Little Challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
So as part of my engineering degree I've been learning about Boothroyd Analysis- a process for assessing the time to assemble something, calculate the efficiency of the assembly, and improve the design for better assembly.
Anyway for a piece of coursework I chose to analyse my 4D Maglite.

Treating the internal lamp/switch unit as a single component, but taking everything else apart (including O-rings), the analysis says it should take an average 126 seconds to assemble from scratch.
I did it myself to check how reasonable my numbers were and came out with 112 seconds (that's close enough for the purpose of the exercise), but I think I can do better!

SO taking it as a challenge, I can now rebuild my Maglite in 58 seconds.
And now I pass the challenge on- lets hear your times!

Also I'd be interested in how efficient (in terms of the way its made) everyone thinks a Maglite is!

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting challenge. As to Maglite efficiency, unless it's passed through the hands of Maglite modder, Essexman, they're hopelessly outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE