Lightweight rucksacks? (drypacks & golite?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Well,

I came across these portage style dry packs and was wondering if they'd make a decent backpacking rucksack, too? The first one I found was the Exped WB40 which is a kilo and a bii lighter than my current bag. But 40 litres is a bit small. Their 2011 versions are renamed the Torrent and have a 50 litre which is a bit more reasonable. But no weight listings so I've emailed them.

Or should I go with the classic GoLite Jam or Pinacle ?

I really like the idea of a drybag rucksack as it'd save me individually bagging my sleeping bag, UQ, hammock, clothes, and worrying about my journal and phone. Instead I'd just have to drybag my tarp to keep it seperate from the other things. They're midway in weight between lightweight bags and normal bags, and reasonably cheap, too.

But 50 litres ain't THAT much, I tried looking for slightly bigger ones but can't turn up any with a proper meshback/suspension/hippad apart from the Highlander Poseiden but 1.59kg is a bit on the heavy side. I don't need a full on heavy duty rig as my base weight (excluding a rucksack) is only 7.5kg but theres nothing worse than a sweaty back when walking...

ATM the pinnacle is the one I think I'll get. But I'm wondering how well it'll carry with a smaller load - can you roll the roll top down 1/4 or 1/3 of the way?

I'm going from a 65l total bag, so can anyone recommend a lightweight rucksack around 55-65l litres that doesn't look silly (I like the low-key slate grey golite) and isn't going to break the bank (not too far past £100) ?

Last edited:
You want a pack that is light, large, has a good suspension system, is the right colour, is totally waterproof. Oh and it can't be too expensive.

Come on.

You have a six sided shape and trying to keep all those sides equidistant is going to be really, really hard if not impossible. Something has to give. You can have a few of those things and not some of the others.

My recommendation for at least 4 of your requirements?

http://www.kifaru.net/KU.html

I don't want to hear bitching about the price.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I'd buy a Kifaru KU3700 in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

And yeah colour is important LOL. Always hated those neon coloured rucksacks. Any colour as long as it's muted or a primary colour IMO.

Ste, the fabric is water resistant but the seams aren't sealed so no it's not waterproof.

Found the Pinnacle on amazon for £98 with free shipping. Quite annoyed actually as I found the womans version for £60 but the store didn't have the same deal for the mens version :( A bit more google-fu to see if theres anything else similar and then I think I'll order.

No.

Unless it is made of a Sealine like material with taped or frequency welded seams, no, it is not waterproof. Any sewn pack will let water in somehow. If it is Cordura it will eventually let water in through the material. It will get in through the seams. It will get in through zippers. Water will get into your pack.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Buggerit, found another review and this photo pushed me over the edge so I placed an order.. Amazon one-click ordering is actually kinda scary..

url]

If the top cinchs down that far I should have no trouble using it over the summer months.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
I'd buy a Kifaru KU3700 in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

And yeah colour is important LOL. Always hated those neon coloured rucksacks. Any colour as long as it's muted or a primary colour IMO.

Ste, the fabric is water resistant but the seams aren't sealed so no it's not waterproof.

Found the Pinnacle on amazon for £98 with free shipping. Quite annoyed actually as I found the womans version for £60 but the store didn't have the same deal for the mens version :( A bit more google-fu to see if theres anything else similar and then I think I'll order.

Im looking to, let me know if you find anything of interest

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
im currently looking at the karrimore sabre 75 ltr and the 60-100ltr, the pinacle really dosn't look very comfy as there really isnt much padding, i believe this is why it is so lightweight.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
If your looking for really light weight kit have a look at Mountain Laurel Designs Good stuff and super light

Jason

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
HB, have you looked at the Gossamer gear packs? I spent ages looking at packs for hammocking before settling on the Mariposa plus. The mesh pockets are huge and theres some good features. 73 L in the large back size, 690g, use socks as padding for the straps. Winwood-outdoor in the lakes are the only UK importers.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Too late now teepee but I have bookmarked incase I change rucksacks in the future. Saying that if I were to drop a bit more cash I'd be looking towards the Z-Packs Blast 32 which is 53 litres in cuben fiber but only 220g! Now that's crazy..

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Highbinder, a friend of mine did the Pennine way using the same Pinnacle as the one you've ordered and found it fine and comfortable. He stuffed his foam roll mat inside against his back to add some rigidity and took a lightweight poncho which served as both his waterproof cover and for his rucksack. He said it rained continuously for a couple of days and the poncho kept the water out.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Too late now teepee but I have bookmarked incase I change rucksacks in the future. Saying that if I were to drop a bit more cash I'd be looking towards the Z-Packs Blast 32 which is 53 litres in cuben fiber but only 220g! Now that's crazy..

That looks a great pack HB, especially for weekends. I've not seen that one before. It I'm a sucker for anything in Cuben :) 220g-Wow! I think I would still go for the mariposa if I was buying today, but only because of the larger volume I need.

I didn't see your post where you said you'd ordered-Durrrrr. Hope your new pack works great for you ;)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Me too. Should get here midweek and I'll try it out this weekend. If it sucks I can go back to my Highlander 88l even if it is three times the weight ahhh ;) hehheh

Saying that if I were to drop a bit more cash I'd be looking towards the Z-Packs Blast 32 which is 53 litres in cuben fiber but only 220g! Now that's crazy..

When the website states that “the expected life span is one full thru-hike”, can carry 30 pounds (“but lighter loads are encouraged”) and the price is $195, that to my mind is poor value. A thru-hike of most of the North American trails will take a reasonably fit person a few months. $200 for a pack that is little more than a sack with some straps on it, can’t actually carry more than a frighteningly minimalist loadout, and will last a relatively short period of time, no matter how much of a weight savings it might be, just strikes me as a rip off.

Disposable packs aren’t a bargain. They’re probably fun for people to make, they're fun for people living in warm climates who have silly amounts of money to burn. Other than that....yeah right. If I had a pile of say Tyvek that was just going to go in the garbage anyway, I might be tempted to spend a few hours making a pack of some sort out of it. If it rips or breaks or proves to be a failure, meh, it was essentially garbage anyway. Would I buy a pack out of brand new high tech material to get a few months of hard use out of? Uhhh...no. I would rather pay more for a light weight pack that is guaranteed to last a lot longer and backed by a top notch warranty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE