Trouser Challenge!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I am looking for a pair of trousers with a fairly high waist, so that my hips don't get grated when wearing a big pack hip belt. They also need to have at least one decent-sized thigh pocket and be made of a fabric that dries quickly, isn't too heavy but is reasonably durable. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

This request comes from a recent trundle up the Cape Wrath Trail. During the trip, I used a pair of Fjallraven trousers - I can't remember which model; Barents Pro? - and a pair of Paramo Maui ones. The Fjallraven ones were quick-drying and had superb pockets but gave my waist and hips a hard time, through the waist seam and belt loops; the Paramo ones felt better on the hips but were rather too voluminous around the waist - something I couldn't avoid in order to get the right leg length! So there's another challenge: to find a pair that fit around the waist and down the leg!

Many thanks for any viable, readily available suggestions.

Richard

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
British army lightweight trousers, high waist, thigh pocket on the older ones, quick drying, cheap and available in hundreds of leg/waist/seat options.

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
The regular Barents (non pro) have a high waist, but today I bought a pair of decathlon steppe 300 which I haven't had chance to try yet but they have a pretty high waist, zipped thigh pockets, feel like they will dry quick and only cost 20 quid

Last edited:

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Tiley,

Like yourself I'm not keen on a low waist band and a shirt riding up my back, especially during the inclement months.

I've been using the FJ Barents for about 7 years now as they have the factors you have mentioned plus more. (although they are expensive I use them three times per week so over time I think that they are worth it).

Notably they are advertised as 'high waist' but I too have found that not to be the case for myself - I pulled them up to my waist and strangled my gonads! (I have come across this 'phenomenon' many times in UK-v-European mil surplus clothing sizing).

Liking the FJ trousers as I do I have added (among other things) extra waist bands canibalised from mil surplus trousers (and from an old pair of Craghoppers) and they work fine.

Barents 2.jpg Barents 1.jpg

In the first image shown I added the extra waist band above the original (plus loops for a 2 inch-plus belt).
In the second image shown I added the extra waist band below the original and kept the original belt loops.

It's a relatively easy alteration - a bit of unpicking, attaching and either hand or machine sewing back up. I bet a seamstress wouldn't charge much.

And if you really want to sort the issue, how about transferring over the already extended rear (with braces) from a pair of alpine trousers as per the image below and you get a waterproof seat into the bargain!. :)

Barents 3.jpg Barents 4.jpg

Attachments

• Barents 3.jpg
    Barents 3.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Barents 4.jpg
    Barents 4.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 16

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I like the look of the Varusteleka offerings and might give them a punt. I also like the possibility of modifying the Fjallraven beasts I have already; fortunately, I have a very good, tame seamstress locally. The 5.11 ones are of interest but they always seem to overdo the pockets. Yes, I need pockets but never quite so many; it is this issue that makes a question mark hover over them. Ideally, I should have a look at a pair before making any firm decision one way or t'other.

But, again, many thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up,

I would agree with Wildgoose and MikeLA that Brit Army Denims are high waist compared to many others, its a shame that you can't get them in that nice olive drab and tarmac colour that the FJ Barents come in - I've always found the light olive a bit too bright.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The only high waist I know are the British army lightweights

I'd thought about those and, in the distant past, had a pair which I wore to destruction. My only qualm about them are the button down belt loops they had - definitely not something I want under my pack hip belt. I'll have another look at them and see if I can (a) find a size that will fit me and (b) sort out the belt loop conundrum...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
https://www.fortisclothing.co.uk/shop/waterproof-falkland-trousers/

These probably suit your need better than anything else, they can make them with our without leg pockets, they are high waisted, the ripstop nylon fabric is pretty bombproof, you can even upgrade to cordura leg protectors, the list of possibilities is endless, plus they are really comfortable the way the waist draws together.

They certainly do tick a good number of boxes. I like the choice of leg length, colour and quantity and positioning of thigh cargo pockets but I pause over the 'add to cart' button because I do not like the waist adjustment buckles on the sides. Historically, I have found that these never really work and, of course, they would get in the way of the blasted rucksack hip belt. I think that being waterproof is also a bit of a draw back for me; I'm after something light(-ish) and breathable, as I run hot when thundering through the wilds. If it starts chucking it down, I can always fling on a pair of waterproof overtrousers, a cause for another quest! Other than that, they do look to be a possibility, so I'll add them to the 'further investigation' list. Thanks for the recommendation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE