Lightweight fishing in remote mountain lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I'm planning a Pyrenees trip this summer and want to fish the remote lakes but don't want to carry a rod/reel as I'm planning on going ultra-lightweight. So I was wondering about a length of line, piece of found wood as float, bit of weight and a baited hook. Is that doable?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Doable, check local bye laws to fishing though, breaking the law could ruin your holiday.

all you need is a spool of line (6lb), hooks and weights. Buy some floats, small ones as they weigh nothing and make life easier. You could get a small telescopic rod , recommend the Shimano exage range, reliable and light.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Last edited:

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
All these handlines work, but imo MUCH more fun, flexible, and effective with a telescopic rod (£1 @ Poundland etc) and a wee carbon fixed spool reel - both VERY light. Sounds like a great trip!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Can't really comment on hand lines beyond having used them to catch crabs as a kid, however, a usable rod doesn't have to be heavy, pen fishing rods come highly recommended. Very respectable for their weight.

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As said, first check the local laws. Assuming it's legal there is still another option to the two already mentioned: 1)handlines or 2) small, telescoping rods. That third option is cut a pole on site (willow or river cane, etc.)

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
As said, first check the local laws. Assuming it's legal there is still another option to the two already mentioned: 1)handlines or 2) small, telescoping rods. That third option is cut a pole on site (willow or river cane, etc.)

Given the OP talks about being up in the pyrenees, depending on altitude, trees, esp willow, may be scarce.

That said, a walking pole might work...

J

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
When I'm talking about ultralight I'm doing the entire GR10 and so even an extra 200g is too much. So no rod, no reel.

It is a hard route, weight reduction is important, not sure how much fishing you'll manage unless your going to come down of the route for a few days, it'll be very hot in the summer months though, be able to carry lots of water.

There are rangers about, so check the bye laws on fishing.

Have fun, post some pics.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Just for clarity, I have absolutely no idea if you can use a walking pole as a fishing rod, if it would be legal, and if it would work. I do however ask, if you try it, please can you let us know on here how well it worked, or didn't work.

Whilst I would say I go fishing, I don't really, I enjoy the view and sacrifice tackle to the Poseidon... One day I'll catch something. One day...

Julia

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
:) No problem............Wondering if a hole drilled in the "snow/mud Basket" on a walking pole would serve as an eyelet for the line??

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
This guy has a simple approach to bushcraft fishing - might be adaptable for use with a walking pole on rivers or ponds????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMD1HeSH0E0

Just watched that vid (thanks posting peaks :)), just thought I’d add (for folks who are not regular fishers and unfamiliar with technique, regular fishers will already know what I am about to say), though the guy didn’t say in detail the secret of that technique is that you can feel the fish bite by holding the line, hold stick with one hand and with the other free hand pinch the line between your finger and thumb, when the fish takes your bait you will feel a ‘tremble’ on the line held between your fingers, it is in effect a bite indicator (commonly called freelining by fishermen). That method is far better than just tying a fishing line direct to the top of stick. There is another advantage too in that you can use longer lengths of line and therefore cast out farther by letting the line run through the makeshift ‘eye’. --- (sorry if it sounds like I am stating the obvious, it may be obvious to regular fishers but perhaps not to non- fishers). --- regarding using the same method on a walking pole, it is perfectly possible, however a stick that is flexible is better than a rigid walking pole, and a stick that is longer than a walking pole will give more control in both casting and retrieving fish.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Just watched that vid (thanks posting peaks :)), just thought I’d add (for folks who are not regular fishers and unfamiliar with technique, regular fishers will already know what I am about to say), though the guy didn’t say in detail the secret of that technique is that you can feel the fish bite by holding the line, hold stick with one hand and with the other free hand pinch the line between your finger and thumb, when the fish takes your bait you will feel a ‘tremble’ on the line held between your fingers, it is in effect a bite indicator (commonly called freelining by fishermen). That method is far better than just tying a fishing line direct to the top of stick. There is another advantage too in that you can use longer lengths of line and therefore cast out farther by letting the line run through the makeshift ‘eye’. --- (sorry if it sounds like I am stating the obvious, it may be obvious to regular fishers but perhaps not to non- fishers). --- regarding using the same method on a walking pole, it is perfectly possible, however a stick that is flexible is better than a rigid walking pole, and a stick that is longer than a walking pole will give more control in both casting and retrieving fish.

Good advice Joonsy!
Where I fish that guy wouldn't get much - too much wading about. Fish can see, and sense through vibrations along their lateral line, so while talking doesn't matter, thumping and water-waves do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE