Lining a bush shirt?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Hi I have just finished making my second bush shirt but the wool fabric is bloody itchy so I want to line it, I have had a google but could not find any clear instructions. Could some one please point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Chris

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Santaman makes a good point. You might line certain areas like the back of the neck with soft merino wool. You still have the advantage of a wool short, but it will be less itchy in those areas.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I do make lined ones Ozzy, but I line them as I go.

Think about where it actually scratches you…..the usual places are the neckline, around the face with the hood, cuffs and forearms.
If those are the only itchy places, then find something (I'm presuming that you've used wool for the shirt and would prefer wool or linen as a lining) suitable and cut matching pieces from the pattern. Just slip stitch those inside the shirt where it itches.

If you have a look at your shirt, guestimate a rough amount of fabric, and a colour range, then I'll have a rake through the remnant boxes and see if there's something there that might do.
I know I have linen, but wool flannel is either in a big enough piece to be used to line an entire shirt, or kind of smallish pieces now since my last clear out.

If nothing I've suggested suits, away to the local charity shop and buy a fine wool pullover and cut that up to line the scratchy pieces. It shouldn't cost much I wouldn't think.

M

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Thanks for the offer Mary, I ended up fully lining it in poly cotton, with a bit of fleece for the collar ( looks like I skinned Kermit for it though). It was a swine to do but has made it in to a very comfy thing indeed

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Well done with lining it. I always find it a bit of a head-scrambler when it comes to turning it all out.

Can't say I've ever seen a woolly frog, must be a Suffolk thing.

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Chriss aka Ozzy1977, in the other thread about the bushshirt blueprints passing around you don't respond and as well not to any pm's.
Would you mind passing your copy of the L size further so we can also make ours ?
Many are waiting for the L size.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
you can see the colour of the collar here, I am really pleased with how it came out considering its only the second thing I have sewn before, and on a 99 year old machine

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a meaty big motor on your one - a hell of a lot more power than the normal domestic jobby, great score, that :)

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Lining a shirt/jacket
An idea that may help
Buy at charity shop or use an old soft shirt that fits you and put on under your item to be lined.
Have your partner/wife /hubby tack it in place and then it can be sewn in place.
Did this on a fleece jacket that was not warm enough on a windy day and it worked well
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE