Limpets, Razor fish and mussels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
with the mussels i picked in cornwall this year, all i did was put some water (about a pint)in a large sausepan. add lemon juice,clove of garlic, good slosh of wine salt and pepper. brought it to the boil and added the mussels. gave them a stir then put the lid on and let them boil/steem for 30 mins give or take. while they cooked got some nice crusty bread to dip in the sauce. once cooked i discarded the ones that hadnt opened, pored the rest in to a dish including the liquide they cooked in and gobbled them down. they tasted great, this was the first time i had actualy picked mussels from the seashore.

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I regularly eat mussels. Mainly from morrisons but I also coolect them from hunstanton beach. I have tried many, many recipes. I have found the best flavour comes from:

Raw. Yes I have eaten them raw. I saw a program where rick stein did it. They taste great raw with a rich flavour of the sea.

Barbeque'd - The smoke infuses but doesn't detract from the taste.

I have made complicated dishes with many ingredients such as:
White wine, fennel, celary, cream and other veg/herbs - really over complicated and mainly hides the flavour.

Tomatoe sauce normally used for pasta dishes. Again hides the flavour.

Black bean sauce - this is pretty good. Few chinese restaurants can do this well as its often over cooked or the mussels were frozen.

They take only a couple of minutes to cook and seconds to turn from cooked to rubbery so full attention needed here. I have found to cook them well consistently is to quickly steam them in a large pan with 1cm or more of water in the base. Then add them to any sauce or prep further.

I find simple and quick cooking tends to taste the best for most things.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Grated fresh ginger, a little fresh or crushed chilli, chopped garlic - fried in a little oil till just about to brown (but don't burn) then add all the shellfish you can gather (properly checked to make sure there are no dead ones etc.) and fry for just a couple of minutes - serve with noodles (even instant ones are fine when camping) and a glass of dry white wine (OK may be not backbacking with wine!).

You can use razor clams as above (I assume that's what you mean) but I like them just roasted over embers for a few seconds then dusted with black pepper or dipped in a sweet chilli sauce.

Limpets are tough but very nutritious.

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE