Lime on Lime bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dugs

May 28, 2016
North west
Has anybody had any success with this combination? I'm struggling with it.

What other combinations do people find work well?

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Lime is generally considered one of the easier woods to get an ember with. The lime should be almost yellow in colour to achieve the best results. Post a picture of your set and the dust your producing.

Other woods commonly used are Western Red Cedar, Hazel, Sallow, White Willow, Elder not an exhaustive list by any means. Remember to start slow maximise the friction at the hearth end of the spindle and minimise the friction with the bearing block. Long slow strokes with the bow applying firm downward pressure should achieve lots of thick smoke and black dust forming around the edge of your spindle. Once you have a good thick dark smoke slowly build up your speed and increase the down force until you have a nice big self sustaining ember. Fire by friction is more about good technique and choosing a piece of wood with fire in it. make sure you can mark the spindle and hearth with your thumb nail. it should leave a mark with light pressure. Too soft and your spindle with collapse and wear too quickly. Too hard and the base of the spindle will polish and become a frictionless surface.

Dugs

May 28, 2016
North west
Cheers,

That's what I thought. I've had success with a lime hearthboard before and a willow drill I think. I'm getting plenty of smoke and plenty of dust but no coal.

20161007_193359.jpg

It seems my image isnt posting the link is https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb4qdy75q314kru/20161007_193359.jpg?dl=0

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Looking at the notch in your hearth it could be a little neater. Also is the base of the board flat? Any rocking of the hearth with your notch could prevent your coal from forming.

The colour looks right so I think you're getting the set hot enough. My advice would be focus on your technique above all else. Focus on being as smooth as possible keeping the hearth and spindle as stable as you can. Keep with it and you will get there.

Please post a pic when you get your ember. :)

Dugs

May 28, 2016
North west
Thanks for the help. Flattened off the hearth board a bit and got an ember first time. Also ended up using a longer drill. All in the rain ironically.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE