Links in my threads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was just reading through an old trip report and noticed a lot of the items in my kit list now have links to retailers, is this some kind of forum thing going on as I don't recall doing it myself.

I wouldn't care but most of the links are wrong anyway, any ideas mods? If there is some stupid advertising thing going on with the forum can it at least get the links right?

I've just tried to edit the post below and all the options have been removed. I was going to remove the hyperlinks but I'm not able to do that.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87285

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah I was just reading the post that Pandabean started, it's a bit offside isn't it?

The fact that I can't edit the post now is a bit daft, linking adverts to my posts is not really on either.

So now everybody thinks I wear womens Paclite trews

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I was just reading through an old trip report and noticed a lot of the items in my kit list now have links to retailers, is this some kind of forum thing going on as I don't recall doing it myself.

I wouldn't care but most of the links are wrong anyway, any ideas mods? If there is some stupid advertising thing going on with the forum can it at least get the links right?

I've just tried to edit the post below and all the options have been removed. I was going to remove the hyperlinks but I'm not able to do that.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87285

Are you logged out? I think only non members and members who have not logged can see the advert links.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No, on the office PC at work, running IE 7

I usually access the forum at home with Chrome running adblocker, I wonder if that's why I've not seen it before.

Defo logged in though

Try logging out and then in again.

I have just tried three browsers, all show the skimlinks when I'm logged out, but not when I'm logged in.

I don't have flash installed which may not stop the skimlinks but I do not have to see the annoying animated adverts on the side.

:)

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try logging out and then in again.

I have just tried three browsers, all show the adwords when I'm logged out, but not when I'm logged in.

I don't have flash installed which may not stop the adwords but I do not have to see the annoying animated adverts on the side.

:)

Still happening when I log back in

I'll try it at home tonight and see how it goes

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Happening for me too.

Thats naff.

Agreed, offside play. If I wanted to link to a product, I would.

How far will this go? I can see a situation where I hypertext linked to a product from a good seller like Endicotts, and it was then Hijacked by one of the big boys. Hypothetically, it could be Surplus and Adventure!

Surely, if our material is being used for advertising, we are owed commission? (as a site)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I am guessing but u would think that a clicked link may esrn pennies towards the running of the site?

Maybe mate.

I have no issue at all with this site earning money, it deserves every penny. I honestly think if this is the case though, its starting to tread a fine line. I'd rather pay more subs than haver my material linked to a vendor that I really don't want to advertise.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Some interesting comments guys, thanks for sharing.

The links are through skimlinks and generally they're viewable to non members of the site, FM's should not see them, there's a number of adverts that run on the site that the FM's don't see. I'll have a look at the settings.

I appreciate the offer of more subs to stop the need for any of my 'off side' antics, you're probably in the vast minority though so we look at other ways of generating some income for the site. You guys are FM's so I'm interested in what you think, although I might take this thread to the FM to carry it on.

Shewie I don't think anyone seriously thinks you wear womens Paclite trews :D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Shewie I don't think anyone seriously thinks you wear womens Paclite trews :D

That's easy for you to say :)

Back home now, just cranked up the home PC running Chrome and there's no skimlinks in the thread above. Strange how I got them at work even thought I was logged in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE