Like...

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
You know sometimes on this forum I'd just like to press a like button ie Facebook.... I know it's lazy but I read and skim a lot of topics and quite often would like to show my appreciation of a subject in less than 10 characters..
That is all...d

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lets not go the Basefook route.

I'm with Mr Kelly and lots of others (last time it was discussed). One of the things that set BCUK head and shoulders above the other boards is the community discussion fostered by the fact that folks do actually talk on the threads rather than columns of semi desolate rectangles populated by a solitary "LIKE". Remember in the words of Bob Hoskins and BT "It's good to talk".

TTFN,
GB.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm with Mr Kelly and lots of others (last time it was discussed). One of the things that set BCUK head and shoulders above the other boards is the community discussion fostered by the fact that folks do actually talk on the threads rather than columns of semi desolate rectangles populated by a solitary "LIKE". Remember in the words of Bob Hoskins and BT "It's good to talk".

TTFN,
GB.

Swallow and 203 others like this post.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I like it too, I love open discussion, but I just fear a LIKE button could be negative to the flow of erudite discussion that sets BCUK apart from other forums.:) Have you been on some of the desolate boards? It's one of the reasons this one is the best by far.

ATB,
GB.

P.S. There is a rate this thread tool above the second solid blue line across the screen.
Rate This Thread

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Goatboy. It was your post I liked. The rest comes from an uncontrollable part of my brain that thinks it's funny and thinks it's good at irony.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
If anybody takes the time and effort to write something and post it here, I feel the least I can, and want, to do is make the effort to respond with a minimum of ten characters - how long does it take to write a few thoughts
and/or comments?

If there was a "like" button on this forum I'd have to seriously rethink my membership of it. As has been said above intelligent and informative discussion and debate would seem to me to be the point of it...atb mac

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I have to say once I considered it seriously, my first thought was the same as macs, would I keep my subscription? Like buttons have a function on FB but keeping the IQ of the conversation up isn't one of them.

I have been in the same position I think the OP is describing though, wanting to acknowledge a post but not wanting to clutter up the conversation with something short and trite.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
It's a perfectly valid and common reaction to a thread or a post for me to agree with something or have an empathy with it, but if it's not a strong enough reaction to make me want to post my own thoughts then I say nothing - it's not required or neccessary; the lack of my or anyone else's acknowledgement is meaningless, as far as I can see...............just my tuppence worth.....................atb mac

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hadn't ever been a member of a forum before I joined BcUK.
The members back then had to teach me things like internet protocol :eek: and explaining just how very open the forum posts were.
I know what Tommy the Cat means, but I can't see anyway we could fit it in without it becoming the very lazy option :dunno: and I do like the way the threads on this site are definitely conversations, with all that that entails :D
Mac and the others are right too though, and I really like the way that when I have actually met someone from here that I can afterwards 'hear' their voice in the words they write :D I can fit the expressions of their face into the 'conversation' too :) subtle nuances become part and parcel of the text.

Sorry T the C, you'll just need to chime in occasionally, let us know you're alive :D

atb,
Mary

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I hate the face book like thing , just a lazy way to rank up in my opinion...

its nice to know that some one take more of a part in the forum then just liking things,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE