Lightweight plate or bowl

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really like my Alpkit titanium mug :cool: and though I can use it for stew or soup or the like I really need another dish of some sort and I can't find a titanium one........is that even a good idea? Hot comes to mind without a handle.
I can usually find something growing that allows me to weave something simple that will *do* but I'd like a more permanent solution.
I've disliked using the aluminium ones of my youth since I realised that he mess on the drying cloth was metal :eek: and I'm a bit wary of the lexan ones too near a fire.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

cheers,
Toddy

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I've disliked using the aluminium ones of my youth since I realised that he mess on the drying cloth was metal :eek:

I remember seein that Alzheimer sufferers have high concentrations of aluminium in the brain, which I vaguely (in a non-medical way) recall had something to do with the on set on Alzheimers.

Added to which, a Doc at Jimmy's in Leeds who was in the climbing / caving gang warned against the culinary use of aluminium for a variety of reasons.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Alzheimer's Society Factsheet - Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease

It has been claimed that the brain content of aluminium is increased in Alzheimer's disease. However, recent studies in which Alzheimer brains were carefully compared with normal brains failed to find any difference in the overall amount of aluminium.

[...]

The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for all the ideas folks :You_Rock_

Now I've just got to make up my mind :rolleyes: I really fancy that gripped bowl but....in titanium....

I know that there seems to be no concrete evidence about a connection between aluminium and alzheimers, but I really don't think it's a bad idea to minimise the amount of unneccesary aluminium in our diets either. Those plates were just *such* an obvious illustration of the amount that must come off into food served on them though. Why were they so soft? Household pots didn't leave that amount of muck on the towels. :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Toddy,

The Tatonka bowl weighs 155g and is 180mm diameter. I noticed these details were missing from the website.

For £5 it's got to be worth a try.

Stewey.:D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
No, I don't think there's anything wrong with minimising your intake, I just don't want anybody panicking and ditching all their cookware...

As for why so much was coming off your plates - had they been exposed to much in the way of acids? It shouldn't even be alu metal coming off - alu readily forms a oxide in air, which should stick to and protect the metal quite effectively. It's normally a really bugger to get off when you want to...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers again Stew :D I reckon I'm having one of those.

Hi Dunc,
These were bog standard Scout shop camping plates and every one of them gave off a grey stuff that looked like the colour of pencil lead. In fact I think I've still got a couple of them in the loft :rolleyes: It wasn't even that they had been scrubbed that hard either, just handling them left hands dirty.

Pots and baking trays are described as anodised, maybe that's the difference :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

RHGraham

Jun 23, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
www.rhgraham.com
Hard anodized aluminum is slightly more abrasion/scratch resistant than stainless steel commonly used for cookware and will eliminate the worry about untreated aluminum.
I've always been a slight bit concerned with raw aluminum myself but the anodizing does away with the risk, if there is one.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You sure they weren't lead? ;)

Pretty much anything you'd buy made of alu these days is anodised. But even non-anodised alu shouldn't do that... None of the stuff I've ever worked with has, even after grinding off the original surface. Maybe it was some weird alloy... Or maybe they'd used some old-fashioned coating process that didn't give durable results.

Like I say, the usual problem is that it's hard to get the oxide coating off when you want to. Either lots of abrasion or strong reagents are normally required.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Cheers again Stew :D I reckon I'm having one of those.

Hi Dunc,
These were bog standard Scout shop camping plates and every one of them gave off a grey stuff that looked like the colour of pencil lead. In fact I think I've still got a couple of them in the loft :rolleyes: It wasn't even that they had been scrubbed that hard either, just handling them left hands dirty.

Pots and baking trays are described as anodised, maybe that's the difference :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

Are you sure they were not pewter plates, you know the kind Richy Rich scouts had:lmao:

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
gregorach, ta for the updated info mate..........but, I am a great believer of where there is smoke there is fire so I still will not use ally personally.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There is no link between aluminium and alzheimer's, thankfully, that myth has been shot down .

Back to the original question, Toddy, my local Wilkinson store sell stainless steel dog food bowls for £1.99 in various sizes and are good quality

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
I use a 70cl. Snowpeak titanium mug and find it great for cooking and boiling etc.
But if you want some thing to eat from and not for cooking with, plastic is the cheapest and lightest and will not conduct heat well and burn your hands.
I've just picked up a couple of these strange things to play with.
http://www.orikaso.com/
On first impressions the bowl and plate seem to be quite sturdy and weight practically nothing.
Happy trails...torc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE