Living in the past ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
When i was kid i remember a TV series about primitive living.
I think it was called "living in the past"
From what i remember a group of people started out with tents ,camping stoves etc. ,etc. and slowly regressed to living in hut's ,making their own clothing ,growing crops and slaughtering their own animals and so on.
I can remember bit's about making clay pot's ,manufacturing cloth's and tools ,butchering a pig ,and it was all good stuff.
Problem is i haven't been able to find out anything more about it.
I think it was back in the day's when TV's only had 3 stations :roll: so i guess it was late 70's or early 80's.
Does anyone remember it or know any more about it?
It is my earliest memory of anything bushcrafty and i'd love to find out more about it.

rb

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I know there was an Iron Age settlement programme on not that long ago - the BBC revisited a site that had been used for the same project about 20 years previously. What I read of the newer one made it sound more like Big Brother than anything else... I was primarily interested in the iron smelting, but that was skimmed over in the book. The leadership battles didn't interest.

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
I remember the iron age settlement thing because the only one willing to kill the pig (I think it was) was the vegetarian! But can't remember a series earlier than that... :?:

jakunen

Native
I don't remember the series either. Jack Hargreaves was my first tasts of anything other than hillwalking.

As for the settlement, Gareth the Baker, is a fantastic guy. His books are great, if a little twisted in his humour...I pity his poor apprentice!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
RB.I also remember the series your on about,if i remember correctly i think they had to live like that for a year,was,nt it two or three families that did it.I also have some recollection that one of the women became pregnant and wanted to have her baby in camp as they were to be totally self sufficient.

Was the whole thing not based on an Iron or Bronze age camp.

The camp itself was built somewhere in England.

I remember the last programme when they all had to return back to their normal lives and they were gutted.

Does that sound like the same thing?

This is about as much as i can remember but it might jog someone else,s memory.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
It sounds like it ,i really remember very little about it as was only 8 or 9 at the time but i always remembered it and it started my interest in "primative technology".

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Kim, I also liked to see the few episodes that we got here about the Iron age settlement, and you are right on about the vegetarian fellow he was by far the best in mind and body to live in that era. He would have crossed over without a hitch.
just a thought

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Was that the program where they all ened up with food poisoning because they couldn't see the chicken was not cooked properly?

Greg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
JFW said:
Yea I remember that programme, it was great TV at the time.

I have found a couple of links commenting on the original programme and a remake with some of the children of the original cast.

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/id/583427/
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?thold=-1&mode=flat&order=0&sid=2146410330

Cheers

JFW

That's great ,i was begining to think i had imagined it!
I had my date's mixed up a little ,it was in 1978 so i was 6 :yikes:
I have always remembered that programme and consider it a big influence on my interest in a simple and primative way of life.
Many thansk JFW

rb

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Rapidboy,

yes it had a big influence on me in my childhood along with Noggin the Nog and John Grant's Littlenose Books.
Another great programme was The Survivors - some virus wiped out half the world population and a small community established itself in remote Yorkshire?

Cheers

JFW

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I remember it well, fine series. My folks were going through their "The Good Life" stage so I was living in the country surrounded by livestock and I could really relate to the kids. I can't believe I was eight at the time, seems like only yesterday....hohum

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE