Linguistics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I think there's a mistake thinking that it's only called bushcraft because Ray Mears called it that, he made the term more recognised but he's not the first or the only one to use it in many parts of the world.

That's the problem - it's foreign. We don't have "the bush" in Europe, we have the woods, moors etc.

I'm reading "The Confessions of a Poacher", written in 1890.

Here's the very first paragraph:
I do not remember the time when I was not a poacher; and if I may say so, I believe our family has always had a genius for woodcraft.

and he's not talking about carpentry;)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I think Harryhaller is correct. "Bush" or "Bushcraft" is "foreign sounding" here in America as well. We all know what the "bush" is but the term is regarded as an Australianism. As Harryhaller says we have "forests," "woods," etc. but no "bush."

Offered up for your consideration: "woods lore.''

in the late 1800s up until probably around the turn of the century, variations of this term were used here in America to describe the body of knowledge that had grown up around living/camping/surviving/making things in the woods.

I have seen it in various forms such as "woods lore," "wood lore," "woodslore" and "woodlore"

If you look up the word "lore" you will discover that it has just the right meaning:

I like the term "woodcraft" but as Harryhaller has suggested it has been hijacked by the carpenters and woodworkers.

Of course this whole discussion is purely academic because there is no way in hell that "bushcraft" is every going to evolve into "woodcraft" or "woods lore" or anything else for that matter. Its too entrenched. (and the Aussies only smile!)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I remember doing the backwoodsman badge in scouts a long time ago. Of course, nowadays that would have to be the backwoodspersons badge.

On the basis of the tasks needed to get the badge, I think that would make bushcrafters - backwoodspeople. :confused:

We could have a band, kind of like the village people but with more DPM.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We could be the Jeremiah Johnson's Journeymen or the Grizzly Adams Appreciation Society ( GAAS for short, as we never seem short of it :) )
GB.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I remember doing the backwoodsman badge in scouts a long time ago. Of course, nowadays that would have to be the backwoodspersons badge.

On the basis of the tasks needed to get the badge, I think that would make bushcrafters - backwoodspeople. :confused:

We could have a band, kind of like the village people but with more DPM.

Trouble is, 'Backwoods' is a little too close to 'Backwards' for my liking. We could form a band where everyone forgets the lyrics and can't really play their instruments.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Trouble is, 'Backwoods' is a little too close to 'Backwards' for my liking. We could form a band where everyone forgets the lyrics and can't really play their instruments.

You mean a boyband?:lmao:

I think some of us are a bit old for that (me for one)

(I'm back)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE