Little Slocan Lakes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
Its been about a month since i ran away from work one day with my kayak and stove and headed into the little Slocan Valley. I actually live at the far end of the valley so i'm a 10 min walk from the bush but on this day i wanted to paddle. I was heading to Slocan lake which is a bigger lake but the wind was quite strong so i changed plans and headed to Little Slocan Lake. It was a warm day and i got to the launch in the early afternoon.
IMG_0001.jpg

My plan was to head up the upper reaches of the Little Slocan River as far as i could and then come back down and tour the lake.
Looking northish to the mouth of the river,,,eerrr somewhere over there.
IMG_0003.jpg

As i got a little ways up the river i hit a beaver dam so i had to get out over to the right and drag the kayak over the dam and then hop back in and keep going.
IMG_0004-1.jpg

I ran into about 6 other dams on my way up river but that was the only one i had to actually get out and back in.
This is prime bear habitat. Just one big salad bar. So i was paying attention to a few things so as not to surprize anyone including myself. The river gets real narrow in places upping my concern.
IMG_0005.jpg

After a while i couldn't get any farther up as it was getting too shallow so i stopped and had lunch on a sand bar and headed back down to the lake. There were Choke cherries all over.
IMG_0008.jpg

and some nice views on the way down
IMG_0010.jpg

Once out on the lake the sun was illuminating everything.
IMG_0015.jpg

All that grass you see growing use to be harvested 80 yrs ago by one of the two homesteading families back here. They would horse draw a barge loading 10 tons off grass .This would be for the cows for winter.
Now i had my camera on the wrong setting as it turns out so every time i faced towards the sun thing got a little weird ,,but made for some interesting shots nevertheless.
IMG_0017.jpg

If you go straight to those mnts in the distance and turn left , go about another 12km you'll be at my place.

IMG_0020.jpg

More scenery
IMG_0021.jpg

It was getting on in the afternoon and decide not to go down the river towards the other lakes and just pulled int o a small bay at the south end for some tea.
IMG_0022.jpg

Relaxing with my trusty bush Buddy boiling up some water.
IMG_0023.jpg

Then the entertainment started. This little fella swam by towards its den which was over to my left.
IMG_0024.jpg

He couldn't make up his mind and swam out and then back again
IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

Shows over and i pack up and head back to the upper part of the lake to launch. It doesn't take long but the end of the day is coming.
One last look up the north end.
IMG_0031.jpg

The end to a very nice day ,,,away from work and everything else.
IMG_0030.jpg

enjoy
bill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE