lightweight boots ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Can anyone help?

My old walking boots have just about had it and so it's time to find a replacement.
Because I only wear them in the summer I'm not looking for hardcore walking boots, more waterproof, strong mochasins. Perhaps with a slightly thicker sole. I want to use them for stalking so feel is important

Any ideas?

I'm not able to get on the net over the week end so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't reply till next week.

Thanks

Mark

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Pukka Moc's would be expensive and not so long lived!

I would recommend either - Hi tech trails, a suede and nylon boot which has a decent sole and are incredibly light - I wore a pair of these for many years until they literaly rotted of me. Ideal for both street and field btw.

Or

Rogue boots, south african made with a distinctive tread (as the guys on the last tracking course will tell you) these are ankle boots and all leather. A little spongy in the wet but if only want them for summer use they will be fine.

For the Rogue boots seek out John Muirden at unbeatentracks.com - the hi-treks you can get all over the place.

One last thought Tracpac make a Desert boot which is getting good reviews so if you want a hi-leg boot try those.

Hope that helped.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Mark,

I'm with Gary on this one, he's named my 2 favourite boots. The Rogues are what I will be taking with me on my woodlore course, they are so comfortable its beyond belief. The Trails were my first joice for stalking bunnies and general knock about use. I haven't seen them in the shops for a while though.

Dave

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've never had a lightweight boot ... currently I'm wearing Lowa Combat's (which weigh in at just under 2.5 lb or just over a kilo each :shock: ).

The Hi-Tecs look good tho ... I think Kath has a pair somewhere and had some she wore a few years back too.

N

narsil

If you like hi-leg boots then hi tech magnums are not at all bad. You can get them quite cheap if you shop around. I've had quite few pairs now. They do tend to fall to bits after a while, mine usually give up the ghost after about 18 months, but then they're not very expensive to replace and I do wear them pretty much all the time. The standard one aren't very waterproof as they have nylon uppers but for summer use thats not much of a problem. There are also a lot of similar boots by other makers at widely varing prices.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I've looked at the magnums, they now make a desert version, light brown rather than black. I think I would prefer to have something a little softer if possible.

When you say Rogues, which model are you refering to, I think the Veldskoen would be OK but I don't think it comes with a sewn in tougne.
When you're walking through a corn field at five in the morning it's surprising how much dew is around even in the height of summer !
I've been soaked up to my knees on many occassions.

I was wondering if anybody did man made mochasins, say with a goretex lining to make them waterproof, mid calf length, sewn in tougne amd a very light sole. Perhaps something like a boxer boot - or should that be the type of boot a boxer wears ? But with a slightly deeper tread on the sole.

Cheers

Mark

Brynglas

If it's dry, and you can get hold of them, a great pair of (very) lightweight stalking boots are the old fashioned British Army hockey boots. They're very similar to the Converse Alll Star baseball boots but are dark green in colour.

I know that Silvermans had some limited sizes in stock, and I doubt that they'd be too expensive.

For stalking and trying to move quietly over broken ground these are very good, however they wouldn't be suitable for any particularly long walks or where you'd need a lot of support.

Otherwise, and you may scoff at this. A revelation to me this spring has been a pair of Dunlop 'purafort' wellies. £25, extremely lightweight, comfortable enough to wear all day, really good grip and a soft compound rubber sole which is absolutely fantastic through the woods, and of course waterproof. I bought mine at my local farmers co-op and I've been really impressed. Not fancy, no gimmicks but they do the job.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cool - well done!

As for the hockey boots - they're what I like to use too. Green and black one - nice thin sole.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
There are a fair few patterns online... No idea how they compare with the ones you're using, natch. All I have to hand at the moment is veg tanned leather, and the premium grade stuff at that!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
Buckshot said:
Can anyone help?

My old walking boots have just about had it and so it's time to find a replacement.
Because I only wear them in the summer I'm not looking for hardcore walking boots, more waterproof, strong mochasins. Perhaps with a slightly thicker sole. I want to use them for stalking so feel is important

Any ideas?

I'm not able to get on the net over the week end so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't reply till next week.

ThanksMark

Have you considered a pair of Tabi boots? Available from most martial arts supplies, are very comfortable if you don't mind the split toe. They're pretty tough excellent sensitivity/feel and very grippy, good for climbing in. You can also cotton proof them and/or wear sealskins underneath them. The're also very lightweight, I often carry them for use arround camp and as a spare set of footwear, though mine are looking a bit tatty, they have survived for about 5 years with the occasional repair with vulcanising solution. :)

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Tabi are excellent I had a pair for years. They can be rolled up and only take up the size of the sole in your pack.

Mine I am afraid have mysteriously disappeared whilst moving house. I have asked my wife but she says she hasn't seen them :-?

James

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
That's a good idea Bushblade, you don't have any info on them do you ?

What do you mean by 'Sealskins' ? Are they waterproof socks like the goretex ones ?

Cheers

Mark

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
what about sandles and a pair of gortex socks. cheap and light.
I use a pair of clarks active air shoes.the RRP is £80 but i got 2 pairs for £30 from an outlet shop. very good seem to last well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE