Lime Bowl

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Following various conversations on here about Lime wood and the lack of it in my part of the world, there is some, but i only planted them as whips a fews years back, so i have to wait a bit until they are big enough to be of use.

Long story short, I received an offer of some Lime from Harvestman (cheers mate) with a couple of conditions attached to it, 1 - he needed my address and 2 - i had to post up on here what i made from it, i agreed and so earlier this week, i received this in the post.

DSCN2297abw.jpg

So today i made a start on my part of the bargain and came up with this

DSCN2346bw.jpg

I drew out the rough shape of a bowl and got carving, i used a gouge for most of the carving on this particular project rather than my adze as the piece i Lime i have is a limited resource and i wanted to make sure i didn't stuff it up with a wayward swing of the adze.

DSCN2336bw.jpg

DSCN2339bw.jpg

The Lime was wonderful to carve and in pretty short order i ended up with the bowl pictured, to finish it off, i sanded down the exterior of the bowl, but left the inside of the bowl with tool marks, the best of both worlds i figured, it's also a look i quite like and in the case of this bowl, it just seemed right, to finish the bowl off, i oiled it with a liberal coat of Walnut oil.

DSCN2329bw.jpg

Big thanks go to Harvestman for sending me the wood, it's incredible stuff and i cant wait now fo rthe saplings i planted up the lakes to grow big enough to allow me to harvest them - Now what to make with the other half ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Think that's the first lime bowl I've came across, very nice.

As an aside, am I right in thinking Line,as in cordage, came from the Lime tree?

Lovely wee young leaves in the Spring for chewing.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think that's the first lime bowl I've came across, very nice.

As an aside, am I right in thinking Line, as in cordage, came from the Lime tree?

Lovely wee young leaves in the Spring for chewing.

Thanks mate

Yep, lime as in cordage from the lime tree, i do like the leaves to munch on in the sring as well, lovely they are, it's about the only thing the Limes i planted are good for at the moment, but in the future, i should have a superb resource for carving timber.:)

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Very nice piece of work Kepis, and those black and white images with the colour bowl and whittling knife really do make you focus on the object in question. Did someone get photoshop for Christmas? LOL!

Lovely bowl mate, big thumbs up to Harvestman for sending it to you in it's raw state.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very nice piece of work Kepis, and those black and white images with the colour bowl and whittling knife really do make you focus on the object in question. Did someone get photoshop for Christmas? LOL!

Lovely bowl mate, big thumbs up to Harvestman for sending it to you in it's raw state.

Cheers Biker, nah ive had PS for a while now, i dont use it to it's full potential though

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Cheers Biker, nah ive had PS for a while now, i dont use it to it's full potential though

Who does? I've been playing with it for a few years now and only scratched the surface. Got a couple of books on it too. But learning by trial and error can be just as fun. Anyway, like I said, lovely work mate. Real top notch stuff.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Gorgeous little bowl that. Nice little Ben Orford knife too :)

What thickness was the peice of lime and what diameter is the bowl?

Cheers Craeg

The wood was about 1 3/4" thick the diameter of the bowl is 4 1/4" inches, lthe bowl width was dictated by the width of the piece of timber Harvestman kindly sent me, which was 4 1/2" in width

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE