cabin. That is just 10.8m² in area, and only 21.6m³ in volume. The timber requirements are also a lot lower, both to build, and to heat.

And that's before you have the issue of food, water, clothing, and the weight of carrying it all any distance...

and forgetting the legal issues.

Nice idea, but I think you'll find it impractical.

Julia

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This brings us onto the next question. Are you intending to build a cabin with 20m long walls with timber you've carried yourself?..........on a recent coppicing trip, it took two of us to carry a length of chestnut measuring 1' diameter by about 6' long. Now think about trying to build a cabin and how much timber that will require, how big it will be and how you will move it.....

Normal sized building logs are a bit smaller in diameter than a foot. The usual size is about 8" for commercial ones (a but more imprecise for self built ones)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Normal sized building logs are a bit smaller in diameter than a foot. The usual size is about 8" for commercial ones (a but more imprecise for self built ones)

That's about the diameter of a telegraph pole and I doubt anyone on the forum would be able to shift one of those on their own

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

It's a quiet Sunday afternoon, and I like Maths. So let's throw some maths at the problem.

Density for Norway spruce is approx 0.43t per m³. So, a 200mm diameter log of 1m length has a weight of:

((pi x 0.1 x 0.1) x 1) 0.43 = 0.0135t aka 13.5kg per linear meter. So a 10m length for one wall would be 135kg...

To make the wall 2m high, you would thus need 10 pieces of such wood. Making a 10m wall, 2m high, built from 200mm diameter logs would involve shifting 1.35 tons of wood... a full 10m x 20m cabin (ignoring roof, any internal walls, and the floor...) would come in at 1.35t x 6 = 8.1 tons. Give or take...

This is of course all purely academic and has nothing to do with any legal aspects of the idea. It's a nice thought experiment.

On a related note, if you fancy working out what this would be in Oak or Chestnut, then replace the 0.43t m³ with 0.74m³ and 0.56t m³ respectively...

Idly wondering how many trees that would be, making the assumption that each tree has 10m of usable trunk that is all 200mm diameter[1], to make a 10m x 20m cabin 2m tall, you would need 60 trees...

With one tree every 5m, and them all distributed evenly[2]... Those 60 trees would be 1500 square meters of land... ish. But then this is into the rolling of dice area of maths, as unless they are planted in a regular plantation form (meaning they are a crop and no wild and you *REALLY* *SHOULD* *NOT* cut them down, that's someone's crop), they will be more irregularly spread out than that, and for every tree suitable there is likely to be 2-3 that are not suitable...

Ok, enough maths, you get the idea. Back to the drawing board...

Julia

PS, either my maths is wrong, or Norway Spruce is considerably less dense than I thought it was.

[1]Yes that's a hell of an assumption, but it makes the maths easy and this is no exam paper, just a thought experiment.
[2]Sssh, I'm just making up numbers now, maths is fun remember...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh ****. I've just realised the wood density numbers I used in that post are for seasoned timber. So assume everything is even heavier than that. I don't have the numbers for weight lost to moisture over time anywhere handy, so I can't quite calculate it. Suffice it to say, it's all very heavy.

I think I need a cup of tea, don't let me near the maths again...

J

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
The OP indicated "10-20 square meters" as opposed to 10 x 20 metres.

Certainly more do-able, but still requires a fair bit of timber to construct.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh ****. I've just realised the wood density numbers I used in that post are for seasoned timber. So assume everything is even heavier than that. I don't have the numbers for weight lost to moisture over time anywhere handy, so I can't quite calculate it. Suffice it to say, it's all very heavy.

I think I need a cup of tea, don't let me near the maths again...

J

I'll put the kettle on :D
That was a brilliant reply Julia :cool:

M

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
He was mentioned recently in a program on Radio 4. As were others that live in similar setups.

There was also ''Tea Cosy Pete'' from Swansea who was homeless for decades (real name Brian Burford), he received public attention when he found a wallet containing £300 and walked 12 miles from Swansea to Gower to return it to the owner, not one penny was missing when he returned the wallet and he refused any reward from the owner. He never asked anyone for money and never bothered anybody. Hundreds attended his funeral.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-31628435

9405227-large.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Designs for log buildings abound in North America. The evidence of a "log cabin" will be the illegal/unlicenced log harvesting and all the slash and mess you leave behind.
Silent logging is impossible. You'll spend some time in the shade.
OTOH, there's an extraordinary pride in craftsmanship when it comes time to build a serious log home. You are going to need an entire orchard of money-trees.

These guys build all over the world. Build at their place, dismantle and pack/ship, reassemble on site.
http://www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com/

Maurice is the go-to tool guy, check out the shack at the top of his home page.

http://www.logbuildingtools.ca/contact.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE